[comp.text.tex] \eqnarray or \eqalignno

ard@cs.bham.ac.uk (Antoni Diller <DillerAR>) (09/10/90)

I use LaTeX a lot but I think that Lamport's \eqnarray environment is a
complete disaster and I use the
TeX commands \eqalign and \eqalignno instead, getting
them back into LaTeX involves uncommenting some bits of lplain.
The problem with \eqnarray is that the spacing around the middle symbol is all
wrong and, furthermore, \eqnarray can't be nested inside anything else,
but \eqalign can.

Similarly, I think TeX's \cases command is preferable to LaTeX's messy
way of getting the same result (page 49 of Lamport's overpriced book).

Does anyone agree?

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (09/11/90)

In article <1000@christopher-robin.cs.bham.ac.uk> ard@cs.bham.ac.uk (Antoni Diller <DillerAR>) writes:

   I use LaTeX a lot but I think that Lamport's \eqnarray environment is a
   complete disaster [...]

Then you will be glad to know of amstex.sty, which is allegedly just
around the corner and gives you access to all the mathematics macros
of AMS-TeX inside LaTeX.  No one does mathematical typesetting better
than AMS-TeX, or with less hazzle...

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/12/90)

In article <HANCHE.90Sep11183537@hufsa.imf.unit.no>, hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes...
>In article <1000@christopher-robin.cs.bham.ac.uk> ard@cs.bham.ac.uk (Antoni Diller <DillerAR>) writes:

>   I use LaTeX a lot but I think that Lamport's \eqnarray environment is a
>   complete disaster [...]

>Then you will be glad to know of amstex.sty, which is allegedly just
>around the corner and gives you access to all the mathematics macros
>of AMS-TeX inside LaTeX.  No one does mathematical typesetting better
>than AMS-TeX, or with less hazzle...

Actually, it's here and available from all the major archives.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info