[comp.text.tex] Getting rid of the page number

cmj851@csc.anu.oz.au (Richard Walker) (09/13/90)

I would like *not* to have the page number on the first page
of some of my documents using the `article' style, because they
are just one page.  I tried to do this using \pagestyle{empty}, but
LaTeX insists on putting the page number in (at the bottom of the
page), nonetheless.

My workaround is editing the PostScript I get from the .dvi file,
but there must be a better way!

What is it?

Thanks in advance.  (Replies to walrmath@fac3.anu.oz.au)
--
Richard Walker                            (walrmath@fac3.anu.oz.au)
Centre for Mathematical Analysis

jourdan@minos.inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) (09/13/90)

Use \thispagestyle{empty} somewhere before the first page break.  And,
when you find some time, read the manual...

Martin Jourdan <jourdan@minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
Why do we need all these %$#@%$# disclaimers?!?

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep13.152344.2817@csc.anu.oz.au>, cmj851@csc (Richard Walker) writes:
 |I would like *not* to have the page number on the first page
 |of some of my documents using the `article' style, because they
 |are just one page.  I tried to do this using \pagestyle{empty}, but
 |LaTeX insists on putting the page number in (at the bottom of the
 |page), nonetheless.

You have to use the command \thispagestyle{empty}. Beware, if you use the
\maketitle command, you must put \thispagestyle after \maketitle.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

ews@mickey.Stanford.EDU (Ed Sznyter) (09/14/90)

In article <1603@seti.inria.fr> jourdan@minos.inria.fr writes:
>Use \thispagestyle{empty} somewhere before the first page break.  And,
>when you find some time, read the manual...
>
>Martin Jourdan <jourdan@minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
>Why do we need all these %$#@%$# disclaimers?!?

Perhaps you didn't read the question.  This is a common problem;
many commands in various styles will happily set \thispagestyle{plain}
even if you've done a \thispagestyle{empty}.  You could turn off
pagenumbering in an entire document by

\pagestyle{empty}
\makeatletter \ps@plain=\ps@empty \makeatother

but I wouldn't recommend it, because it's grotesque.
--
----------------
	Ed Sznyter

feb@maths.bath.ac.uk (Fran Burstall) (09/15/90)

In article <1603@seti.inria.fr> jourdan@minos.inria.fr writes:
>Use \thispagestyle{empty} somewhere before the first page break.  And,
>when you find some time, read the manual...

Hmm...look up \thispagestyle in the LaTeX book; turn to page 161 and read. No
hint there that \thispagestyle behaves any differently from \pagestyle as
regards numbering the first page...

Thanx for the tip tho'...I have also wondered about this.

Fran

--
Fran Burstall, School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath
		Bath, BA2 7AY, ENGLAND