[comp.text.tex] TUG and TeX...

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (09/04/90)

First, I'd like to apologize to Don Hosek for not-quite-deservedly jumping
and flaming him for saying that emTeX drivers don't use PK: he surely was
mistaken, and considering how much volunteer work he does answering
everyone's questions and maintaining TeX repositories; many thanks to him
for the terrific job he's doing. Surely he's entitled to make mistakes every
once in a while, and everyone is entitled to point out such mistakes...
Still...

Now, let me relate to the readers of this newsgroup a story, which, I hope,
is not too long or boring. I should probably start by mentioning that I'm a
doctoral student in math, and I support my family (and my addiction to
expensive computer hardware:) by owning with my wife a software consulting
company. I have a client who puts out a large number of newsletters,
brochures, and the like. (Interestingly, the job I do for them has to do
with math, not all all with text processing, or else I'd have straightened
them out long ago:). When I first came there, I noticed how they produced
their newsletter... It involved at the time 3 young women who used Aldus
Pagemaker under MS-DOS to prepare the few pages. Most of their work consists
of printing out a document on a laset printer, looking at the printout,
fixing a few page breaks, moving things around with a mouse, printout out
again, until everything is positioned where they want it. The resulting
documents are mailed to various subsets of an about 1000-name mailing list,
and it is understood that they become obsolete within a few weeks and are
thrown away by the recepients.

I once observed how the young woman in charge of this desktop publishing
group printed out the same document 3 times trying to ensure that a header
was centered on the page. She was loudly complaining that in a WYSIWYG
system she cannot accurately position the text with the mouse, and what
seemed centered on the screen was not centered on the printout. I informed
her that there's this absolutely great typesetting system called TeX, where
she could easily solve this problem using the \centerline command; and that
indeed TeX would be perfectly suitable for the kinds of documents they
produce (which involve lots of texts and a few tables, numbers, and simple
math formulas). She became extremely agitated and said that she's heard
about TeX and 1) it's extremely expensive, 2) she doesn't want me to mention
the existence of better alternatives for DTP to the management because then
the company would no longer need 3 people to position things on the page by
trial and error. At that time, I figured it's none of my business (and I
really was supposed to be doing something unrelated). (Yes, I conjectured
that PM may have a command to center text on a page, but she wasn't using
it. I'm not familiar with PM.) This particular young woman left the company
some time later, and now makes very good money at another company performing
similar tasks on a Macintosh with Microsoft Works.

Later on, I became aware that the company was planning to expand its
newsletter-writing operation and was considering getting software other than
PM. I approached the person doing the decision-making and proposed that I
show her how TeX can make their lives easier. She appreciated my interest,
but responded with the following statements:

* She too is familiar with TeX, believes that TeX would be the perfect
system for the task at hand, and would prefer to use it.

* However, they have a limited budget, and getting TeX, device drivers for
laser printer and a dot matrix printer, screen previwer, and appripriate
fonts would cost well over $1K, and they don't want to spend this kind of
money at the time.

* She has never heard of freely copiable TeX's for MS-DOS, she doubts that
such things exist or are comparable to commercial implementations, but she'd
like to see it in principle.

You will kindly recall that the majority of TeX (and non-TeX-DTP) users out
there in the real world have no access to Usenet, TeXhax, UKTeX, and get
most of their information on TeX from TUGBoat or people that read TUGBoat.
The anecdotal evidence above suggests that this group of people is given a
version of MS-DOS TeX reality that's very different from the reality as I
(and, hopefully, most people familiar with the subject) perceive it. The
impression one gets from reading TUGBoat is that, indeed, one needs to spend
*considerably* more $$$ on software to buy a working TeX for MS-DOS than for
buying PageMaker or Ventura Publisher or WordPerfect... There's *no mention*
of freely distributed TeX's for MS-DOS of equal quality.

Here are some ways in which these TeX sellers hurt our community:

* they rip off those ignorant of the existence of better alternatives.
People buy their TeX's instead of spending their computer budget on
something they really need. (Note that buyers of commercial TeXs are
ignorant / not too bright through no fault of theirs.)

* they prevent the spread of TeX. People who've spent $2,000 on software
are less likely to give free copies to others.

* they prevent programmers from releasing the results of their work into the
public domain. People are reluctant to make their programs publicly
available for fear that someone will start selling them; or at least they
distribute them without the source code.

It's sad that TUGBoat is in effect aiding and abetting these dishonest and
unscrupulous individuals (who should be denounced and ostracized). I am
definitely not suggesting that there is a conscious conspiracy on the part
of TUGBoat to suppress the the truth about the availability of TeX for
MS-DOS. :) (I think I know the people involved too well to believe that.)
However, I have stated time and again that the large number of ads for
commercial MS-DOS TeX's, and simultaneous disappearance of all mentions of
free TeX's (the combination that gives a reader a totally false impression
about TeX's availability) look extremely improper and make everyone doubt
TUGBoat's credibility. I have raised these questions with Barbara Beeton and
with Alan Hoenig, and with all my deep respect and admiration for these
folks, I'm really not satisfied with their repsonses.

I suggest that TUGBoat should refuse to run ads for commercial TeX-related
products when equivalent products for the same platform can be had for free.
(An example of such a product would be the $450 WordPerfect-to-TeX
translator.) Such ads constitute only a small protion of TUGBoat ads.

Regarding the suggestion that TUGBoat is a volunteer effort, and is not
obligated to inform its readers about the existence of public-domain
software: I'd like to point out that I (and most readers) pay for TUGBoat;
in fact, I pay more for it than I pay for Newsweek, New York Magazine, or
Insight. :) I am very unhappy that it gives its readers a false impression
by publishing those ads (really intended for suckers who don't know any
better) and *not* tellings its readers that better alternatives exist;
that's a job very poorly done. I've told various people involved about my
concerns, now I'm posting this to a newsgroup, and if the situation doesn't
change, I'll just stop getting TUGBoat due to lack of credibility.

Happy flaming,
Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/05/90)

In article <9009040308.AA06677@lilac.berkeley.edu>, DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET writes...
>Here are some ways in which these TeX sellers hurt our community:

>* they rip off those ignorant of the existence of better alternatives.
>People buy their TeX's instead of spending their computer budget on
>something they really need. (Note that buyers of commercial TeXs are
>ignorant / not too bright through no fault of theirs.)

If someone spends the money to purchase, say Textures ($495)
rather than getting a copy of OzTeX, what do they get for their
money? Well for one thing, they can call up Blue Sky Research (a
toll-free number, no less) and get help. For those people who
aren't on the net, this is a kind of important thing. Personal
TeX and Arbortext offer this service, and I'm sure other vendors
do as well. I would not purchase software from any company that
did _not_ offer phone support. (Support is a big issue, for many
groups, which is why most companies are not using home-built
computers running public domain software for everything.)

>* they prevent the spread of TeX. People who've spent $2,000 on software
>are less likely to give free copies to others.

Well, I sure hope so. Duplicating commercial software and
distributing it is a violation of international copyright law.

>* they prevent programmers from releasing the results of their work into the
>public domain. People are reluctant to make their programs publicly
>available for fear that someone will start selling them; or at least they
>distribute them without the source code.

Actually, I think that programmers who release source-less
software would release that software source-less under any
circumstances, even without TeX vendors. I'm only aware of one
programmer's rationale for an executable-only distribution and
his reasoning was that he wanted to make sure that parallel
versions of the software didn't emerge.

>It's sad that TUGBoat is in effect aiding and abetting these dishonest and
>unscrupulous individuals (who should be denounced and ostracized). I am
>definitely not suggesting that there is a conscious conspiracy on the part
>of TUGBoat to suppress the the truth about the availability of TeX for
>MS-DOS. :) (I think I know the people involved too well to believe that.)
>However, I have stated time and again that the large number of ads for
>commercial MS-DOS TeX's, and simultaneous disappearance of all mentions of
>free TeX's (the combination that gives a reader a totally false impression
>about TeX's availability) look extremely improper and make everyone doubt
>TUGBoat's credibility. I have raised these questions with Barbara Beeton and
>with Alan Hoenig, and with all my deep respect and admiration for these
>folks, I'm really not satisfied with their repsonses.

>I suggest that TUGBoat should refuse to run ads for commercial TeX-related
>products when equivalent products for the same platform can be had for free.
>(An example of such a product would be the $450 WordPerfect-to-TeX
>translator.) Such ads constitute only a small protion of TUGBoat ads.

Let's see, TUGboat 11#1:

TeXpic. This is a pic-like package for TeX. gpic also offers this
capability. Can't keep that ad.

TUG. I guess we'll let them advertise.

Arbortext. They aren't offering any specific products but I think
there are public domain equivalents to almost everything they
sell. Better prevent them from advertising.

VTeX. Don't know of any version of TeX that has the font
capabilities of VTeX. (although, personally, I don't think the
extended capabilities are that useful anyway.) We'll let them
keep the ad, but only temporarily since the president of the
company said something about releasing the font technology to the
public domain at the TUG meeting.

Capture. Takes HPGL and makes PK files out of it (I think that's
the deal.) John McClaine mentioned some stuff that Texas A&M has,
but I don't think any of it is for HPGL and Pat Wilcox's software
is shareware (or is it). We'll let them keep it, but only if they
go to half page ads.

Personal TeX. I guess this will have to go. But they cqan keep
the Fontware stuff (Bitstream font to PK conversion software).

Type 2000. Typesetting service. We'll let them advertise.

LAmS-TeX. Well, pieces of it are public domain, but I guess
enough of it is not available freely that we can let them
advertise.

T2xxx drivers. Nope. Those are all available for free.

AmSTeX and fonts. Hmm, the charge here is largely duplicating
costs. Can they keep their ad Dimitri?

TeX plus. That's out.

Publishing Companion. (This is a $250 WP to TeX converter.

Public Domain TeX. But they're charging! Is $92 too much for a
tape of stuff one can FTP?

Computer Composition Corporation. Typesetters again.

TurboTeX. That'll have to go.

AP-TeX fonts. Bitmap versions of the 35 basic PostScript fonts. I
guess that can stay.

TeX publishing Services. More typesetting

DeskJet driver for TeX. Nope, there's already a PD version.

Textures. Nope, they can use OzTeX.

There goes half of TUG's advertising income.

>Regarding the suggestion that TUGBoat is a volunteer effort, and is not
>obligated to inform its readers about the existence of public-domain
>software: I'd like to point out that I (and most readers) pay for TUGBoat;
>in fact, I pay more for it than I pay for Newsweek, New York Magazine, or
>Insight. :) I am very unhappy that it gives its readers a false impression
>by publishing those ads (really intended for suckers who don't know any
>better) and *not* tellings its readers that better alternatives exist;
>that's a job very poorly done. I've told various people involved about my
>concerns, now I'm posting this to a newsgroup, and if the situation doesn't
>change, I'll just stop getting TUGBoat due to lack of credibility.

Dimitri. They DO TELL READERS. How many times do I have to point
out the articles? There could be more articles, yes, but somebody
has to write them, c'est ne pas? I think the bigger fault lies in
things like the review of TeX for the PC that only looked at
PCTeX, $\mu$-TeX, CTeX and TurboTeX.

Now for some comments on behalf of commercial versions of TeX.

I've mentioned support already as being a big factor. It's more
than just being able to call up the company. Have you ever seen
the PCTeX manual? It's an outstanding presentation of how to use
TeX. TurboTeX and the Northlake Software VMS TeX both come with
excellant installation manuals. It's difficult to match that with
something distributed for free on disk or FTP. Consider someone
who hasn't clued in to the fact that there is a way to center
text in Pagemaker (I don't know this for certain, but I'd imagine
any package not supplying this feature would be quickly laughed
off the market) and give them a bunch of files in ZIP format and
tell them to get it running.

Another thing on behalf of commercial vendors of TeX is that they
have a tendency to enter new areas before the PD people (this
isn't always the case, but is often enough to point out that it
happens). Without the pioneering efforts of David Fuchs and Lance
Carnes, people might be claiming that TeX can't be run on a
microcomputer. Textures was the only TeX for the Macintosh for
two years.

Much of the current spread of TeX is due to the efforts of
Addison-Wesley and Personal TeX. Blue Sky Research is trying to
make TeX a player in the graphic design realm of typography. Bob
Harris of Micro Programs has brought TeX to the world of Kennel
Clubs and is continually seeking out new markets. You complained
(in a section that I cut out) that the people you talked to
perceived TeX as being an expensive system... without the
commercial vendors, I claim they wouldn't even know TeX existed
(or if they did, would think of it as some Unix thing like
troff).

Instead of saying that you're going to cancel your membership and
asking TUG to not carry advertising, let's hear some practical
suggestions. What should TUG do to promote public domain TeX? All
I see in your note is suggestions that commercial vendors not be
allowed to advertise.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (09/06/90)

I will comment on some points raised here and then will try to quiesce my
contributions to this thread until BB comes back. (It's not nice to
criticize a person who's not here and can't reply.)

(Many thanks to Dorothy Monks and everyone else who shares my concerns to
some extent.)

I am very happy to see the list of TeX's for MS-DOS that Don Hosek composed!
I very much hope to see it in TUGBoat's next issue (#3). (With or without
further comparisons of performance and features).

It's absolutely not true that TUGBoat pushes commercial TeX's only through
advertisements. I too looked through the latest issue (#2) and I saw, e.g.,
the following on p. 312:

>Vectox TeX
>retains all the advantages of TeX plus:
>--- saves megabytes of storage---entire VTeX fits on one floppy;
>--- instantly generate any font in any size and in any variation from 5 to
>90 points;
>--- standard font effects include compression, slant, smallcaps, outline
>and shading. New: shadow;
>--- Discover the universe of MicroPress professional typefaces: not
>available for any other TeX.

This is EDITORIAL COPY, not a PAID AD. Now, it says on p. 310: ``These
product descriptions were takem, for the most part, from the publishers'
announcements''. If this were a promotional leaflet, a reader would just
dismiss it as bad ad (doesn't sound like truth) written by someone who
speaks very poor English; but quoting such material in editorial copy is
inappropriate, and makes one question the publication's credibility.

Why doesn't TUGBoat similarly reprint README files from emTeX, SBTeX, et al?
(I don't think it should, but that would be the easiest way to make its
readers aware of their existence, if no one is willing to write
something original about them!) In fact, I looked through the entire #2, and
found no mention of John Radel, or emTeX, or SBTeX, or Unix TeX
distribution from U of Washington.

Selling TeX's is not an honest way to make money. While it's not in the
public domain, its source code is published, comes with excellent comments,
and is available in machine-readable form. It doesn't take a rocket
scientist to make a runnable TeX for MS-DOS, nor is it so hard to produce
DVITYPE-based device drivers (better yet, Beebe-based:). (Having tried this,
I know this is so.) (That's why there are so many TeX ports out there!)
(Heck, Don Knuth and Addison Wesley would have terrific copyright
infringement cases against some folks; too bad they're not likely to sue!:)

Very few people would pay hundreds of dollars for an MS-DOS TeX
implementation knowing they can get TeX and device drivers of comparable
quality from Eberhard Mattes or John Radel. In fact, whether I come across a
PCTeX user (I have nothing against PCI, they're fine folks, it's just their
there are so many of their users out there:) and tell her that there's an
absolutely free SBTeX which is just as good as what she's using, the user
gets really mad that she spent so much money. It's perfectly fine to sell
*enhancements* to TeX, e.g., PCI's programs for converting BITSTREAM fonts
into PK files. But selling TeX itself, or plain vanilla device drivers, is a
scam. In effect, TeX sellers prey on the ignorance of the TeX community at
large. I'm really sorry to see that TUGBoat promotes this ignorance by
promoting commercial TeX's and not even mentioning the existence of free
alternatives. Most TeX users don't have access to the nets and get their
information about TeX directly from TUGBoat or indirectly from those who
read TUGBoat. TUGBoat misinforms these people, and does a great disservice
to the TeX community.

Don Hosek claims that TUGBoat has become dependent on advertizing money.
(This sounds a bit like a health magazine dependent on cigarette advertizing
and not publishing any papers about tobacco's harmful effects. Lack of
integrity/credibility, or lack of submissions? :) First, not all ads in
TUGBoat are for commercial implementations of TeX: typical ads seem to be
for a DVI-to-typesetter services, macro packages, and the like. Second, if
you don't stop running ads for these TeX sellers, it'll cost you
considerably more---the remainder of your (already tainted) credibility.

Regarding the suggestion that the people putting TUGBoar together do it for
free and hence don't have to do a good job, I personally would prefer that
they be paid and do a better job. (We do pay for the fruits of their labor.)

Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math

kcb@hss.caltech.edu (KC Border) (09/06/90)

In article <9009051759.AA07088@lilac.berkeley.edu> DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET writes:

>Selling TeX's is not an honest way to make money. While it's not in the
>public domain, its source code is published, comes with excellent comments,
>and is available in machine-readable form. It doesn't take a rocket
>scientist to make a runnable TeX for MS-DOS, nor is it so hard to produce
>DVITYPE-based device drivers (better yet, Beebe-based:). (Having tried this,
>I know this is so.) (That's why there are so many TeX ports out there!)

Enough is enough, Dimitri. You've had your say. Now will you quit
filling up this news group with your whining? Please.

-- an innocent bystander
kcb@hss.caltech.edu
Kim C. Border
kcb@hss.caltech.edu

Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (09/06/90)

OK, I'll byte. :) Here's a constructive suggestion: print a directory
of known free and low-cost TeX's for all systems (not just MS-DOS) in
every issue of TUGBoat. If there are no updates, just reprint the last
month's directory. Start with the list of MS-DOS TeX's you just posted,
add OZ TeX for the Mac, Unix TeX from U of Washington, et al. Does it
sound good, or is TUGBoat scared of its commercial TeX advertizers? :)

(As a variation of the above, you might want to run a directory of all
known sources of TeX, free and commercial, using vendor-supplied
information. (Provided the information is in good taste---i.e., price
and availability, not unsubstantiated claims.) How much space would this
take? 5 pages? 10 pages of every issue?

Regarding the question: who put in more free time, I'm sure you've
donated more of your time and effort to helping TeX users than almost
anyone, and certainly more than myself!!! I want you to know that your
efforts are really appreciated, and I hope that the fact that you've
helped so many people makes you feel good. Still, this doesn't give you
the right to post unsolicited promotional materials (and since you say
the .sig never brought you any clients, this is one more reason to
change it). [I should note for comparison that if I multiplied the hours
I've spent on various aspects of Russian TeX: polishing the hyphenation
patterns, digging up obscure non-Slavic Cyrillic writing systems,
helping RusTeX users via e-mail and more often the phone by, say, $50, I
too would come up with an impressive amount. I've also spent hunderds of
$$$'s on phone calls to the USSR (~$2/minute) and on snailing new
versions of software there (that's $10.75 a shot), and I haven't made a
cent off it, and don't expect to. And I'm not bitching!! :) Of course
I'd never think of comparing my contributions with yours. ]

Regarding the phone support for commercial TeX's: I'm afraid I'm going
to have to rely on anecdotal evidence again... Not being a licencee of
any commercial TeX, I've never tried any company's phone support.
However I am acquainted with a number of licencees of PCTeX and other
commercially available business programs (things like Microsoft Excel,
Lotus 123, etc). I don't know anyone who's ever called PCI for tech
support. I'm sure that PCI people are very nice and would provide
excellent support if needed. I know for a fact that Kinch people are
extremely nice (they sent me a thank you note for something PD that I
uploaded somewhere :). But let me waste a bit more bandwidth and tell
you about an experience with phone support I've had a few months ago. I
was installing a LAN using the hardware from a certain 3-letter
manufacturer and the software from a certain 1-digit and 3-letter
manufacturer :), and the software consitently claimed that all the
hardware malfunctioned, even though it passed the 3-letter
manufacturer's extensive diagnostics. We've called the tech support a
number of times, and every time they told us that we must have set
certain software parameters incorrectly and we must experiment with all
possible switch values to find the one that works. After we've exhausted
all possible combinations, they told us that we must be doing something
really wrong and that perhaps we should talk to an "engineer"; that'd
cost us $150 per hour of fraction thereof. We agreed, and the
converation went approximately like this:

I: I can't get any of out X cards to work with your network software...
S: Do you have card X?
I: Yes.
S: Do you have software version N?
I: Yes.
S: Hold on.
S: Versions before N+1 don't work with card X. Our documentation is in
error and our technical support didn't know this. You must upgrade.

The entire conversation lasted 3 minutes, about half of which time I was
on hold. They charged us $150 for the answr, and another $800 for the
software upgrade (which works as documented).

Now, I'm not suggesting that all software publishers are like this :),
but I think that a new TeX user is better off getting a free TeX, and if
she runs into a problem, get help from consultant who bills for services
rendered (such is yourself:), not pay hundreds of dollars for the right
for phone support that she'll prbably never use. Or at the very least
the user has the right to know that this option is available.

Yes, the PCTeX manual is excellent, and, unless I'm mistaken, is
available separately. Let me give you another piece of anecdotal
evidence. Before I went away to play golf in August, I gave a bunch of
SBTeX diskettes to someone I know who's nearly computer illiterate. He
successfully unzipped them, and was churning out fine-looking papers
within 3 days, using no help, and no documentation other than "TeX for
the impatient" (an excellent book too, by the way). If you heard some of
the questions about MS-DOS he's asked me since I've come back, you'd
agree that if he can use TeX to produce papers with no phone support,
then anyone can. :)

(Hey! Here's an idea for all you enterpreneurs out there: start a
1-900-TeX-HELP number. .5:)

Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math

cotner@skippy.berkeley.edu (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.230708.7798@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> kcb@hss.caltech.edu (KC Border) writes:
>In article <9009051759.AA07088@lilac.berkeley.edu> DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET writes:
>>
>>Selling TeX's is not an honest way to make money. While it's not in the
>>public domain, its source code is published, comes with excellent comments,
>>and is available in machine-readable form. It doesn't take a rocket
>>scientist to make a runnable TeX for MS-DOS, nor is it so hard to produce
>>DVITYPE-based device drivers (better yet, Beebe-based:). (Having tried this,
>>I know this is so.) (That's why there are so many TeX ports out there!)
>>

>Enough is enough, Dimitri. You've had your say. Now will you quit
>filling up this news group with your whining? Please.
>
>-- an innocent bystander
>kcb@hss.caltech.edu
>Kim C. Border
>kcb@hss.caltech.edu

I don't know if I agree with everything Dimitri says, but
he has raised some important questions.  I certainly wouldn't
call it whining.  I do know that I would be pretty upset had
I spent lots of money for something which is inferior to emTeX.
TUG should make the availability of emTeX clear to its members.
I don't care about placing blame, but emTeX is great and TUG
should say so.

Also innocent,

Carl Cotner
cotner@berkeley.math.edu

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (09/07/90)

In article <9009040308.AA06677@lilac.berkeley.edu> DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET writes:

>I once observed how the young woman in charge of this desktop publishing
>group printed out the same document 3 times trying to ensure that a header
>was centered on the page. She was loudly complaining that in a WYSIWYG
>system she cannot accurately position the text with the mouse, and what
>seemed centered on the screen was not centered on the printout.

I am just learning TeX, and I like it very much, but I have to say that the
reason this woman was having problems is that her DTP program is _NOT_
true WYSIWYG. To be WYSIWYG, a DTP program must be capable of showing the
_same_ fonts on the screen as on the printer. My DTP program (Calamus on
the Atari ST) uses the same Compugraphic outline fonts for screen and
printer, and allows you to zoom in the screen so that it corresponds
pixel-for-pixel with the printer output, whatever the resolution. I
understand that Macs are starting to use outline fonts in their DTP
programs too, but that they are much slower than Calamus's fonts. In
any case, the woman's problem was a bad IMPLEMENTATION, not a bad
CONCEPT (I may use TeX for my thesis, but never for a complex display
ad).

David Megginson
david@doe.utoronto.ca
meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (09/07/90)

Dimitri, you have some valid complaints.  But I think you are
overstating them.

> Selling TeX's is not an honest way to make money. While it's not in
> the public domain, its source code is published, comes with excellent
> comments, and is available in machine-readable form. It doesn't take a
> rocket scientist to make a runnable TeX for MS-DOS, nor is it so hard
> to produce DVITYPE-based device drivers (better yet, Beebe-based:).

Piffle.  It may not take a rocket scientist, but it takes time.  I
bought a commercial version for my Amiga even tho I knew about the
free versions.  I bought it because I knew it would work right away,
because of the support, and because of the enhancements.

> Very few people would pay hundreds of dollars for an MS-DOS TeX
> implementation knowing they can get TeX and device drivers of
> comparable quality from Eberhard Mattes or John Radel.

That doesn't make it wrong to sell it to those who want support.

> Regarding the suggestion that the people putting TUGBoar together do
> it for free and hence don't have to do a good job, I personally would
> prefer that they be paid and do a better job. (We do pay for the
> fruits of their labor.)
>	Dimitri Vulis

Don pointed out that if you want it to be done better it is in your
power to change it.  If you want more articles about free copies of
TeX then write them.  Not every will want the subscription cost
increased.  But nobody will complain if you volunteer your services to
fix the problems you perceive.

If you don't like it, don't complain.  Fix it!

BTW: I have not yet gotten around to joining TUG.  I intend to.  Your
ravings have not discouraged me.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

In article <9009052355.AA18416@lilac.berkeley.edu> DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET writes:
>OK, I'll byte. :) Here's a constructive suggestion: print a directory
>of known free and low-cost TeX's for all systems (not just MS-DOS) in
>every issue of TUGBoat.

This would take a good deal of space, but might be worthwhile.  (Note
that the amount of space goes up almost exponentially with the usefulness
of the list: a simple list of `these exist' is very short, a list of
`these exist and here is how you get them' is fairly long, and a list of
`these exist, are known to work with these systems, have been rated as
good/bad/ugly by {list of people}; here is how you get them' is very
long and takes a great deal of effort to maintain.

More to the point, however, is the fact that TUG cannot print an article
that no one will write!  If *you* want it printed, *you* write it ... that
is the rule in this domain.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)

tmb@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (09/07/90)

[dlv writes:]
>Here are some ways in which these TeX sellers hurt our community:

>* they prevent the spread of TeX. People who've spent $2,000 on software
>are less likely to give free copies to others.

If they spent $2000 on TeX, they probably bought a proprietary version
and would not even legally be permitted to re-distribute it.

>* they prevent programmers from releasing the results of their work into the
>public domain. People are reluctant to make their programs publicly
>available for fear that someone will start selling them; or at least they
>distribute them without the source code.

Commercial vendors of TeX perform a useful function. I would guess that
Knuth, just like MIT (for X windows), and AT&T (for SML of NJ) made a
conscious decision to release their (excellent) software such that it
may be re-sold for profit. All these institutions/persons could have
distributed their software under a copyleft, if they had wanted to, but
must have considered that alternative less useful.

By allowing vendors to re-sell proprietary versions of free software
like TeX, SML, and X windows, you encourage ports to a much larger variety
of machines and operating systems. You also encourage advertising and
marketing, and commercial versions come with support, are often
easier to install and set up, and they don't require downloading.

I had considered buying a commercial version of TeX for my Amiga (before
I sold the Amiga), because it was simply the least effort way of getting
TeX up and running.

>* they rip off those ignorant of the existence of better alternatives.
>People buy their TeX's instead of spending their computer budget on
>something they really need. (Note that buyers of commercial TeXs are
>ignorant / not too bright through no fault of theirs.)

There is no rip off here. Information is a commodity that costs money
just as goods. If you don't invest in the information about where you
can get something for free, you have to pay for that something.  There
is nothing wrong with that.  These people could hire consultants who
would tell them about the PD versions, but probably the total cost to
them would be just as high as if they bought the commercial version,
and, in the latter case, they get support.

If all of this bothers you so much, perhaps you are willing to spend a
couple of thousand dollars advertising the availability of a free
version of TeX for the Mac or MS-DOS out of your own pocket.

I think altogether the TeX community has benefited from the
availability of commercial, proprietary versions of TeX.  Most computer
users (PC or Mac) wouldn't even have heard of TeX if companies hadn't
advertised their proprietary versions in magazines and journals.