[comp.text.tex] LaTeX endnotes, degree symbol

susan@crysiris.rice.edu (susan chacko) (09/07/90)

Hi. I'm a novice LaTeX user with a couple of (probably very simple)
problems. Hope someone can help.
1) The journal I'm submitting a paper to requires 'endnotes' rather than
footnotes. How can I change the footnotes in Latex to be collected and
printed all together at the end?
2) How do I get the 'degree' symbol (i.e the small circle above and to
the right of the #). The Latex manual says I should use $\deg$, but this
just produces the letters 'deg' in Roman type.
ALl info will be deeply appreciated. Email or post if you think anyone
else will be interested.
Susan (susan@crysiris.rice.edu)

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.201811.2221@rice.edu>, susan@crysiris.rice.edu (susan chacko) writes...
>2) How do I get the 'degree' symbol (i.e the small circle above and to
>the right of the #). The Latex manual says I should use $\deg$, but this
>just produces the letters 'deg' in Roman type.

$90^\circ$ will give the appropriate response. I once had a
moment of panic in a class I taught which had a former co-worker
in it who claimed she got the degrees sign typing \degrees... I
was greatly perplexed by this and went digging through the
TeXbook to see how I might have missed this. Later that day she
indicated that it was a macro in a file I'd given her once upon a
time. (sigh)

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

kcb@hss.caltech.edu (KC Border) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.201811.2221@rice.edu> susan@crysiris.rice.edu (susan chacko) writes:
>1) The journal I'm submitting a paper to requires 'endnotes' rather than
>footnotes. How can I change the footnotes in Latex to be collected and
>printed all together at the end?

I use the following, admittedly not perfect style option. I would like
to see a better one.
% endnotes.sty
% *************** Footnotes into Endnotes ***************
% Kim C. Border, Sep 4 1990
% kcb@hss.caltech.edu
%
% This file may be freely copied, modified, and distributed.
%
% Many journals in the humanities and social sciences require endnotes
% rather than footnotes. This style option reads the contents of
% a \footnote command verbatim into a file \jobname.end, whence
% they may be retrieved by an \endnotes command.
%
% It is a \documenstyle option, e.g., \documentstyle[endnotes]{article}.
% Place the command \endnotes where you want the notes to appear:
% after the last footnote, usually right before the bibliography.
% The \endnotes command creates a new page.
%
% The option works by redefining LaTeX's private \@footnotetext command,
% and is modeled after DEK's \answer macro in the TeXbook.
% It is always a bit dicey to redefine commands that you only
% vaguely understand, but I have tested it on my own manuscripts
% under LaTeX 2.09 and it seems to work. I do not consider myself an expert
% and would be glad to receive a more elegant version.
%
% ***************** THERE IS ONE KNOWN (NONFATAL) PROBLEM: **************
% Since \ is catcoded to 12 for verbatim copying, if your footnote's text
% contains an unequal number of \{'s and \}'s, (for intance, if you
% have a \left\{  balanced by a \right.), then TeX believes
% you have unmatched braces and does not figure out where the
% argument of the \footnote command ends. The CURE is to use \lbrace
% and \rbrace instead.
%
% If anyone has a better solution, please let me know:
% kcb@hss.caltech.edu
%
\typeout{endnotes.sty-- Sep 4, 1990 -- kcb@hss.caltech.edu}
%
%
\newwrite\n@tefile
\immediate\openout\n@tefile=\jobname.end
\immediate\write\n@tefile{\relax}

%	redefine footnotes _after_ title
\let\@maketitle@\maketitle
\def\maketitle{\@maketitle@
\long\gdef\@footnotetext{\immediate\write\n@tefile{}
	\begingroup\@mysetupcopy\@mycopynote}
\let\@maketitle@\relax}

\def\@mysetupcopy{\@sanitize}% for verbatim copying

\long\gdef\@mycopynote#1{%
	\immediate\write\n@tefile{\@thefnmark\hskip 1em }
	\immediate\write\n@tefile{#1}\endgroup}

\def\endnotes{\immediate\closeout\n@tefile
    \clearpage
    \section*{Notes}
    \input\jobname.end}

Kim C. Border			Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences
kcb@hss.caltech.edu		228-77
				California Institute of Technology
				Pasadena, California 91125