[comp.text.tex] Mittelbach's multicol environment

dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.033142.20051@ecn.purdue.edu>, steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard A. Steele) writes...
>In article <SMITH.90Sep5132229@zeus.harvard.edu> smith@zeus.harvard.edu
>(Steven Smith) writes:
>Since there seems to be general interest on the net, I think I should
>mention that I have a copy of Frank Mittelbach's multicol environment.
>Not only can you define several columns (I've gone as high as three),
>but you can switch between any number of columns (inlcluding, say,
>two and one).

>I'm not sure where I got it from, but I'd be willing to E-mail copies
>to anyone who asks; a deluge of requests aside, I'll try to get a
>copy of it to you as soon as possible.

>Question:  I have version 1.2a (dated 90/02/05), which was considered
>preliminary when I got it.  Does anyone know if there is a later version?
>Mr. Mittelbach promised a version that could handle floats within
>the columns; something I've needed to do for awhile.

There are three official sources for Mittelbach's macros:

(1) ymir.claremont.edu (FTP users should retrieve files from the
directory [anonymous.tex.inputs.latex-mainz]; mailserv users
should send the request
send [tex.inputs.latex-mainz]multicol.readme
to find out what files are necessary (mailserv requests should be
directed to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu))
(2) The Aston archive (for users on Janet)
(3) listserv@dhdurz1 (for European Bitnet people).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard A. Steele) (09/11/90)

In article <8352@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu writes:

>There are three official sources for Mittelbach's macros:
>
>(1) ymir.claremont.edu (FTP users should retrieve files from the
>directory [anonymous.tex.inputs.latex-mainz]; mailserv users
>should send the request
>send [tex.inputs.latex-mainz]multicol.readme
>to find out what files are necessary (mailserv requests should be
>directed to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu))
>(2) The Aston archive (for users on Janet)
>(3) listserv@dhdurz1 (for European Bitnet people).

>Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
>dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
>dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
>uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
>                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

I just FTP'd the multicol style from ymir.claremont.edu, and it seems
the distribution has changed a little bit.  multicol is now at
version 1.3a.  I'd already sent some people the older version before
I saw this.

Please, let's eradicate the older version:  if I've sent you a copy
of version 1.2a, get the latest release from ymir.claremont.

Richard Steele          |  INTERNET : steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET   : steele%ea.ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP     : {purdue, pur-ee}!en.ecn.purdue.edu!steele