[comp.text.tex] Installing TeX on Suns

ciamac@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Ciamac Moallemi) (08/27/90)

I have the task on installing TeX on a group of Sun SparcStation
IPC's.  I have used TeX in the past and am fairly familiar with it,
yet I have never installed it.  I do not want to use the unix TeX
distribution, as it is outdated (2.95 versus the curent 3.0).  How do
I go about this?  From what I understand, I have to retrieve a file
web2c to convert the TeX .web sources to c.  Is there any easy way of
doing this entire process?  I am looking for pointers to info files,
etc. telling me what files I need, how to build the fonts, how to
install everything in its proper directory, etc.  A makefile would be
very useful.  Also, I have heard of a program ImakeTex.  What does
this do and where can I get it?

Thank you for any help.  These are probably very stupid questions, but
they are not answered in FAQ and I have also been monitoring this and
other groups to no avail.

//cm
--
Ciamac Moallemi                       | ciamac@sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences | ciamac@ccnysci.BITNET

wilcox@mars.cis.ohio-state.edu (Patricia P Wilcox) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug26.185257.22313@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> ciamac@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Ciamac Moallemi) writes:
>I do not want to use the unix TeX distribution, as it is outdated
>(2.95 versus the curent 3.0) ... I am looking for pointers to info files,
>etc. telling me what files I need, how to build the fonts, how to
>install everything in its proper directory, etc.

Get the latest Unix TeX distribution tape from the University of
Washington.  The tape contains the up-to-date TeX 3.0/Metafont 2.0
release, unlike the ftp sites mentioned in "frequently asked questions"
in this newsgroup.  It also includes comprehensive installation
instructions (complete with flowchart!)

Having everything complete and up to date in one place is well worth
the modest cost of the tape.  (Last I checked it was $140 or $160
depending on the kind of tape, plus shipping.)

For details, e-mail Pierre MacKay  (MacKay@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU)
or write to:
     TeX Support
     Northwest Computing Support Center,DR-10
     University of Washington
     Seattle, WA  98195    U.S.A
or phone:
     (206)543-6259

--Pat Wilcox    (wilcox@cis.ohio-state.edu)

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug26.185257.22313@sci.ccny.cuny.edu>, ciamac@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Ciamac Moallemi) writes...
>I do not want to use the unix TeX
>distribution, as it is outdated (2.95 versus the curent 3.0).

Reason number 6,432 for ordering the TeX tape from University of
Washington.

It **IS** up to date. The tape you get will have TeX 3.0, MF 2.0
and the most recent copies of all utilities and auxiliary files.

For more information about the Unix TeX distribution, contact
Elizabeth Tachikawa, elizabet@max.acs.washington.edu (not only
can she tell you how to get the tape, once you have it, she'll be
more than happy to help you get it running).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

ramsdell@mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) (08/28/90)

For those of you living in the modern world of networks:

You can get the TeX sources in

	labrea.stanford.edu:pub/tex

Do not get what is in labrea.stanford.edu:pub/tex/UnixTeX.

If you want software which automates the installation on Sun's, IBM
AIX, NeXT, and VAX Ultrics, first get

	labrea.stanford.edu:pub/imaketex101.tar.Z.

John

kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) (08/29/90)

In article <8208@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>In article <blah>, ciamac@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Ciamac Moallemi) writes...
>>I do not want to use the unix TeX
>>distribution, as it is outdated (2.95 versus the curent 3.0).
>
>Reason number 6,432 for ordering the TeX tape from University of
>Washington.
>
>It **IS** up to date. The tape you get will have TeX 3.0, MF 2.0
>and the most recent copies of all utilities and auxiliary files.
>
>For more information about the Unix TeX distribution, contact
>Elizabeth Tachikawa, elizabet@max.acs.washington.edu (not only
>can she tell you how to get the tape, once you have it, she'll be
>more than happy to help you get it running).

\begin{miniflame}

Look, I *really* appreciate what the folks at washington (and FSF, and
elsewhere) are doing, and would love to do my best to support them.  But this
is not the first time a message like this has appeared -- suggesting it's
just plain trivial to get a check (no matter how small) cut to order a tape.
For those of us in huge organizations (read: Your Government, Inc.), the
amount of effort involved in generating the $150 (?)  check would cost us far
more than the actual cost.  I know this isn't anyone's fault per se, but just
realize that some folks have very good reason to use ftp to acquire their
software.

\end{miniflame}

So please, if someone could post a nice, clean summary of making unix tex 3.0
with what *is* available from labrea and elsewhere, that would be much more
appreciated.  Sorry to offend anyone at washington, I'm sure the $150 goes
to good use.

We return now to our regularly-scheduled programming.

Kevin Thompson
--
kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov     NASA-Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA

dag@persoft.com (Daniel A. Glasser) (09/01/90)

In article <7243@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) writes:
>In article <8208@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>>In article <blah>, ciamac@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Ciamac Moallemi) writes...
>>>I do not want to use the unix TeX
>>>distribution, as it is outdated (2.95 versus the curent 3.0).
>>Reason number 6,432 for ordering the TeX tape from University of
>>Washington.
>\begin{miniflame}
>                        I know this isn't anyone's fault per se, but just
>realize that some folks have very good reason to use ftp to acquire their
>software.
>\end{miniflame}
>So please, if someone could post a nice, clean summary of making unix tex 3.0
>with what *is* available from labrea and elsewhere, that would be much more
>appreciated.  Sorry to offend anyone at washington, I'm sure the $150 goes
>to good use.

There is another reason that some of us cannot just order the tape.
We don't have either the tape drives or storage capacity for the
distribution!

On many of the small 386 based machines (like persoft.com), there is a
total of between 100 and 150 MB of disk space and no tape drive.
Since persoft.com has no direct Internet connection, my only choice
is to connect to a guest account on a machine which does have Internet
access, pull across one file at a time, and kermit it at 2400 baud
to a 386 AT clone, at home, pack the files onto DOS disks, carry the
disks into work, copy the files to the Unix machine, and hope that
I got the right ones.

I've not actually started this process yet.  I've been trying to determine
what files I actually need.  I've got lots of pk fonts (for TeX 2.x)
stored for my Atari ST (also at home) so I'm hoping that I don't have
to fetch EVERYTHING across the net/phone-connection.

If the University of Washington offered a distribution on 5.25" 1.2Mb
SysV style floppies which was geared to the SysV/386 crowd, they would
get an order from me today.
--
          Daniel A. Glasser  |  Persoft, Inc.  |  dag@persoft.com
                "Their brains were small, and they died."

fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) (09/03/90)

In article <7243@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) writes:

>\begin{miniflame}
....deleted
>just plain trivial to get a check (no matter how small) cut to order a tape.
>For those of us in huge organizations (read: Your Government, Inc.), the
>amount of effort involved in generating the $150 (?)  check would cost us far

\begin{subflame}{sanity}

Kevin, quit yor job now while you still have some sanity left!!! :-)
I knew Dan Quayle was in charge but 150 measly dollars.  No wonder the
damn space-station is still on the ground in Toledo...

\end{subflame}

--
Hi-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING in the above article has any relationship
            to reality. If any reality correspondences are found,