[comp.text.tex] ACMproc.sty

bjornl@sics.se (Bj|rn Lisper) (09/07/90)

In article <83480@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> wilcox@blob.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Patricia P Wilcox) writes:
>Slightly off the subject, does anyone have a LaTeX .sty file for ACM
>publications?  Or more generically, where are the best places to look for
>style files for Journal X?  (I suppose the correct answer is to write to
>the editor of Journal X -- but once one of us finds such a .sty file,
>let's post it, and encourage the editor to post updates regularly --
>in Don Hosek's ymir archives, perhaps?)

OK, here we go. The following is a .sty file for ACM proceedings. I picked
it up from somebody (don't remember whom just now, so sorry I can't give
proper acknowledgements) and added a few hacks of my own, most noteably
adaption to A4 output and another style of headers, closer to ACM
guidelines. It would be nice if somebody added a mechanism to automatically
convert all section headers to upper case only, as required by ACM
guidelines. I kludged around for a while with \uppercase myself and never
got it to work properly, but surely there are more experienced LaTeX hackers
out there than me.

And yes, I take no responsibility whatsoever for the possible consequences
etc. of using this piece of software...

Bjorn Lisper

--------CUT HERE------------------------
% ACMproc.sty
% PROC DOCUMENT STYLE -- Released 4 September 1986
%    for LaTeX version 2.09
% Copyright (C) 1985 by Leslie Lamport
%
% This is a style option for use with the article style to produce
% camera-ready conference proceedings.

\typeout{Document Style Option 'ACMproc'}

%  ****************************************
%  *            PAGE LAYOUT               *
%  ****************************************
%
% All margin dimensions measured from a point one inch from top and side
% of page.  Dimensions shrink by about 2 percent

% SIDE MARGINS (ACM instructions)
   \oddsidemargin  -0.25in      %   Note that \oddsidemargin = \evensidemargin
   \evensidemargin -0.25in
% to print on a 8.5''x11'' page manually feeded through the
% LaserWriter
\advance\oddsidemargin by -4.5mm
\advance\evensidemargin by -4.5mm

% VERTICAL SPACING (ACM instructions)
                         % Top of page:
\topmargin -0.25in       %    Nominal distance from top of page to top of
                         %    box containing running head.
\headheight 12pt         %    Height of box containing running head.
\headsep 25pt            %    Space between running head and text.
\advance\topmargin by -37pt % subtract \headheight and \headsep from \topmargin
\advance\topmargin by -1.7cm	% ???
% \topskip = 10pt        %    '\baselineskip' for first line of page.
                         % Bottom of page:
\footskip 100pt          %    Distance from baseline of box containing foot
                         %    to baseline of last line of text.

% DIMENSION OF TEXT (ACM instructions)

\textheight 9in          % Height of text (including footnotes and figures,
                         % excluding running head and foot).
\advance\textheight by 5mm
\textwidth 7in		 % Width of text line.
                         % For two-column mode:
\columnsep .333in        %    Space between columns
\columnseprule 0pt       %    Width of rule between columns.

% ADJUSTMENT FOR A4 PAGE SIZE 900403/BjL

\hoffset=3mm
\voffset=18mm

%    ****************************************
%    *            PAGE STYLES               *
%    ****************************************
%
%  Use \markright (or \markboth) to put an identification in the
%  lower left.  The page number is printed in the lower right.

\def\@oddhead{}\def\@evenhead{}
\def\@oddfoot{\rm\rightmark \hfil Page \thepage}
\def\@evenfoot{\@oddfoot}

%    ****************************************
%    *               TITLE                  *
%    ****************************************
%

% This definition of \maketitle taken from article.sty, except
% it does not do a \thispagestyle{plain}.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ATTENTION  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% JJL HACK  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Un hack horrible qui change 2.25 en 1.20 pour faire des titres
% moins hauts REVISED to 1.50 % MJ: revised to 6cm
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\def\maketitle{\par
 \begingroup
   \def\thefootnote{\fnsymbol{footnote}}
   \def\@makefnmark{\hbox
       to 0pt{$^{\@thefnmark}$\hss}}
   \twocolumn[\@maketitle]
   \@thanks
 \endgroup
 \setcounter{footnote}{0}
 \let\maketitle\relax
 \let\@maketitle\relax
 \gdef\@thanks{}\gdef\@author{}\gdef\@title{}\let\thanks\relax}

\def\@maketitle{\vbox to 6cm{\hsize\textwidth
  \linewidth\hsize \vfil \centering
  {\LARGE \@title \par}     % Title set in \LARGE size. MJ: correction
			    % de la correction
  \vskip 2em                % Vertical space after title.
  {\large \begin{tabular}[t]{c}\@author \end{tabular}\par}
  \vskip 2em			% MJ: leave at least that place after authors
  \vfil}}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% fin du hack  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

% The \copyrightspace command is used to produce a blank space in the first
% column where a copyright notice belongs.  It works by producing a
% blank footnote of the appropriate size.  Note that it should appear
% after any \footnote commands that produce footnotes for the first
% column.

% modified from 97pt to .75in, to satisfy acm requirement [0]
% changed to 1in after \advance'ing\textheight by 5mm
\def\copyrightspace{\footnotetext{\mbox{}\vrule height 1in width 0pt}}

% Section commands changed (smaller font, smaller spaces around) 900403/BjL

\def\section{\@startsection {section}{1}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus -1ex minus
-.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\bf}}

\def\subsection{\@startsection{subsection}{2}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus -1ex minus
 -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\bf}}

\def\subsubsection{\@startsection{subsubsection}{3}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus
-1ex minus -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\bf}}

% The abstract Environment (changed 900403/BjL)

\def\abstract{\section*{ABSTRACT}}
\def\endabstract{\par}

% Bibliography 900403/BjL

\def\thebibliography#1{\section*{REFERENCES\@mkboth
 {REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}}\list
 {[\arabic{enumi}]}{\settowidth\labelwidth{[#1]}\leftmargin\labelwidth
 \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
 \usecounter{enumi}}
 \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus .07em}
 \sloppy\clubpenalty4000\widowpenalty4000
 \sfcode`\.=1000\relax}

% Table of contents 900403/BjL

\def\tableofcontents{\section*{CONTENTS\@mkboth{CONTENTS}{CONTENTS}}
 \@starttoc{toc}}

% List of figures 900403/BjL

\def\listoffigures{\section*{LIST OF FIGURES\@mkboth
 {LIST OF FIGURES}{LIST OF FIGURES}}\@starttoc{lof}}

% List of tables 900403/BjL

\def\listoftables{\section*{LIST OF TABLES\@mkboth
 {LIST OF TABLES}{LIST OF TABLES}}\@starttoc{lot}}

% Index 900403/BjL

\def\theindex{\@restonecoltrue\if@twocolumn\@restonecolfalse\fi
\columnseprule \z@
\columnsep 35pt\twocolumn[\section*{INDEX}]
 \@mkboth{INDEX}{INDEX}\thispagestyle{plain}\parindent\z@
 \parskip\z@ plus .3pt\relax\let\item\@idxitem}

%    ****************************************
%    *           INITIALIZATION             *
%    ****************************************
%
% Default initializations

\twocolumn
\sloppy
\parindent 1em
\leftmargini 2em
\leftmargin\leftmargini
\leftmarginv .5em
\leftmarginvi .5em
\flushbottom

Leichter-Jerry@CS.YALE.EDU@venus.ycc.yale.edu (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.092931.1958@sics.se>, bjornl@sics.se (Bj|rn Lisper) sends
a copy of an old "ACM document style" done by Leslie Lamport.  This style is
nothing at all like the style that the ACM, in its written requirements,
asks for.

Enclosed below is a style file I did that provides a pretty good match to the
published ACM requirements.  I was in touch with someone at the ACM at one
point about having this (or something like it) distributed as the "standard"
for camera-ready ACM reports; however, nothing seems to have come of that.

This style produces a ready-to-go document at 9pt.  (Hey, I didn't choose the
sizes; the ACM did.)  This turns out to require that you generate a font (a
bold-faced san serif 9pt) that is not in any of the standard distributions.
See the comment in the "FONTS" section of the style file.

An alternative which I considered, but don't have the code for, is to magnify
everything to a 10pt base font and then photographically reduce it by 10%.
This has two advantages:  No non-standard fonts are required, and the result-
ing documents should look somewhat better (as they'll have a higher effective
resolution.)  The magnified document will fit on standard 8.5 x 11 paper with
workable margins.  (This is not the case if you try and magnify to an 11pt
base font.)  The downside, of course, is that it requires that whoever you
send the document to be able and willing to do the photographic reduction.  I
don't know whether the ACM is - I suggested it to them but heard nothing back.

Good luck!
							-- Jerry

% ACM DOCUMENT STYLE -- Released 23 Apr 89
%	Based on ARTICLE.DOC of 16 March 1988
%	For LaTeX version 2.09
% ARTICLE.DOC is Copyright (C) 1988 by Leslie Lamport
% Modifications by Jerry Leichter
\typeout{Document Style `acm' <23 Apr 89>.}

% PREPARING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE VERSION:
%
% This document style is for documents prepared in the English language.
% To prepare a version for another language, various English words must
% be replaced.  All the English words that required replacement are
% indicated below, where we give the name of the command in which the
% words appear, and the entire line containing the word(s), with the
% actual words underlined.
%
% \tableofcontents:
% \def\tableofcontents{\section*{Contents\@mkboth{CONTENTS}{CONTENTS}}
%                                ~~~~~~~~         ~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~
% \listoffigures:
% \def\listoffigures{\section*{List of Figures\@mkboth
%                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
%    {LIST OF FIGURES}{LIST OF FIGURES}}\@starttoc{lof}}
%     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
% \listoftables:
% \def\listoftables{\section*{List of Tables\@mkboth
%                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
%    {LIST OF TABLES}{LIST OF TABLES}}\@starttoc{lot}}
%     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
% \thebibliography:
% \def\thebibliography#1{\section*{References\@mkboth
%                                  ~~~~~~~~~~
%   {REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}}\list
%    ~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~
% \theindex:
% \columnsep 35pt\twocolumn[\section*{Index}]
%                                     ~~~~~
%     \@mkboth{INDEX}{INDEX}\thispagestyle{plain}\parindent\z@
%              ~~~~~  ~~~~~
% figure and table environments:
% \def\fnum@figure{Figure \thefigure}
%                  ~~~~~~
% \def\fnum@table{Table \thetable}
%                 ~~~~~
% abstract environment:
% {\bf Abstract\vspace{-.5em}\vspace{0pt}}
%      ~~~~~~~~

% CHOOSING THE TYPE SIZE:
%
%  The type size option is handled by reading a different file for each
%  size, as follows:
%       10pt : ART10, 11pt : ART11, 12pt : ART12
%  Implemented by \def'ing \@ptsize to last digit of file name.
%

%
% The size specified is 9pt over 10pt, and cannot be changed.  Since there is
% stuff which uses \@ptsize, we arbitrarily leave it equal to 0.
\def\@ptsize{0}
\@namedef{ds@11pt}{\@warning{11pt option not supported by this style}}
\@namedef{ds@12pt}{\@warning{12pt option not supported by this style}}

% Two-side or one-side printing.  Two sided is unlikely to be useful, and
% in fact the margins aren't set up for it, but if someone wants it....
%
% \@twosidefalse               %  Default is one-sided printing.
\def\ds@twoside{\@twosidetrue  %  Defines twoside option.
           \@mparswitchtrue}   %    Marginpars go on outside of page.

%  draft option
%
% \overfullrule = 0pt             % Default is don't mark overfull hboxes.
\def\ds@draft{\overfullrule 5pt}  % Causes overfull hboxes to be marked.

% The \@options command causes the execution of every command \ds@FOO
% which is defined and for which the user typed the FOO option in his
% \documentstyle command.  For every option BAR he typed for which
% \ds@BAR is not defined, the file BAR.sty will be read after the present
% (main) .STY file is executed.

\@options

% The following is a modified version of art10.doc
% ARTICLE DOCUMENT STYLE -- Released 22 Dec 1987
%    for LaTeX version 2.09
% Copyright (C) 1987 by Leslie Lamport

%  ****************************************
%  *               FONTS                  *
%  ****************************************
%

% Font for all subheads - Bold faced san serif at 9pt.  Note:  This is not
% in the standard LaTeX set, and must be generated using Metafont.  If you
% don't want to bother with that, just lcmssb8 isn't THAT far off.
\font\@subheadfont=lcmssb8 scaled\magstephalf

\lineskip 1pt            % \lineskip is 1pt for all font sizes.
\normallineskip 1pt
\def\baselinestretch{1}

% Each size-changing command \SIZE executes the command
%        \@setsize\SIZE{BASELINESKIP}\FONTSIZE\@FONTSIZE
% where:
%   BASELINESKIP = Normal value of \baselineskip for that size.  (Actual
%                  value will be \baselinestretch * BASELINESKIP.)
%
%  \FONTSIZE     = Name of font-size command.  The currently available
%                  (preloaded) font sizes are: \vpt (5pt), \vipt (6pt),
%                  \viipt (etc.), \viiipt, \ixpt, \xpt, \xipt, \xiipt,
%                  \xivpt, \xviipt, \xxpt, \xxvpt.
%  \@FONTSIZE    = The same as the font-size command except with an
%                  '@' in front---e.g., if \FONTSIZE = \xivpt then
%                  \@FONTSIZE = \@xivpt.
%
% For reasons of efficiency that needn't concern the designer,
% the document style defines \@normalsize instead of \normalsize .  This is
% done only for \normalsize, not for any other size-changing commands.
%
% Note:  The leading is allowed to vary a bit to allow for adjustment of the
% columns.  The variation of .1pt allows for somewhat less than one line's
% worth of stretch or shrink on a full page (about 68 lines).  It's also well
% under one pixel at 300dpi....  The total variability on a page is at most
% about 6.8pt, which won't interfere TOO badly with the stretch and shrink
% for paragraphs, displays, and such.
%
% If you use the raggedbottom option mentioned in the "DIMENSION OF TEXT"
% section, you'll probably want to remove all the variability in the leading.

\def\@normalsize{\@setsize\normalsize{10pt plus .1pt minus .1pt}\ixpt\@ixpt
\abovedisplayskip 8pt plus 3pt minus 4pt%
\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus2pt%
\belowdisplayshortskip 4pt plus2pt minus 2pt
\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini %% Added 22 Dec 87
\topsep 3.5pt plus 2pt minus 2pt\parsep 2pt plus 1pt minus 1pt
\itemsep \parsep}}

\def\small{\@setsize\small{9pt plus .1pt minus .1pt}\viiipt\@viiipt
\abovedisplayskip 5.5pt plus 2pt minus 4pt%
\belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@ plus 1pt%
\belowdisplayshortskip 3pt plus 1pt minus 2pt
\def\@listi{\leftmargin\leftmargini %% Added 22 Dec 87
\topsep 2.5pt plus 1pt minus 1pt\parsep 2pt plus 1pt minus 1pt
\itemsep \parsep}}

% For the really small sizes we don't let the leading shrink or stretch.
% (Note that if \footnotesize leading could change, we'd probably want
% to adjust \footnotesep as well so that all \footnotesize material gets
% the same apparent leading.)
%
\def\footnotesize{\@setsize\footnotesize{7.7pt}\viipt\@viipt}
\def\scriptsize{\@setsize\scriptsize{6pt}\vpt\@vpt}
\let\tiny\scriptsize

% For the larger sizes, we may as well allow some more stretch and shrink.
%
\def\large{\@setsize\large{12pt plus .1pt minus .1pt}\xpt\@xpt}
\def\Large{\@setsize\Large{14pt plus .2pt minus .2pt}\xiipt\@xiipt}
\def\LARGE{\@setsize\LARGE{18pt plus .2pt minus .2pt}\xivpt\@xivpt}
\def\huge{\@setsize\huge{22pt plus .3pt minus .3pt}\xviipt\@xviipt}
\def\Huge{\@setsize\Huge{25pt plus .3pt minus .3pt}\xxpt\@xxpt}

\normalsize  % Choose the normalsize font.

%  ****************************************
%  *            PAGE LAYOUT               *
%  ****************************************
%
% All margin dimensions measured from a point one inch from top and side
% of page.  THE TWO-SIDE MARGINS ARE MEANINGLESS IN THIS STYLE!!!

% SIDE MARGINS:
\if@twoside                 % Values for two-sided printing (meaningless):
   \oddsidemargin  44pt     %   Left margin on odd-numbered pages.
   \evensidemargin 82pt     %   Left margin on even-numbered pages.
   \marginparwidth 107pt    %   Width of marginal notes.
\else                       % Values for one-sided printing:
   \oddsidemargin  -.25in   %   Note that \oddsidemargin = \evensidemargin
   \evensidemargin -.25in   %   (Exact value is 4.5pc-1in)
   \marginparwidth 90pt
\fi
\marginparsep 11pt          % Horizontal space between outer margin and
                            % marginal note

% VERTICAL SPACING:
                         % Top of page:
\topmargin -.25in        %    Nominal distance from top of page to top of
                         %    box containing running head.
\headheight \z@          %    Height of box containing running head.
\headsep \z@             %    Space between running head and text.
\footskip \z@            %    Distance from baseline of box containing foot
                         %    to baseline of last line of text.

% DIMENSION OF TEXT:
% ACM allows the page (column?) height to vary from 9 1/8" (9.125in) to
% 9 7/16" (9.4375).  Unfortunately, in LaTeX it's impossible, in any simple
% way, to allow the page height to vary without also allowing the height of
% the columns on a page to differ, which doesn't look great (to my eye, any-
% way).  So instead we use \flushbottom at the maximum length.
\textheight 9.4375in\flushbottom

% The commented-out definition of \@textbottom is an alternative.  It sets
% the column height to the mean (9.28125in), then sets up a "pseudo ragged
% bottom" with a filler which can expand or contract to the limits allowed
% (.15625in).  You'll probably want to change the definitions of the leading
% for the various sizes to eliminate their stretch and shrink if you enable
% this.
%\textheight 9.28125in
%\def\@textbottom{\vskip \z@ plus .15625in minus .15625in \let\@texttop\relax}
\textwidth 7.0in         % Width of text line.  (2*20pc + 2pc)
                         % For two-column mode (default):
\columnsep .33in         %    Space between columns  (2pc)
\columnseprule 0pt       %    Width of rule between columns.

% FOOTNOTES:

\footnotesep 5.39pt   % Height of strut placed at the beginning of every
                      % footnote = height of normal \footnotesize strut,
                      % so no extra space between footnotes.

\skip\footins 8pt plus 4pt minus 2pt  % Space between last line of text and
                                      % top of first footnote.

% FLOATS: (a float is something like a figure or table)
%
%  FOR FLOATS ON A TEXT PAGE:
%
%    ONE-COLUMN MODE OR SINGLE-COLUMN FLOATS IN TWO-COLUMN MODE:
\floatsep 11pt plus 2pt minus 2pt        % Space between adjacent floats moved
                                         % to top or bottom of text page.
\textfloatsep 18pt plus 2pt minus 4pt    % Space between main text and floats
                                         % at top or bottom of page.
\intextsep 12pt plus 2pt minus 2pt       % Space between in-text figures and
                                         % text.
\@maxsep 18pt                            % The maximum of \floatsep,
                                         % \textfloatsep and \intextsep (minus
                                         % the stretch and shrink).
%    TWO-COLUMN FLOATS IN TWO-COLUMN MODE:
\dblfloatsep 11pt plus 2pt minus 2pt     % Same as \floatsep for double-column
                                         % figures in two-column mode.
\dbltextfloatsep 20pt plus 2pt minus 4pt % \textfloatsep for double-column
                                         % floats.
\@dblmaxsep 20pt                         % The maximum of \dblfloatsep and
                                         % \dbltexfloatsep.

%  FOR FLOATS ON A SEPARATE FLOAT PAGE OR COLUMN:
%    ONE-COLUMN MODE OR SINGLE-COLUMN FLOATS IN TWO-COLUMN MODE:
\@fptop 0pt plus 1fil    % Stretch at top of float page/column. (Must be
                         % 0pt plus ...)
\@fpsep 8pt plus 2fil    % Space between floats on float page/column.
\@fpbot 0pt plus 1fil    % Stretch at bottom of float page/column. (Must be
                         % 0pt plus ... )

%   DOUBLE-COLUMN FLOATS IN TWO-COLUMN MODE.
\@dblfptop 0pt plus 1fil % Stretch at top of float page. (Must be 0pt plus ...)
\@dblfpsep 8pt plus 2fil % Space between floats on float page.
\@dblfpbot 0pt plus 1fil % Stretch at bottom of float page. (Must be
                         % 0pt plus ... )
% MARGINAL NOTES:
%
\marginparpush 5pt       % Minimum vertical separation between two marginal
                         % notes.

%  ****************************************
%  *           PARAGRAPHING               *
%  ****************************************
%
\parskip 0pt plus 1pt              % Extra vertical space between paragraphs.
\parindent 1.5em                   % Width of paragraph indentation.
%\topsep 8pt plus 2pt minus 4pt    % Extra vertical space, in addition to
                                   % \parskip, added above and below list and
                                   % paragraphing environments.
\partopsep 2pt plus 1pt minus 1pt  % Extra vertical space, in addition to
                                   % \parskip and \topsep, added when user
                                   % leaves blank line before environment.
%\itemsep 4pt plus 2pt minus 1pt   % Extra vertical space, in addition to
                                   % \parskip, added between list items.
% See \@listI for values of \topsep and \itemsep
% (Change made 9 Jun 87)

% The following page-breaking penalties are defined

\@lowpenalty   51      % Produced by \nopagebreak[1] or \nolinebreak[1]
\@medpenalty  151      % Produced by \nopagebreak[2] or \nolinebreak[2]
\@highpenalty 301      % Produced by \nopagebreak[3] or \nolinebreak[3]

\@beginparpenalty -\@lowpenalty    % Before a list or paragraph environment.
\@endparpenalty   -\@lowpenalty    % After a list or paragraph environment.
\@itempenalty     -\@lowpenalty    % Between list items.

% \clubpenalty         % 'Club line'  at bottom of page.
% \widowpenalty        % 'Widow line' at top of page.
% \displaywidowpenalty % Math display widow line.
% \predisplaypenalty   % Breaking before a math display.
% \postdisplaypenalty  % Breaking after a math display.
% \interlinepenalty    % Breaking at a line within a paragraph.
% \brokenpenalty       % Breaking after a hyphenated line.

%    ****************************************
%    *             SECTIONS                 *
%    ****************************************
%

% \secdef{UNSTARCMDS}{STARCMDS} :
%    When defining a sectionioning command without using
%    \@startsection, you can use \secdef as follows:
%       \def\part { ... \secdef \CMDA \CMDB }
%       \def\CMDA  [#1]#2{ ... }     % Command to define \part[...]{...}
%       \def\CMDB  #1{ ... }         % Command to define \part*{...}

%
% This definition is unchanged from ART10 and probably not very useful
%
\def\part{\par               % New paragraph
   \addvspace{4ex}           % Adds vertical space above title.
   \@afterindentfalse        % Suppresses indent in first paragraph.  Change
   \secdef\@part\@spart}     % to \@afterindenttrue to have indent.

\def\@part[#1]#2{\ifnum \c@secnumdepth >\m@ne    % IF secnumdepth > -1
        \refstepcounter{part}                    %  THEN step part counter
        \addcontentsline{toc}{part}{\thepart     %       add toc line
        \hspace{1em}#1}\else                     %  ELSE add unnumbered line
      \addcontentsline{toc}{part}{#1}\fi         % FI
   { \parindent \z@ \raggedright
    \ifnum \c@secnumdepth >\m@ne   % IF secnumdepth > -1
      \Large \bf Part \thepart     %   THEN Print 'Part' and
      \par \nobreak                %          number in \Large boldface.
    \fi                            % FI
    \huge \bf                      % Select \huge boldface.
    #2\markboth{}{}\par }          % Print title and set heading marks null.
    \nobreak                       % TeX penalty to prevent page break.
    \vskip 3ex                     % Space between title and text.
   \@afterheading                  % Routine called after part and
    }                              %     section heading.

% Heading for \part* command
\def\@spart#1{{\parindent 0pt \raggedright
    \huge \bf
    #1\par}                         % Title.
    \nobreak                        % TeX penalty to prevent page break.
    \vskip 3ex                      % Space between title and text.
    \@afterheading                  % Routine called after part and
  }                                 %     section heading.

% \@startsection {NAME}{LEVEL}{INDENT}{BEFORESKIP}{AFTERSKIP}{STYLE}
%            optional * [ALTHEADING]{HEADING}
%    Generic command to start a section.
%    NAME       : e.g., 'subsection'
%    LEVEL      : a number, denoting depth of section -- i.e., section=1,
%                 subsection = 2, etc.  A section number will be printed if
%                 and only if LEVEL < or = the value of the secnumdepth
%                 counter.
%    INDENT     : Indentation of heading from left margin
%    BEFORESKIP : Absolute value = skip to leave above the heading.
%                 If negative, then paragraph indent of text following
%                 heading is suppressed.
%    AFTERSKIP  : if positive, then skip to leave below heading,
%                       else - skip to leave to right of run-in heading.
%    STYLE      : commands to set style
%  If '*' missing, then increments the counter.  If it is present, then
%  there should be no [ALTHEADING] argument.  A sectioning command
%  is normally defined to \@startsection + its first six arguments.
%
% Given the narrow columns, many section names break, and thus look funny.
% So we set all of the ones that are not run in with \raggedright.
\def\section{\@startsection {section}{1}{\z@}{-3.5ex plus -1ex minus
    -.2ex}{2.3ex plus .2ex}{\normalsize\@subheadfont\raggedright}}
\def\subsection{\@startsection{subsection}{2}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus -1ex minus
   -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\normalsize\@subheadfont\raggedright}}
\def\subsubsection{\@startsection{subsubsection}{3}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus
-1ex minus -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\normalsize\@subheadfont\raggedright}}
\def\paragraph{\@startsection
     {paragraph}{4}{\z@}{3.25ex plus 1ex minus .2ex}{-1em}%
	{\normalsize\@subheadfont}}
\def\subparagraph{\@startsection
     {subparagraph}{4}{\parindent}{3.25ex plus 1ex minus
     .2ex}{-1em}{\normalsize\@subheadfont}}

%
% We need to force the section heading to all upper case.
%
\let\ltx@@sect=\@sect
\def\@sect#1#2#3#4#5#6[#7]#8{\ltx@@sect {#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}{#5}{#6}[#7]%
	{\uppercase{#8}}}
\let\ltx@@ssect=\@ssect
\def\@ssect#1#2#3#4#5{\ltx@@ssect{#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}{\uppercase{#5}}}

% Default initializations of \...mark commands.  See below for their
% us in defining page styles.
%

% \def\sectionmark#1{}           % Preloaded definitions
% \def\subsectionmark#1{}
% \def\subsubsectionmark#1{}
% \def\paragraphmark#1{}
% \def\subparagraphmark#1{}

% The value of the counter secnumdepth gives the depth of the
% highest-level sectioning command that is to produce section numbers.
%

\setcounter{secnumdepth}{2}

% APPENDIX
%
% The \appendix command must do the following:
%    -- reset the section and subsection counters to zero
%    -- redefine the section counter to produce appendix numbers
%    -- redefine the \section command if appendix titles and headings are
%       to look different from section titles and headings.

\def\appendix{\par
  \setcounter{section}{0}
  \setcounter{subsection}{0}
  \def\thesection{\Alph{section}}}

%    ****************************************
%    *                LISTS                 *
%    ****************************************
%

% The following commands are used to set the default values for the list
% environment's parameters. See the LaTeX manual for an explanation of
% the meanings of the parameters.  Defaults for the list environment are
% set as follows.  First, \rightmargin, \listparindent and \itemindent
% are set to 0pt.  Then, for a Kth level list, the command \@listK is
% called, where 'K' denotes 'i', 'ii', ... , 'vi'.  (I.e., \@listiii is
% called for a third-level list.)  By convention, \@listK should set
% \leftmargin to \leftmarginK.
%
% For efficiency, level-one list's values are defined at top level, and
% \@listi is defined to set only \leftmargin

\leftmargini 2.5em
\leftmarginii 2.2em    % > \labelsep + width of '(m)'
\leftmarginiii 1.87em  % > \labelsep + width of 'vii.'
\leftmarginiv 1.7em    % > \labelsep + width of 'M.'
\leftmarginv 1em
\leftmarginvi 1em

\leftmargin\leftmargini
\labelsep .5em
\labelwidth\leftmargini\advance\labelwidth-\labelsep
% \parsep 4pt plus 2pt minus 1pt (Removed 9 Jun 87)

% \@listI defines top level and \@listi values of
% \leftmargin, \topsep, \parsep, and \itemsep
% (Added 9 Jun 87)
\def\@listI{\leftmargin\leftmargini \parsep 3.5pt plus 2pt minus 1pt%
\topsep 7.5pt plus 2pt minus 4pt%
\itemsep 3.5pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}

\let\@listi\@listI
\@listi

\def\@listii{\leftmargin\leftmarginii
   \labelwidth\leftmarginii\advance\labelwidth-\labelsep
   \topsep 3.5pt plus 2pt minus 1pt
   \parsep 2pt plus 1pt minus 1pt
   \itemsep \parsep}

\def\@listiii{\leftmargin\leftmarginiii
    \labelwidth\leftmarginiii\advance\labelwidth-\labelsep
    \topsep 2pt plus 1pt minus 1pt
    \parsep \z@ \partopsep 1pt plus 0pt minus 1pt
    \itemsep \topsep}

\def\@listiv{\leftmargin\leftmarginiv
     \labelwidth\leftmarginiv\advance\labelwidth-\labelsep}

\def\@listv{\leftmargin\leftmarginv
     \labelwidth\leftmarginv\advance\labelwidth-\labelsep}

\def\@listvi{\leftmargin\leftmarginvi
     \labelwidth\leftmarginvi\advance\labelwidth-\labelsep}

%    ****************************************
%    *                LISTS                 *
%    ****************************************
%

% ENUMERATE
%  Enumeration is done with four counters: enumi, enumii, enumiii
%  and enumiv, where enumN controls the numbering of the Nth level
%  enumeration.  The label is generated by the commands \labelenumi
%  ... \labelenumiv.  The expansion of \p@enumN\theenumN defines the
%  output of a \ref command.
%
% 16 Mar 88 -- changed defs of \labelenum... to use \theenum...

\def\labelenumi{\theenumi.}
\def\theenumi{\arabic{enumi}}

\def\labelenumii{(\theenumii)}
\def\theenumii{\alph{enumii}}
\def\p@enumii{\theenumi}

\def\labelenumiii{\theenumiii.}
\def\theenumiii{\roman{enumiii}}
\def\p@enumiii{\theenumi(\theenumii)}

\def\labelenumiv{\theenumiv.}
\def\theenumiv{\Alph{enumiv}}
\def\p@enumiv{\p@enumiii\theenumiii}

% ITEMIZE
% Itemization is controlled by four commands: \labelitemi, \labelitemii,
% \labelitemiii, and \labelitemiv, which define the labels of the various
% itemization levels.

\def\labelitemi{$\bullet$}
\def\labelitemii{\bf --}
\def\labelitemiii{$\ast$}
\def\labelitemiv{$\cdot$}

% VERSE
%   The verse environment is defined by making clever use of the
%   list environment's parameters.  The user types \\ to end a line.
%   This is implemented by \let'in \\ equal \@centercr.
%
\def\verse{\let\\=\@centercr
  \list{}{\itemsep\z@ \itemindent -1.5em\listparindent \itemindent
          \rightmargin\leftmargin\advance\leftmargin 1.5em}\item[]}
\let\endverse\endlist

% QUOTATION
%   Fills lines
%   Indents paragraph
%
\def\quotation{\list{}{\listparindent 1.5em
    \itemindent\listparindent
    \rightmargin\leftmargin \parsep 0pt plus 1pt}\item[]}
\let\endquotation=\endlist

% QUOTE -- same as quotation except no paragraph indentation,
%
\def\quote{\list{}{\rightmargin\leftmargin}\item[]}
\let\endquote=\endlist

% DESCRIPTION
%
%  To change the formatting of the label, you must redefine
%  \descriptionlabel.

\def\descriptionlabel#1{\hspace\labelsep \bf #1}
\def\description{\list{}{\labelwidth\z@ \itemindent-\leftmargin
       \let\makelabel\descriptionlabel}}

\let\enddescription\endlist

%\newdimen\descriptionmargin
%\descriptionmargin=3em
%    ****************************************
%    *         OTHER ENVIRONMENTS           *
%    ****************************************
%
%
% THEOREM
% \@begintheorem ... \@endtheorem are the commands executed at the
% beginning and end of a (user-defined) theorem-like environment.
% Except \@opargbegintheorem is executed when an optional argument is
% given.  Cf. LATEX.TEX.
%
% \def\@begintheorem#1#2{\it \trivlist \item[\hskip \labelsep{\bf #1\ #2}]}
% \def\@opargbegintheorem#1#2#3{\it \trivlist
%       \item[\hskip \labelsep{\bf #1\ #2\ (#3)}]}
% \def\@endtheorem{\endtrivlist}

% EQUATION and EQNARRAY
%
% \newcounter{equation}
%  Default is for left-hand side of equations to be flushleft.
%  To make them flushright, do:
%  \let\@eqnsel = \hfil
%

\def\theequation{\arabic{equation}}

% \jot = 3pt      % Extra space added between lines of an eqnarray environment

% The macro \@eqnnum defines how equation numbers are to appear in equations.
%
% \def\@eqnnum{(\theequation)}
%

% TITLEPAGE
%  In the normal environments, the titlepage environment does nothing but
%  start and end a page, and inhibit page numbers.  It also resets the
%  page number to zero.
%

\def\titlepage{\@restonecolfalse\if@twocolumn\@restonecoltrue\onecolumn
     \else \newpage \fi \thispagestyle{empty}\c@page\z@}

\def\endtitlepage{\if@restonecol\twocolumn \else \newpage \fi}

% ARRAY AND TABULAR
%

\arraycolsep 5pt     % Half the space between columns in an array environment.
\tabcolsep 6pt       % Half the space between columns in a tabular environment.
\arrayrulewidth .4pt % Width of rules in array and tabular environment.
\doublerulesep 2pt   % Space between adjacent rules in array or tabular env.

% TABBING
%
\tabbingsep \labelsep   % Space used by the \' command.  (See LaTeX manual.)

% MINIPAGE
%  \@minipagerestore is called upon entry to a minipage environment to
%  set up things that are to be handled differently inside a minipage
%  environment. In the current styles, it does nothing.

% \skip\@mpfootins : plays same role for footnotes in a minipage as
%                    \skip\footins does for ordinary footnotes

\skip\@mpfootins = \skip\footins

% FRAMEBOX
%
\fboxsep = 3pt    % Space left between box and text by \fbox and \framebox.
\fboxrule = .4pt  % Width of rules in box made by \fbox and \framebox.

%    ****************************************
%    *             SECTIONS                 *
%    ****************************************
%
% DEFINE COUNTERS:
%
% \newcounter{NEWCTR}[OLDCTR] : Defines NEWCTR to be a counter, which is
%                               reset to zero when counter OLDCTR is stepped.
%                               Counter OLDCTR must already be defined.

\newcounter{part}
\newcounter {section}
\newcounter {subsection}[section]
\newcounter {subsubsection}[subsection]
\newcounter {paragraph}[subsubsection]
\newcounter {subparagraph}[paragraph]

% For any counter CTR, \theCTR is a macro that defines the printed version
% of counter CTR.  It is defined in terms of the following macros:
%
%  \arabic{COUNTER} : The value of COUNTER printed as an arabic numeral.
%  \roman{COUNTER}  : Its value printed as a lower-case roman numberal.
%  \Roman{COUNTER}  : Its value printed as an upper-case roman numberal.
%  \alph{COUNTER}   : Value of COUNTER printed as a lower-case letter:
%                         1 = a, 2 = b, etc.
%  \Alph{COUNTER}   : Value of COUNTER printed as an upper-case letter:
%                           1 = A, 2 = B, etc.
%

\def\thepart{\Roman{part}} % Roman numeral part numbers.
\def\thesection       {\arabic{section}}
\def\thesubsection    {\thesection.\arabic{subsection}}
\def\thesubsubsection {\thesubsection .\arabic{subsubsection}}
\def\theparagraph     {\thesubsubsection.\arabic{paragraph}}
\def\thesubparagraph  {\theparagraph.\arabic{subparagraph}}

%    ****************************************
%    *         TABLE OF CONTENTS, ETC.      *
%    ****************************************
%
% A \subsection command writes a
%       \contentsline{subsection}{TITLE}{PAGE}
% command on the .toc file, where TITLE contains the contents of the
% entry and PAGE is the page number.  If subsections are being numbered,
% then TITLE will be of the form
%       \numberline{NUM}{HEADING}
% where NUM is the number produced by \thesubsection.  Other sectioning
% commands work similarly.
%
% A \caption command in a 'figure' environment writes
%    \contentsline{figure}{\numberline{NUM}{CAPTION}}{PAGE}
% on the .lof file, where NUM is the number produced by \thefigure and
% CAPTION is the figure caption.  It works similarly for a 'table' environment.
%
% The command \contentsline{NAME} expands to \l@NAME.  So, to specify
% the table of contents, we must define \l@section,
% \l@subsection, ... ; to specify the list of figures, we must define
% \l@figure; and so on.  Most of these can be defined with the
% \@dottedtocline command, which works as follows.
%
% \@dottedtocline{LEVEL}{INDENT}{NUMWIDTH}{TITLE}{PAGE}
%    LEVEL    : An entry is produced only if LEVEL < or = value of
%               'tocdepth' counter.  Note that \section is level 1,
%               \subsection is level 2, etc.
%    INDENT   : The indentation from the outer left margin of the start of
%               the contents line.
%    NUMWIDTH : The width of a box in which the section number is to go,
%               if TITLE includes a \numberline command.
%
% This command uses the following three parameters, which are set
% with a \def (so em's can be used to make them depend upon the font).
%   \@pnumwidth : The width of a box in which the page number is put.
%   \@tocrmarg  : The right margin for multiple line entries.  One
%                 wants \@tocrmarg > or = \@pnumwidth
%   \@dotsep    : Separation between dots, in mu units.  Should be \def'd to
%                 a number like 2 or 1.7

\def\@pnumwidth{1.55em}
\def\@tocrmarg {2.55em}
\def\@dotsep{4.5}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}

% TABLEOFCONTENTS
%
\def\tableofcontents{\section*{Contents\@mkboth{CONTENTS}{CONTENTS}}
  \@starttoc{toc}}

\def\l@part#1#2{\addpenalty{\@secpenalty}
   \addvspace{2.25em plus 1pt}  % space above part line
   \begingroup
   \@tempdima 3em         % width of box holding part number, used by
     \parindent \z@ \rightskip \@pnumwidth             %% \numberline
     \parfillskip -\@pnumwidth
     {\large \bf          % set line in \large boldface
     \leavevmode          % TeX command to enter horizontal mode.
     #1\hfil \hbox to\@pnumwidth{\hss #2}}\par
     \nobreak             % Never break after part entry
   \endgroup}

\def\l@section#1#2{\addpenalty{\@secpenalty}  % good place for page break
   \addvspace{1.0em plus 1pt}  % space above toc entry
   \@tempdima 1.5em            % width of box holding section number
   \begingroup
     \parindent \z@ \rightskip \@pnumwidth
     \parfillskip -\@pnumwidth
     \bf                  % Boldface.
     \leavevmode          % TeX command to enter horizontal mode.
      \advance\leftskip\@tempdima  %% added 5 Feb 88 to conform to
      \hskip -\leftskip            %% 25 Jan 88 change to \numberline
     #1\nobreak\hfil \nobreak\hbox to\@pnumwidth{\hss #2}\par
   \endgroup}

\def\l@subsection{\@dottedtocline{2}{1.5em}{2.3em}}
\def\l@subsubsection{\@dottedtocline{3}{3.8em}{3.2em}}
\def\l@paragraph{\@dottedtocline{4}{7.0em}{4.1em}}
\def\l@subparagraph{\@dottedtocline{5}{10em}{5em}}

% LIST OF FIGURES
%
\def\listoffigures{\section*{List of Figures\@mkboth
   {LIST OF FIGURES}{LIST OF FIGURES}}\@starttoc{lof}}

\def\l@figure{\@dottedtocline{1}{1.5em}{2.3em}}

% LIST OF TABLES
%
\def\listoftables{\section*{List of Tables\@mkboth
   {LIST OF TABLES}{LIST OF TABLES}}\@starttoc{lot}}
\let\l@table\l@figure

%    ****************************************
%    *             BIBLIOGRAPHY             *
%    ****************************************
%
% The thebibliography environment executes the following commands:
%
%  \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus .07em} --
%      Defines the `closed' format, where the blocks (major units of
%      information) of an entry run together.
%
%  \sloppy  -- Used because it's rather hard to do line breaks in
%      bibliographies,
%
%  \sfcode`\.=1000\relax --
%      Causes a `.' (period) not toproduce an end-of-sentence space.

\def\thebibliography#1{\section*{References\@mkboth
  {REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}}\list
  {[\arabic{enumi}]}{\settowidth\labelwidth{[#1]}\leftmargin\labelwidth
    \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
    \usecounter{enumi}}
    \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus .07em}
    \sloppy\clubpenalty4000\widowpenalty4000
    \sfcode`\.=1000\relax}

\let\endthebibliography=\endlist

% \def\@biblabel#1{[#1]\hfill}  % Produces the label for a \bibitem[...]
                                % command.
% \def\@cite#1{[#1]}            % Produces the output of the \cite command.

%    ****************************************
%    *              THE INDEX               *
%    ****************************************
%
% THE THEINDEX ENVIRONMENT
% Produces double column format, with each paragraph a separate entry.
% The user commands \item, \subitem and \subsubitem are used to
% produce the entries, and \indexspace adds an extra vertical space
% that's the right size to put above the first entry with a new letter
% of the alphabet.

\newif\if@restonecol

\def\theindex{\@restonecoltrue\if@twocolumn\@restonecolfalse\fi
\columnseprule \z@
\columnsep 35pt\twocolumn[\section*{Index}]
    \@mkboth{INDEX}{INDEX}\thispagestyle{plain}\parindent\z@
    \parskip\z@ plus .3pt\relax\let\item\@idxitem}

\def\@idxitem{\par\hangindent 40pt}

\def\subitem{\par\hangindent 40pt \hspace*{20pt}}

\def\subsubitem{\par\hangindent 40pt \hspace*{30pt}}

\def\endtheindex{\if@restonecol\onecolumn\else\clearpage\fi}

\def\indexspace{\par \vskip 10pt plus 5pt minus 3pt\relax}

%    ****************************************
%    *             FOOTNOTES                *
%    ****************************************
%
% \footnoterule is a macro to draw the rule separating the footnotes from
% the text.  It should take zero vertical space, so it needs a negative
% skip to compensate for any positive space taken by the rule.  (See
% PLAIN.TEX.)

\def\footnoterule{\kern-3\p@
  \hrule width .4\columnwidth
  \kern 2.6\p@}                 % The \hrule has default height of .4pt .

% \newcounter{footnote}

% The numbering style (arabic, alph, etc.) for ordinary footnotes
% is defined by the macro \thefootnote.
%
%   \@makefntext{NOTE} :
%        Must produce the actual footnote, using \@thefnmark as the mark
%        of the footnote and NOTE as the text.  It is called when effectively
%        inside a \parbox of width \columnwidth (i.e., with \hsize =
%        \columnwidth).
%
%        The following macro indents all lines of the footnote by 10pt, and
%        indents the first line of a new paragraph by 1em.  To change these
%        dimensions, just substitute the desired value for '10pt' [in both
%        places] or '1em'.  The mark is flushright against the footnote.
%          \long\def\@makefntext#1{\@setpar{\@@par\@tempdima \hsize
%             \advance\@tempdima-10pt\parshape \@ne 10pt \@tempdima}\par
%             \parindent 1em\noindent \hbox to \z@{\hss$^{\@thefnmark}$}#1}
%
%        A simpler macro is used, in which the footnote text is
%        set like an ordinary text paragraph, with no indentation except
%        on the first line of a paragraph, and the first line of the
%        footnote.  Thus, all the macro must do is set \parindent
%        to the appropriate value for succeeding paragraphs and put the
%        proper indentation before mark.

\long\def\@makefntext#1{\parindent 1em\noindent
            \hbox to 1.8em{\hss$^{\@thefnmark}$}#1}

% \@makefnmark : A macro to generate the footnote marker that goes
%                in the text.  Default definition used.

%    ****************************************
%    *         FIGURES AND TABLES           *
%    ****************************************
%
% Float placement parameters.  See LaTeX manual for their definition.
%
\setcounter{topnumber}{2}
\def\topfraction{.7}
\setcounter{bottomnumber}{1}
\def\bottomfraction{.3}
\setcounter{totalnumber}{3}
\def\textfraction{.2}
\def\floatpagefraction{.5}
\setcounter{dbltopnumber}{2}
\def\dbltopfraction{.7}
\def\dblfloatpagefraction{.5}

% \@makecaption{NUMBER}{TEXT} : Macro to make a figure or table caption.
%      NUMBER : Figure or table number--e.g., 'Figure 3.2'
%      TEXT   : The caption text.
%  Macro should be called inside a \parbox of right width, with \normalsize.
% changed 25 Jun 86 to fix according to Howard Trickey:
% instead of \unhbox\@tempboxa\par we do #1: #2\par
%
% This definition refers to the new \if@topcaption condition, which isn't
% in older LaTeX's.  So we define it, and set it permanently false, if
% necessary.  This needs a little hackery since \newif is \outer....
{\let\newif\relax \gdef\@tempa{\newif\if@topcaption}}
 \@ifundefined{if@topcaption}{\@tempa}{}

\long\def\@makecaption#1#2{\par\addvspace{10pt}
   \setbox\@tempboxa\hbox{#1: #2}
   \ifdim \wd\@tempboxa >\hsize   % IF longer than one line:
       #1: #2\par                 %   THEN set as ordinary paragraph.
     \else                        %   ELSE  center.
       \hbox to\hsize{\hfil\box\@tempboxa\hfil}
   \fi
   \if@topcaption\vskip 10pt\fi}

% To define a float of type TYPE (e.g., TYPE = figure), the document style
% must define the following.
%
%  \fps@TYPE   : The default placement specifier for floats of type TYPE.
%
%  \ftype@TYPE : The type number for floats of type TYPE.  Each TYPE has
%                associated a unique positive TYPE NUMBER, which is a power
%                of two.  E.g., figures might have type number 1, tables type
%                number 2, programs type number 4, etc.
%
%  \ext@TYPE   : The file extension indicating the file on which the
%                contents list for float type TYPE is stored.  For example,
%                \ext@figure = 'lof'.
%
%  \fnum@TYPE  : A macro to generate the figure number for a caption.
%                For example, \fnum@TYPE == Figure \thefigure.
%
%  The actual float-making environment commands--e.g., the commands
%  \figure and \endfigure--are defined in terms of the macros \@float
%  and \end@float, which are described below.
%
%  \@float{TYPE}[PLACEMENT] : Macro to begin a float environment for a
%     single-column float of type TYPE with PLACEMENT as the placement
%     specifier.  The default value of PLACEMENT is defined by \fps@TYPE.
%     The environment is ended by \end@float.
%     E.g., \figure == \@float{figure}, \endfigure == \end@float.

% FIGURE

\newcounter{figure}
\def\thefigure{\@arabic\c@figure}

\def\fps@figure{tbp}
\def\ftype@figure{1}
\def\ext@figure{lof}
\def\fnum@figure{Figure \thefigure}
\def\figure{\@float{figure}}
\let\endfigure\end@float
\@namedef{figure*}{\@dblfloat{figure}}
\@namedef{endfigure*}{\end@dblfloat}

% TABLE
%
\newcounter{table}
\def\thetable{\@arabic\c@table}

\def\fps@table{tbp}
\def\ftype@table{2}
\def\ext@table{lot}
\def\fnum@table{Table \thetable}
\def\table{\@float{table}}
\let\endtable\end@float
\@namedef{table*}{\@dblfloat{table}}
\@namedef{endtable*}{\end@dblfloat}

%    ****************************************
%    *         TITLE AND ABSTRACT           *
%    ****************************************
%

% \maketitle ==
%  BEGIN
%    \par
%    \begingroup
%      redefine \@makefnmark so footnote marks take zero space (this make
%        centering look better)
%      \thefootnote == \fnsymbol{footnote} % to number by *, dagger, etc.
%      if @twocolumn = true
%        then  \twocolumn[\@maketitle]
%        else \@maketitle
%      fi
%   \thispagestyle{plain}
%   \@thanks   % \thanks defines \@thanks to have \footnotetext commands for
%              % producing footnotes.
%   \endgroup
%  END

\def\maketitle{\par
 \begingroup
   \def\thefootnote{\fnsymbol{footnote}}
   \def\@makefnmark{\hbox
       to 0pt{$^{\@thefnmark}$\hss}}
   \if@twocolumn
     \twocolumn[\@maketitle]
%			       % Leave room for ACM copyright stuff
     \begin{figure}[b]
	\vskip -\dbltextfloatsep	% Cancel extra space at top
%
% Text specs say .75in, but the example sheet says 1in.  Sigh
%	\vskip .75in			% Insert the 3/4in ACM wants
	\vskip 1in			% Insert the 1in ACM wants
     \end{figure}
     \global\@minipagefalse    % Avoid screwing up section headings etc.
     \else \newpage
     \global\@topnum\z@        % Prevents figures from going at top of page.
     \@maketitle \fi\thispagestyle{plain}\@thanks
 \endgroup
 \setcounter{footnote}{0}
 \let\maketitle\relax
 \let\@maketitle\relax
 \gdef\@thanks{}\gdef\@author{}\gdef\@title{}\let\thanks\relax}

\def\@maketitle{\newpage
 \null
 \vbox to 2.35in{
 \vskip 2em plus .5fil minus 1.5em   % Vertical space above title.
 \begin{center}
  {\huge \@title \par}     % Title set in \huge size.
  \vskip 1.5em minus .4em        % Vertical space after title.
  {\large                        % each author set in \large, in a
   \lineskip .5em           % tabular environment
   \begin{tabular}[t]{c}\@author
   \end{tabular}\par}
  \vskip 1em              % Vertical space after author.
  {\large \@date}           % Date set in \large size.
 \end{center}
 \par
 \vskip 1.5em plus 1fil minus .5em}}             % Vertical space after date.

\def\abstract{\if@twocolumn
\section*{Abstract}
\else \small
\begin{center}
{\bf Abstract\vspace{-.5em}\vspace{0pt}}
\end{center}
\quotation
\fi}

\def\endabstract{\if@twocolumn\else\endquotation\fi}

%    ****************************************
%    *            PAGE STYLES               *
%    ****************************************
%
% The page style 'foo' is defined by defining the command \ps@foo.  This
% command should make only local definitions.  There should be no stray
% spaces in the definition, since they could lead to mysterious extra
% spaces in the output.
%
% The \ps@... command defines the macros \@oddhead, \@oddfoot,
% \@evenhead, and \@evenfoot to define the running heads and
% feet---e.g., \@oddhead is the macro to produce the contents of the
% heading box for odd-numbered pages.  It is called inside an \hbox of
% width \textwidth.
%
% To make headings determined by the sectioning commands, the page style
% defines the commands \sectionmark, ... , where
% \sectionmark{TEXT} is called by \section to set a mark, and so on.
% The \...mark commands and the \...head macros are defined with the
% help of the following macros.  (All the \...mark commands should be
% initialized to no-ops.)
%
% MARKING CONVENTIONS:
% LaTeX extends TeX's \mark facility by producing two kinds of marks
% a 'left' and a 'right' mark, using the following commands:
%     \markboth{LEFT}{RIGHT} : Adds both marks.
%     \markright{RIGHT}      : Adds a 'right' mark.
%     \leftmark  : Used in the \@oddhead, \@oddfoot, \@evenhead or \@evenfoot
%                  macro, gets the current 'left'  mark.  Works like TeX's
%                  \botmark command.
%     \rightmark : Used in the \@oddhead, \@oddfoot, \@evenhead or \@evenfoot
%                  macro, gets the current 'right'  mark.  Works like TeX's
%                  \firstmark command.
% The marking commands work reasonably well for right marks 'numbered
% within' left marks--e.g., the left mark is changed by a \section command and
% the right mark is changed by a \subsection command.  However, it does
% produce somewhat anomalous results if two \bothmark's occur on the same page.
%
% Commands like \tableofcontents that should set the marks in some page styles
% use a \@mkboth command, which is \let by the pagestyle command (\ps@...)
% to \markboth for setting the heading or \@gobbletwo to do nothing.

\mark{{}{}}   % Initializes TeX's marks

% \ps@empty and \ps@plain defined in LATEX.TEX

%
% In this style, none of the headings are meaningful; we turn them all into
% "empty".
%
\let\ps@headings=\ps@empty
\let\ps@myheadings=\ps@empty
\let\ps@plain=\ps@empty

%    ****************************************
%    *            MISCELLANEOUS             *
%    ****************************************
%
% DATE
%
\def\today{\ifcase\month\or
  January\or February\or March\or April\or May\or June\or
  July\or August\or September\or October\or November\or December\fi
  \space\number\day, \number\year}

%    ****************************************
%    *           INITIALIZATION             *
%
% Default initializations.  For ACM, we require two column output.  This
% makes typesetting harder, so we default to \sloppy.
%
\ps@empty                   % 'empty' page style
\pagenumbering{arabic}      % Arabic page numbers (meaningless)
\twocolumn                  % Double-column
%\flushbottom		    % Set earlier
\sloppy			    % Make things easier for TeX