Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 13:21 MET
From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: In need of cmssbxsl font

        The title says it all really, we are in need of a sans-seriff
        font, bold extended, slanted (or italic). Has anybody created
        such a beauty? If so, could you please send us a copy?

    Thanx in advance,

        Johannes Braams and Sjaak Schilperoort

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl

E-mail was :
    EARN/BITnet : BRAAMS@HLSDNL5   UUCP        : hp4nl!dnlunx!johannes
    SURFnet     : DNLTS::BRAAMS    INTERnet    : BRAAMS%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
 PSS (DATAnet1) : +204 1170358::BRAAMS

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 18:08 ADT
From: Gus Gassmann <GASSMANN%EARTH.SBA.DAL.CA@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: IBM laser, HP laserjet, DVIJEP

Hi all!

We are in the process of migrating our TeX from an LN03 laser printer to an
IBM laser, which emulates an HP laserjet plus. During the testing phase
some peculiar problems came up to which we do not have answers:

1. Using DVIJEP version 2.10 (--- what is the current version of this driver?)
   we noticed some very funny inter-character spacing using a two-page
   document and cmr10 (at the default size of 10pt). On two occasions, the
   letter combination "li" was much too close together (almost like a
   ligature), on another occasion there was not enough space between "it".
2. The same error showed up when we printed the file on a genuine HP laserjet,
   which seems to point the finger at the driver.
3. We also tested a commercial product from ArborText, which did not exhibit
   the same error, but on two occasions put >too much< white space in the
   letter combination "po".

We attribute these problems to round-off errors, but we are not sure where
they might occur. Has anyone experienced similar trouble? Can it be fixed?
Is there a driver for the HP laserjet plus that >works<? (Public domain is
preferred, although we will look at proprietary solutions, if necessary.)

Gus Gassmann
School of Business Administration
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

gassmann @ earth.sba.dal.ca

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 09:00 CDT
From: U2591AA@VMS.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU
Subject: postscript figures and laserprep

Can anyone pick this one up?   I know absolutely nothing about postscript,
nor about laserprep.

Scott McCullough
u2591aa@vms.ucc.okstate.edu

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 21:51 GMT
From: HANDEL@cmpo.mit.edu
Subject: vertical crowding of fraction bars

I have consulted Andrew Greene of SIPB at MIT, one of our local TeX hackers.
He was stumped and said to send this problem off to you.

In the following brief example, in several fractions set in text mode
(including one that is part of a displayed equation) that have
descenders, ascenders, subscripts, etc., there is contact between a
character and the fraction bar.  To the best of my knowledge, we are using
standard CM fonts.  Is this a problem with the font specification?  Is there
any way to correct it?

Also, brackets created with \left[ \right] pairs sometimes do not seem tall
enough to enclose, which seems to be a similar problem.  Examples can be sent
on request, but I think you have the idea.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.  The file was compiled with
LaTeX.

File follows:

\documentstyle[fleqn,12pt]{report}
\newcommand{\nc}{\newcommand}
\nc{\pa}{\partial}
\def\grtl#1#2{\nc{#1}{\mbox{$#2$}}}
\grtl{\ph}{\phi}
\grtl{\th}{\theta}
\nc{\pdr}[1]{\frac{\pa #1}{dr}}

\begin{document}

 Making use of the gradient wind relation,
eq.~(\ref{eq:grwind}),
\begin{equation}
 \pdr{\th_m} = \frac{ \left( f + \frac{v_2}{r} \right) v_2
   - \left( f + \frac{v_1}{r} \right) v_1}{c_p ( \pi_1 - \pi_2)}\ .
\end{equation}
(The only other use of the gradient wind relation has been to show
that $M_0 = M_1$, for the simplification that the boundary layer and
the lower layer have the same density.)  This assumes that
$\frac{\ \pa\pi}{\pi\, \pa r} \ll \frac{\pa\ph}{\ph\, \pa r}$.
Since
$\frac{d\pi}{\pi} = \frac{2}{7}\frac{dp}{p}$, this requirement is \ldots

Since $\frac{drv_1^{(0)}}{r\,dr} = $, etc.
\end{document}

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 1990 15:13:48 PDT
From: Max Hailperin <mxh@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: vertical crowding of fraction bars

When I LaTeX and print your file, there is no contact between any character
and a fraction bar, but some come very close.  Your problem might be with
your font files, dvi-to-whatever converter, or output device.  If you are
using a very low resolution output device (say, < 300 dots per inch) this
might well cause the problem.  Alternatively, very soft focus or other
physical effects which cause the dots to spread might be involved.  Assuming
there is nothing the matter with the output device, then you probably have
font bitmaps which were created from the master MetaFont sources using
innapropriate "mode" definition for the output device, which specifies things
like the resolution and tendancy of dots to spread out or thin out.  Less
likely but possible would be a dvi-driver problem with pixel rounding.  In
any case, all of these issues are rather site specific (though there is
such a thing as a "standard" CM font at the MF source level, there is no
such thing as a standard bitmap version).  Therefore, it might be most
productive if you took this above list of candidates back to your local
TeX wizard and got to work on a process of elimination (unless of course
you are using a low-resolution printer: then don't even bother; such visual
niceties don't matter for drafts anyway, which is all such a printer is good
for).

Date: 5 Aug 90 21:04:00 EST
From: "Jeffrey Templon" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Need help with Latex figure captioning

Hi,

	Hope someone can help me out.  I am using Latex and would like
my figure captions to come out differently.  They are printed (in ARTICLE
style anyway) with the same character size, line spacing and margins
as the normal text; the result is that it is difficult to tell where the
figure-caption ends and the text re-begins (I am no expert, but it seems
that this must violate latex's goal of forcing one to use good page
layout...)   How do I change these parameters JUST WITHIN the caption?
(and will it work in table environments too?)

	Thanks for any help.		--jeff

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 1990 9:24:56 PDT
From: Max Hailperin <mxh@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: LaTeX-help moved

The LaTeX-help volunteer question-answering round-robin service has moved.
Although the previously published address at sumex-aim will continue to work
for the forseeable future, greater reliability and speed will be achieved by
instead mailing to: LaTeX-help@cs.Stanford.edu .  In related news, I have
passed on the coordinatorship to Ed Sznyter; many thanks to him for
volunteering.

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 12:57:05 +0300
From: Malki Cymbalista <VUMALKI%WEIZMANN@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Huge TeX on a SUN 3/50

I would like to create HUGE TeX on a SUN 3/50.  How do I go about it?
Any help will be appreciated.  Malki
       Bitnet: vumalki@weizmann
       Internet: vumalki@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il

Date:    07/30/90 08:37:03 GMT+1
From: UO04%DDAGSI3@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: METAPLOT

H.Friedrich Kammer
0441/798-3467
FB Physik Theorie Universitaet Oldenburg
Postfach 2503
D-2900 Oldenburg FRG

In a magazine ('ct) in an article by Stefan Lindner I read that there
exists a program METAPLOT which converts the HPGL language into
METAFONT. This enables a very portable way to integrate graphics in
a TeX document. Has anyone heard about that program, on which system
it runs, where to get it etc.? Please answer to
 UO04@DDAGSI3.BITNET  or 115358@DOLUNI1.BITNET.
             Thanks in advance, Friedrich Kammer

Date:  Wed, 25 Jul 90 16:10:47 EST
From: Christina_Thiele%CARLETON.CA@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject:  Seeking Questionnaires from the TUG '90 Meeting in TeXas...

This is a reminder to all those who attended the 1990 TeX Users
Group meeting in College Station, June 18--20. If you haven't
already done so, would you please return your completed
questionnaires to me. I have only received 47 so far, but I'm sure
there are many more still out there -- we had over 150 people in
attendance ;-))

Please send your questionnaires to the address below, or e-mail
the answers to me at the address shown above (Subject = TAM
Questionnaire). Or you can even FAX your questionnaire...

The more questionnaires I have, the better we can plan next year's
12th Annual Meeting, in Providence, Rhode Island.

Many thanks in advance...

Snail:  Christina Thiele        E-mail: Christina_Thiele@carleton.ca
        Journal Production Centre
        DT 1711
        Carleton University     FAX: 613/788-2340
        Ottawa, Ontario
        K1S 5B6  Canada

Christina Thiele <Christina_Thiele@CARLETON.CA>

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 16:31:49 EDT
From: Denys Duchier <duchier-denys@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject: an environment for very large tables

Here is another contribution to the old problem of splitting very
large tables across pages.  I define a `Tabular' environment which is
essentially identical to LaTeX's `tabular' environment, except it
doesn't take an optional argument and horizontal positioning is
controlled by \Tabularleftskip and \Tabularrightskip (default is
centered).

 --Denys

%  Tabular.sty
%  Denys Duchier, Yale University, July 1990
%
%  This file defines a \Tabular environment which is essentially
%  similar to the \tabular environment but is able to handle very
%  large tables which have to be split across pages.
%
%  The major distinction is that \Tabular doesn't take an optional
%  argument.  It behaves much like \begin{tabular*}{\linewidth} with
%  \Tabularleftskip and \Tabularrightskip used as the stretchable glue
%  on either side.  Also, instead of contributing the table as a large
%  box, it performs a \unvbox so that individual rows are contributed
%  instead and page breaks can occur between them.
%
%              \begin{Tabular}{...} ... \end{Tabular}
%
%  has essentially the same effect as:
%
%  \begin{center}\begin{tabular}{...} ... \end{tabular}\end{center}
%
%  but may be split across pages.
%
%      {\Tabularleftskip  = 0pt
%       \Tabularrightskip = 0pt
%       \begin{Tabular}{@{}l@{\extracolsep{\fill}}cr@{}}
%           ...
%       \end{Tabular}}
%
%  will produce a 3 column table with the left column flushed left,
%  the right column flushed right, and equal spacing between the
%  columns.

\newskip\Tabularleftskip  \Tabularleftskip\@flushglue
\newskip\Tabularrightskip \Tabularrightskip\@flushglue

\newbox\Tabularbox

%  let's count the number of columns so that we know how many columns
%  hlines must span.

\newcount\Tabularcount
\newcount\Tabularcolumns
\def\@Tabclassz{\global\advance\Tabularcount\@ne\@tabclassz}
\let\@latexclassiii\@classiii
\def\@Tabclassiii{\global\advance\Tabularcount\@ne\@latexclassiii}

%  allow page breaks between rows

\def\@Tabularcr{{\ifnum0=`}\fi\@ifstar{\@xTabularcr}{\@xTabularcr}}
\def\@xTabularcr{\@ifnextchar[{\@argTabularcr}{\ifnum0=`{\fi}\cr
  \noalign{\pagebreak[1]}}}

\def\@argTabularcr[#1]{\ifnum0=`{\fi}\ifdim #1>\z@
   \unskip\@xargarraycr{#1}\else \@yargarraycr{#1}\fi
 \noalign{\pagebreak[1]}}

%  \hline is redefined to output 2 lines one on top of the other, with
%  a slightly more encouraging \pagebreak than between normal rows.
%  Thus, if a page break must occur, there will a line at the bottom,
%  and it will be repeated at the top of the next page too.  This is
%  visually much more appealing.

\let\@latexhline\hline
\let\@latextabarray\@tabarray
\def\@tabarray{\let\hline\@latexhline\@latextabarray}
\def\Tabularhline{\multispan{\Tabularcolumns}{\unskip\leaders\hrule
    height\arrayrulewidth\hfill}\cr
  \noalign{\vskip-\arrayrulewidth\pagebreak[2]}%
  \multispan{\Tabularcolumns}{\unskip\leaders\hrule
    height\arrayrulewidth\hfill}\cr}

\def\Tabular#1{\trivlist\item[]\noindent
  \setbox\Tabularbox\vbox\bgroup
    \let\@acol\@tabacol
    \let\@classz\@Tabclassz
    \let\@classiii\@Tabclassiii
    \let\@classiv\@tabclassiv
    \let\\\@Tabularcr
    \setbox\@arstrutbox=\hbox{\vrule
        height\arraystretch \ht\strutbox
        depth\arraystretch  \dp\strutbox
        width\z@}%
    \global\Tabularcount\z@
    \@mkpream{#1}%
    \Tabularcolumns\Tabularcount
    \let\hline\Tabularhline
    \let\@classiii\@latexclassiii
    \tabskip\Tabularleftskip
    \edef\@preamble{\halign to\linewidth\bgroup
      \tabskip\z@ \@arstrut \@preamble
      \tabskip\Tabularrightskip \cr}%
    \let\@starpbox\@@startpbox
    \let\@endpbox\@@endpbox
    \let\@sharp##\let\protect\relax
    \lineskip\z@\baselineskip\z@
    \@preamble}

\def\endTabular{\crcr\egroup\egroup\unvbox\Tabularbox\endtrivlist}

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 20:43:53 -0700
From: Joe Pallas <pallas@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Missing symbol

   Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 10:17:23 +1000
   From: David Wright <wright@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au>

   Dear LaTeX-helper

   In my copy of the LaTeX book (5th printing, Sept. 1986) on page 45 is
   a table of "Variable-sized Symbols". In this table one notes that most
   things have "opposites" (the opposite of \prod being \coprod etc).
   However there is no opposite of \bigsqcup (\bigsqcap). This pair of
   symbols is essential for writing the Least Upper Bound and Greatest
   Lower Bound operations. Is there some way that I can get a GLB symbol
   (\bigsqcap)? I need this for my thesis, so it is quite urgent! It
   would be best if it behaved similarly to \bigsqcup when in displaymath
   mode.

   Thanks for any help that you can give me,

   David Wright

   David A. Wright			Email: wright@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
   Department of EE & CS                   Tel: (002)-20-2374
   University of Tasmania                  (overseas): +61-02-20-2374
   GPO Box 252C, Hobart 7001, Tasmania, Australia

I'm afraid the best I can offer here is not perfect.  For whatever
reason, there simply is no variable-size operator form of \bigsqcap.
I can offer a fake substitute based on \sqcap, but it will not look
the same as a \bigsqcap would.  (The \bigsqcup is bolder and deeper
than \sqcup, but the fake \bigsqcap is just bigger than \sqcap).

This version will, however, behave the right way in both regular and
display math.  You might want to consider redefining \bigsqcup
similarly so that the two don't look too different if you are using
them both.

\newcommand\bigsqcap{\mathop{\mathchoice
	{\vcenter{\hbox{\LARGE $ \sqcap $}}}	% display
	{\vcenter{\hbox{\large $ \sqcap $}}}	% text
	{\vcenter{\hbox{$ \sqcap $}}}		% script
	{\vcenter{\hbox{\small $ \sqcap $}}}}}	% scriptscript

joe

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest