[comp.text.tex] Bigletter macros and mortising

glenn@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (09/07/90)

Decorative initial letter macros are great. Does anyone have one that can
mortise type?

e.g.,

  /\ NOTHER macro to produce this mortised effect would be very nice. I don't
 /--\  know whether it is simple to do in TeX or not. One would have to do
/    \  something with the font metrics in order to get it right I think. Of
course each letter could be treated differently using \if. Is there an
easier way?

			Cheers,
				Glenn

glenn@qed.physics.su.oz.au
--
Glenn Geers                       | "So when it's over, we're back to people.
Department of Theoretical Physics |  Just to prove that human touch can have

dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.074335.9271@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>, glenn@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU writes...
>Decorative initial letter macros are great. Does anyone have one that can
>mortise type?

>e.g.,

>  /\ NOTHER macro to produce this mortised effect would be very nice. I don't
> /--\  know whether it is simple to do in TeX or not. One would have to do
>/    \  something with the font metrics in order to get it right I think. Of
>course each letter could be treated differently using \if. Is there an
>easier way?

No, the only way to handle mortising is with a \if selection.
Fortunately, the affected letters are few (I am of the school
that in dropped caps, only the first line should be mortised,
which means the only letters affected are A and L. One third the
width of the A and two-thirds the width of the L work
sufficiently well.

++++
|--
|or a raised cap, mortising is somewhat more difficult since the
number of letters affected is greater (F, P, T, V, W and Y), but
again, some experimentally determined fractions work well. (One
of my books on typography in a discussion on this sort of thing
gives directions on cutting the lead type).

My macro for a two line dropped cap with mortising is in
[anonymous.tex.inputs.local]clinicsheet.sty on ymir.claremont.edu

A few other tips on dropped caps: align the cap with either the
bottom of the lowest line it touches or the tops of the letters
of the first line (my preference is for the former) or both. The
initial should usually be in the same font as the surrounding
text, although there are some cases where another face will work
(one that looks very nice is a Lombardic capital with sans-serif
type).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

palmerp@galois.math.orst.edu (Paul A. Palmer) (09/08/90)

I saw the following file advertised:

       From: dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.)
       Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
       Subject: Re: Bigletter macros and mortising
       Date: 7 Sep 90 18:25:58 GMT
       Sender: news@jarthur.Claremont.EDU

       [stuff deleted]

       My macro for a two line dropped cap with mortising is in
       [anonymous.tex.inputs.local]clinicsheet.sty on ymir.claremont.edu

       -dh

---------------
I tried unsuccessfully to ftp this file. Seems I am not permitted access to
the file or the directory. Is there another way to obtain it?
Thanks for any help.

--
Paul Palmer
Department of Mathematics     	E-mail: palmerp@math.orst.edu

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/11/90)

In article <PALMERP.90Sep7172144@galois.math.orst.edu>, palmerp@galois.math.orst.edu (Paul A. Palmer) writes...

>I saw the following file advertised:
>       My macro for a two line dropped cap with mortising is in
>       [anonymous.tex.inputs.local]clinicsheet.sty on ymir.claremont.edu
>I tried unsuccessfully to ftp this file. Seems I am not permitted access to
>the file or the directory. Is there another way to obtain it?
>Thanks for any help.

The file and directory are both fine.

The following commands should get it for you:

cd [anonymous.tex.inputs.local]
get clinicsheet.sty

-dh

---

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (09/15/90)

dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu writes:

>No, the only way to handle mortising is with a \if selection.
Well, Don Hosek is usually right about TeX things... but in this case, I'm
not sure.  With kerning versions of troff at least, you can do better.

/=====/

   |  he letters that stick up are easy:  Suppose the cap-height of the
normal-sized letters is comparable to a lower-case `e' in the larger size.
Then all we do is find the difference between
    the width of ``Te''
    the width ot `T' plus the width of `e'
(in other words, the kern for Te).  This is how much closer to move the
"he" to the "T" in the beginning "The" on the first line.

For letters that stick down, kern against a T instead, since the first line
of text will behave like the cross-bar of a T.  (If the difference in size is
smaller, kern against W).

This works quite well in practice, even if it sounds strange, and doesn't
require special cases for each (letter, font) combination.

Lee

--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337
[Granny weatherwax] was opposed to books on strict moral grounds, since she