[comp.text.tex] emTeX versus sbTeX

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (09/10/90)

I just installed emTeX and it seems to me that emTeX print a .DVI file
directly on a HP LJ without creating an intermediate .JEP file like sbTeX
does. Is this right? If so, what are advantages and disadvantages?

I think the advantage may be it simplifies the procedure in printing a file.
But how does the comannd know the printer is on LPT1 or LPT2? and does this
have something to do with quality?

I think the good thing to have a .JEP file is one can do all the TeX work
without owning a HP LJ and at the final stage copy the .JEP to a floppy disk
and use some one else' PC with a HP LJ which does not have to have a TeX
installed to print the file. I do this all the time. The command I used is
``copy file.jep /b lpt1 or 2: return''.

If what I said in the first paragraph is true, then how can one without a
HP LJ to use emTeX?

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (09/10/90)

In article <35374@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

>I just installed emTeX and it seems to me that emTeX print a .DVI file
>directly on a HP LJ without creating an intermediate .JEP file like sbTeX
>does. Is this right? If so, what are advantages and disadvantages?

You can have it either way. I suggest you read the manual. Since a little while
the've been translated to English.

>I think the advantage may be it simplifies the procedure in printing a file.
>But how does the comannd know the printer is on LPT1 or LPT2? and does this
>have something to do with quality?

See above. There's a config file which will tell the program where to put
what. If you specify a file, then it'll be put in a file.

>I think the good thing to have a .JEP file is one can do all the TeX work
>without owning a HP LJ and at the final stage copy the .JEP to a floppy disk
>and use some one else' PC with a HP LJ which does not have to have a TeX
>installed to print the file. I do this all the time.
>
>If what I said in the first paragraph is true, then how can one without a
>HP LJ to use emTeX?

It is not!

Willem Jan

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) (09/10/90)

In article <35374@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

>I just installed emTeX and it seems to me that emTeX print a .DVI file
>directly on a HP LJ without creating an intermediate .JEP file like sbTeX
>does. Is this right? If so, what are advantages and disadvantages?

Maybe your version of dvijep is able to print directly to the printer
without creating an intermediate *.jep file. Try adding something like

	dvijep -outfile:PRN *.jep

I hope this helps. Many drivers support this option.

racine@nexus.yorku.ca

dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/11/90)

In article <35374@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes...
>I just installed emTeX and it seems to me that emTeX print a .DVI file
>directly on a HP LJ without creating an intermediate .JEP file like sbTeX
>does. Is this right? If so, what are advantages and disadvantages?

>If what I said in the first paragraph is true, then how can one without a
>HP LJ to use emTeX?

Something fairly important to remember is that any DVI driver can
be used with any version of TeX. Thus, to use emTeX, it isn't
necessary to use the emTeX drivers. The number of combinations
possible is startlingly high. (My own personal preference is to
not have drivers bundled in closely with the TeX implementation
since some of the better drivers are independent of versions of
TeX).

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info