Date: Thu, 16 AUG 90 13:17:11 BST
From: TEX@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
Subject: Re: TeX 3.00 and hyphenation

In message TeXhax Digest V90 #52 of Fri, 22 Jun 90 09:37:40 PDT,
probert%cs@hub.ucsb.edu (Dave Probert) wrote:

> We picked up TeX 3.00 off of labrea, and had
> no problems compiling and installing it.  However
> hyphenation appears to be terribly broken.  'All'
> gets hyphenated as 'A-ll'.
>
> Did we do something wrong in the installation or
> it this some kind of defect in 3.00?

[We've only just received this TeXhax (must be one of those that went
astray mentioned by the moderators), and I can't recall having seen any

I suspect that you're trying to use the new TeX with an old plain.tex
format.  You *must* pick up the new (v3) edition of this, and rebuild
your format files.  Amongst other parameters, it sets \lefthyphenmin.

                               Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ JANET:     tex@uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs                                     +
+ BITNET:    tex%uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs@ac.uk                               +
+ INTERNET:  tex%uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                  +
+ UUCP:      ...!mcvax!rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk!tex                           +
+         OR ...!ukc!rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk!tex                             +
+ Smail:     School of Electrical Engineering & Science, Royal Military   +
+            College of Science, Shrivenham, SWINDON SN6 8LA, U.K.        +
+ Phone:     Swindon (0793) 785252 (UK), +44-793-785252 (International)   +

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 1990 10:19:50 PDT
From: Oren Patashnik <opbibtex@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: BibTeX-for-plain-TeX macros

There is now distributed with BibTeX a set of TeX macros that makes
BibTeX work with plain TeX (and presumably with other macro packages
that don't deviate too far from plain TeX).  The file is btxmac.tex,
stored on Labrea.Stanford.EDU's BibTeX area (pub/tex/bibtex).

	--Oren Patashnik

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 20:26:22 EDT
From: Eduardo_Ley@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: TeX macros for using MakeIndex and BibTeX

Does anybody have a set of macros for using Makeindex and BibTeX
with plain TeX? Alternatively, does anybody know of any indexing
TeX macros---i.e., to make a subject index for a book?
Thanks.

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 90 21:18 MET
From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: cmssbxsl font

    Hi all,

        After my request for a cmssbxsl font I received seversal replies,
        some of them telling me they were in search of the same thing.
        With this message I would like to summarize the responses.

        Sebastian Rahtz, spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk, wrote:

= you'll tell me i'm boring if i say that Lucida Sans has an excellent
= bold italic, as do all postscript sans fonts....
=
= sebastian
        I knew, but that wasn't what I was looking for this time

        Don Hosek, DHOSEK@HMCVAX.BITNET, wrote:

 - If you send me the size, expansion factor etc., I can send you the MF
 - for this (part of my custom font services). Since this is a fairly
 - simple task, I'll gladly do it for a good bottle of Dutch beer (you'll
 - have to mail it to me though since I don't see myself in Europe anytime
 - soon).
 -
 - -dh

        Thanks for the offer Don, but by the time your response reached
        me we already had a solution. The way to go was pointed by
        Dave Osborne (cczdao@clan.nott.ac.uk), who wrote:

= when i needed a slanted form of cmssdc10 (sans serif demibold condensed),
= i changed the setting of slant from "slant := 0;" to "slant := 1/6;",
= saved the result in a file called cmssdcsl10 and METAFONTed it.
= it is trivial to do the same to cmssbx10, to make cmssbxsl10,
= which should meet your needs.
=
= i asked Don Knuth at the time about the choice of name (basically,
= `was i allowed to call this a CM font?') and he said something to the
= effect of `yes, we use one-off fonts at Stanford all the time'.
=
= - dave osborne
=   university of nottingham & aston TeX archive group
=
        Inspection of the difference between cmr10 and cmsl10 learned us
        that this was the only difference (apart from the header).
        Inspection of cmssi10.mf revealed a slightly different value for
        slant:

slant:=sind 12/cosd 12;    % tilt ratio $(\Delta x/\Delta y)$

        We tried both values for slant, but the one retreived from
        cmssi10.mf looked best to us, so that's what we're using now.

% Computer Modern Sans Serif Bold Extended 10 pt
if unknown cmbase: input cmbase fi

font_identifier:="CMSSBX"; font_size 10pt#;
        into
% Computer Modern Sans Serif Bold Extended Slanted 10 pt
if unknown cmbase: input cmbase fi

font_identifier:="CMSSBXSL"; font_size 10pt#;

        Than replace
slant:=0;      % tilt ratio $(\Delta x/\Delta y)$
        with
slant:=sind 12/cosd 12;    % tilt ratio $(\Delta x/\Delta y)$

        and you have created cmssbxsl10.mf
        The same can be done to smaller versions of the font if needed.
        The only thing left to do is fire up METAFONT to create the font(s).

        I hope this helps all who have the same need for a font like
        cmssbxsl.

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl

E-mail was :
    EARN/BITnet : BRAAMS@HLSDNL5   UUCP        : hp4nl!dnlunx!johannes
    SURFnet     : DNLTS::BRAAMS    INTERnet    : BRAAMS%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
 PSS (DATAnet1) : +204 1170358::BRAAMS

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 90 14:10:42 PDT
From: "Ralf Treinen" <yxoc@cs.uni-sb.de>
Subject: Cyrillic in LaTeX

I am interested in writing articles and letters in both Russian and Polish.
Are there any LaTeX versions available to do this? I am looking for
a system whereby my .latex file is in Cyrillic or Polish. In other words
I would like to see the actual Cyrillic/Polish as I write it typing
control characters to write in Cyrillic which are not reflected in the
.latex file are next to impossible to read for a long article.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ajn@egrlab.ac.duke.edu

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 14:42:14 EDT
From: ROCKY@IBM.COM (Rocky Bernstein)
Subject: Subject: Problem TeXing weaved tex.web and bibtex.web

Has anyone else run into this problem? After weaving tex.web or bibtex.web
which I got today off of labrea.stanford.edu I get the error message:
! Missing # inserted
<inserted text>
               $
<to be read again>
                  \cdot
\E->\cdot
At this point in the text (line 610 of tex.tex) what is really input is \ETs.
Looking at tex.web on line 69 we have:
\catcode`E=13 \uppercase{\def E{e}}

But E is never catcoded back to 11, which I think explains the problem.
The same code appears in bibtex.web on line 65.

A fix of course is to add \catcode`E=11 a couple of lines down.

I find it hard to believe that I've found a bug, since I find it hard to
believe that no one has TeX'ed tex.web or bibtex.web. So what am I missing?

R. Bernstein
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 16:08:26 EDT
From: "James C. Alexander" <jca@anna.umd.edu>
Subject: Comments on Tib

I have been invited to write an article about Tib (for setting
references in TeX) for a software journal.  As part of this article, I
would like to include (anonymously) experiences and opinions of users.
Any comments are welcome.

J.  Alexander    jca@anna.umd.edu

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 11:10:04 -0700
From: Louis M. McDonald <louis@aerospace.aero.org>
Subject: LaTeX Newsletter style

I am looking for a newsletter style for LaTeX. Two columns
with a header spanning both columns on the first page is
desired. I could use two-column with report or article, but
I thought I might see if anyone has such a beast.

Louis McDonald
louis@aerospace.aero.org

Date: Wed,  8 Aug 90 08:41:13 CDT
From: "Erica Harris" <GA.EMH@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU>
Subject: LaTeX setspace.sty

I would like to resubmit the setspace.sty file I sent in a few weeks ago.
Charles Franklin very kindly pointed out a couple of problems and on going back
to the file I found that the changes I had originally made had all disappeared!
Brings home the dangers of not saving one's active files regularly.

Erica Harris,                       Bitnet:   ga.emh@isumvs.bitnet
Iowa State University               Internet: ga.emh@isumvs.iastate.edu

%% FILE:   setspace.sty in SYS2.TEX.PUB.ISULATEX.STYLES
%% AUTHOR: Erica M. S. Harris
%% DATE:   April 1990
%% DESCR:  LaTeX Document style option "setspace"
%%         Usage:  \documentstyle[...,setspace,...]{...}
%%         Based on the doublespace option created by Stephen Page.
%%
%%         This style option provides commands and environments for doing
%%         double and  one-and-a-half spacing based on pt size.
%%
%%         Single spacing is the default.
%%
%%         Three commands, \doublespacing, \onehalfspacing, and
%%         \singlespacing, are for use in the preamble to set the overall
%%         spacing for the document.  If a different spacing is required then
%%         the \setstretch{baselinestretch} command can be used in the
%%         preamble to set the baselinestretch appropriately.  The default
%%         spacing with this style option is single spacing.
%%
%%         Three environments, singlespace, onehalfspace, and doublespace,
%%         allow the spacing to be changed within the document.  Both the
%%         onehalfspace and doublespace environments are intended to increase
%%         the spacing, so the onehalfspace environment should not be used in
%%         a double spaced document.  If an increased spacing different from
%%         one-and-a-half or double spacing is required then the spacing
%%         environment can be used.  The spacing environment takes one
%%         argument which is the larger baselinestretch to use,
%%         e.g., \begin{spacing}{2.5}.
%%
%%         \footins is adjusted the same as \parskip - appears to work. Lose
%%         stretch parts but don't consider that to be crucial
%%
%%         Removed code for altering spacing before and after displayed
%%         equations - just looked too much.
%%
%% MODS:
%%
%% PLEASE REPORT ANY BUGS
%%
%%   Old Documentation follows:
%%         1. A new environment "singlespace" is provided, within which single
%%            spacing will apply.
%%            JFL - changed so that it works in regular text and so that
%%            vertical space before and after is correctly computed
%%         2. Double spacing is turned off within footnotes and floats (figures
%%            and tables).
%%         3. Proper double spacing happens below tabular environments and in
%%            other places where LaTeX uses a strut.
%%         4. Slightly more space is inserted before footnotes.
%%         5. JFL - fixes spacing before and after displayed math
%%
%%
%%    mods:   Jean-Francois Lamy
%%            lamy@ai.toronto.edu
%%            lamy@utai.uucp
%%
%% POSSIBLE BUGS:
%%    . Increasing struts may possibly cause some other obscure part of
%%      formatting to fall over.
%%    . \begin{singlespace}\begin{quote} produces the wrong spacing before
%%      the quote (extra glue is inserted).
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\def\doublespacing{\ifcase \@ptsize \relax % 10pt
    \def\baselinestretch{1.667}
  \or % 11pt
    \def\baselinestretch{1.618}
  \or % 12pt
    \def\baselinestretch{1.655}
  \fi}

\def\onehalfspacing{\ifcase \@ptsize \relax % 10pt
    \def\baselinestretch{1.25}
  \or % 11pt
    \def\baselinestretch{1.213}
  \or % 12pt
    \def\baselinestretch{1.241}
  \fi}

\def\singlespacing{\def\baselinestretch{1}}

\def\setstretch#1{\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{#1}}

%---Stretch the baseline BEFORE calculating the strut size. This improves
%   spacing below tabular environments etc., probably...
%   Comments are welcomed.

\def\@setsize#1#2#3#4{\@nomath#1 \let\@currsize#1 %
   \baselineskip #2 %
   \baselineskip\baselinestretch\baselineskip
   \parskip\baselinestretch\parskip
   \setbox\strutbox\hbox{\vrule height.7\baselineskip
      depth.3\baselineskip width\z@}%
   \skip\footins \baselinestretch\skip\footins
   \normalbaselineskip\baselineskip#3#4}

%---Increase the space between last line of text and footnote rule.
%\skip\footins 20pt plus4pt minus4pt

%---Reset baselinestretch within footnotes and floats.

\def\@xfloat#1[#2]{\ifhmode \@bsphack\@floatpenalty -\@Mii\else
   \@floatpenalty-\@Miii\fi\def\@captype{#1}\ifinner
      \@parmoderr\@floatpenalty\z@
    \else\@next\@currbox\@freelist{\@tempcnta\csname ftype@#1\endcsname
       \multiply\@tempcnta\@xxxii\advance\@tempcnta\sixt@@n
       \@tfor \@tempa :=#2\do
                        {\if\@tempa h\advance\@tempcnta \@ne\fi
                         \if\@tempa t\advance\@tempcnta \tw@\fi
                         \if\@tempa b\advance\@tempcnta 4\relax\fi
                         \if\@tempa p\advance\@tempcnta 8\relax\fi
         }\global\count\@currbox\@tempcnta}\@fltovf\fi
    \global\setbox\@currbox\vbox\bgroup
    \def\baselinestretch{1}\@normalsize
    \boxmaxdepth\z@
    \hsize\columnwidth \@parboxrestore}

\long\def\@footnotetext#1{\insert\footins{\def\baselinestretch{1}\footnotesize
    \interlinepenalty\interfootnotelinepenalty
    \splittopskip\footnotesep
    \splitmaxdepth \dp\strutbox \floatingpenalty \@MM
    \hsize\columnwidth \@parboxrestore
   \edef\@currentlabel{\csname p@footnote\endcsname\@thefnmark}\@makefntext
    {\rule{\z@}{\footnotesep}\ignorespaces
      #1\strut}}}

% A single spaced quote (say) is done by surrounding singlespace with quote.
%
\def\singlespace{%
\vskip\baselineskip%
\def\baselinestretch{1}%
\ifx\@currsize\normalsize\@normalsize\else\@currsize\fi%
\vskip-\baselineskip}

\def\endsinglespace{\par}

%  spacing, doublespace and onehalfspace all are meant to INCREASE the
%  spacing (i.e. calling onehalfspace from within doublespace will not
%  produce a graceful transition between spacings)
%
\def\spacing#1{\par%
 \def\baselinestretch{#1}%
 \ifx\@currsize\normalsize\@normalsize\else\@currsize\fi}

\def\endspacing{\par%
 \vskip \parskip%
 \vskip \baselineskip%
 \endgroup%
 \vskip -\parskip%
 \vskip -\baselineskip%
 \begingroup}

% one and a half spacing is 1.5 x pt size
\def\onehalfspace{\ifcase \@ptsize \relax  % 10pt
     \spacing{1.25}
   \or % 11pt
     \spacing{1.213}
   \or % 12pt
     \spacing{1.241}
   \fi}
\let\endonehalfspace=\endspacing

% double spacing is 2 x pt size
\def\doublespace{\ifcase \@ptsize \relax % 10pt
    \spacing{1.667}
  \or % 11pt
    \spacing{1.618}
  \or % 12pt
    \spacing{1.655}
  \fi}
\let\enddoublespace=\endspacing

%%%          where xxx is the nearest geographical site in the
%%%          tree shown below
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%% Here is the BITNET re-distribution tree as shown in a recent
%%% REVIEW (The geography is guessed at from the subscription list)
%%%
%%%                        CLVM    TAMVM1      FINHUTC
%%%                           |    |     (Finland, UK, Scand, CERN)
%%%                           |    |           |
%%%  TeXhax ----> UWAVM ----- MARIST ----- EB0UB011 ----- BNANDP11
%%%                           |     (France,Italy,Spain)  (Belgium)
%%%                           |                |
%%%                        UBVM      HEARN --- DEARN
%%%                              (Netherlands) (Germany)
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@MATH.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       3.0                   metafont  2.0
%%%    plain.tex 3.0                   plain.mf  1.8
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 (12/7/89)        cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09 (12/4/89)        gftodvi   3.0
%%%    tangle    4.0                   gftopk    2.2
%%%    weave     4.1                   gftype    3.0
%%%    dvitype   3.2                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    3.2                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    3.1                   mft       2.0
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%