Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 10:55:09 PDT
From: stuart@ads.com (Stuart Crawford)
Subject: integrating multiple .bib files

Over the years, I have assembled many .bib files.  Its gotten to the point
that there is enough overlap in those files that, whenever I write a new
paper, report, or proposal, I have to go through a boring exercise of
grapping a few entries from a number of different files.  What I would like
is a program that could combine all my .bib files into a single file, making
sure that any duplicate entries were removed.

Something like "bibfuse file1.bib file2.bib...fileN.bib > newfile.bib" would
be great.  Any ideas?

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 14:23:47 -0400
From: amgreene@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Centered last line of paragraph

You have to set the paragraph in a \vbox, then you can take the
last line off of it with \lastbox and reset it, centered.

I'd send more details, but I'm in a rush.  If you need more detailed
instructions, send me mail.

Hope this helps!

  Andrew Marc Greene
  <amgreene@athena.mit.edu>
  Chairman, Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
  MIT Project Athena Watchmaker

Date: Mon, 20 AUG 90 17:39:06 BST
From: TEX@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Centered last line of paragraph

In message TeXhax Digest Volume 90 : Issue 52
on Mon, 18 Jun 90 07:54:57 EDT, Stephen Moye <SMOYE@brownvm.brown.edu> wrote:

> The answer to this question is probably very simple, but has so far eluded
> me. If a paragraph is justified, how do you tell *plain* TeX that you
> want the last line of the paragraph to be centered? This is a format
> requirement that has been imposed on me and I have had no luck in finding

A supremely elegant solution to this problem appeared in TeXhax V89 #51;
coincidentally, my colleague Niel Kempson needed exactly this formatting
himself just a day or two ago and found Mike Spivey's excellent
contribution...

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 09:23:50 PLT
From: Dean Guenther <GUENTHER%WSUVM1@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: WSLIPA fonts

>       I have copied the Washington University IPA fonts from one of the
>       fileservers (LISTSERV@DHDURZ1 to be precise) but get some errors
>       generating the slanted versions, WSLIPA8-WSLIPA17. The following
>       sequence of errors occured when running METAFONT on WSLIPA8.MF:
>       When running METAFONT on the other sizes (9 10, 11, 12, 17) the same
>       errors occured (not always all).
>       Comparing the resultant font with bitmaps we obtained from WSU
>       using testfont.tex revailed no (visible) differences.
>
>       I'm no METAFONT expert, what should I do? The fonts look good,
>       but getting errors worries me a little.

I'm not a MF person either, but I talked to the author,
and she says the messages are only warnings. Feel free to run the
font generations in batch mode, so you don't have to hit enter after
each prompt for the warning message. -- Dean

waits
\mode=?printer?
input wslipa8
scrollmode

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 90 10:22:20 PDT
From: wagman%praxis.hepnet@Csa2.LBL.Gov (Gary S. Wagman 415/486-6610)
Subject: Doublecolumns, marks in headlines

Bryan Carlson asked for help with double column name and address lists that
would have the first name in the headline. He says he has problems with the
complexity of marks, but frankly, it is the double columns that I find
difficult. I throw in the last name, too, and if you do not want it, just
change "\hbox{\expandafter\botmark}" to "\hbox{}". The most arcane concept is
KNOWING to use \expandafter for \mark as well as \firstmark and \botmark.

Anyway, I had solved this problem in a more complex publication, the Review of
Particle Properties, where we can have several particles on a page, so for
example, in the headline of one page we have "f_2(2175), X(2200), f_4(2220),
rho_3(2250)" which requires \topmark (because a particle may be a continuation
on the current page) and \botmark, but also requires a looping mechanism for
all of the particles that may occur between the \top one and the \bot one. It
wasn't easy or elegant!

In hacking my previous work to show Bryan, I may have left some extraneous
stuff...sorry. I have a question, too, that occurred in developing this
demonstation. In my macro \NAME, I want to put \obeylines for the address
lines and to call the macro with an argument on separate lines. How do you
make TeX pass the individual lines to the macro? That is, when I tried:
\def\NAME...etc
{\obeylines%
#2\par}  ...}

TeX took:

\NAME{Gary Wagman}
{Lawrence Berkeley Lab
One Cyclotron Road 50--308
Berkeley, CA  94720}

and printed:

Gary Wagman
Lawrence Berkeley Lab One Cyclotron Road 50--308 Berkeley, CA  94720

BITNET:   WAGMAN@LBL
HEPNET:   LBL::WAGMAN
INTERNET: WAGMAN@LBL.GOV
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

% KNUTH'S TWO-COLUMN FORMAT (TEXBOOK PAGE 257)
% WITH ENHANCEMENTS
%
%
%
% The user should define \fullhsize which is the width of both columns
% plus the gutter.
%
\newdimen\fullhsize
\newdimen\guttersize
%
%
\let\lr=L \newbox\leftcolumn
\voffset = -.1in
\fullhsize = 6.5in
\hsize=3in
\newbox\LeftHeader
\newbox\RightHeader
\output=
{
    \if L\lr
        \global\setbox\LeftHeader=\hbox{\expandafter\firstmark}
        \global\setbox\leftcolumn=\columnbox
        \global\let\lr=R
    \else
        \global\setbox\RightHeader=\hbox{\expandafter\botmark}
        \doubleformat
        \global\let\lr=L
    \fi
    \ifnum\outputpenalty>-20000
    \else
        \dosupereject
    \fi
}
%
%
%
%
\newbox\ColumnBox
\def\doubleformat%
{%
    \guttersize = \fullhsize
    \advance\guttersize by -\hsize
    \advance\guttersize by -\hsize
    \shipout\vbox%
    {%
        \headerline%
        \hbox to\fullhsize%
        {%
            \box\leftcolumn \hglue\guttersize \columnbox\hss%
        }%
        \makefootline%
    }%
    \advancepageno%
}
%
%
%
\def\columnbox{\leftline{\pagebody}}
\def\makeheadline%
{%
    \vbox to 0pt%
    {%
        \vskip-22.5pt%
        \hbox to\fullhsize{\vbox to8.5pt{}\the\headline}%
        \vss%
    }%
    \nointerlineskip%
}
%
%
%
\footline={\hss}
%
%
%
\def\headerline%
{%
    \hsize = \fullhsize%
%
    \hbox%
    {%
        \hss%
        \vbox%
        {%
            \offinterlineskip
            \hbox to \hsize%
            {%
                \strut%
                \copy\LeftHeader\hfil\copy\RightHeader%
            }%
        }%
    }%
    \nointerlineskip%
    \hrule depth 6pt height 0pt width 0pt%
    \hrule height 1.4pt depth 0pt width \hsize%
    \hrule height 7pt depth 0pt width 0pt%
}
\long\def\NAME#1#2%
{%
    \expandafter\mark{#1}\nobreak%
    #1\par
    #2\par
    \vskip .3in%
}
\parindent = 0in
\NAME{name 01}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 02}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 03}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 04}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 05}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 06}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 07}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 08}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 09}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 10}{address\par city}
\NAME{name 11}{}\NAME{name 12}{}\NAME{name 13}{}\NAME{name 14}{}\NAME{name 15}{}
\NAME{name 16}{}\NAME{name 17}{}\NAME{name 18}{}\NAME{name 19}{}\NAME{name 20}{}
\NAME{name 21}{}\NAME{name 22}{}\NAME{name 23}{}\NAME{name 24}{}\NAME{name 25}{}
\NAME{name 26}{}\NAME{name 27}{}\NAME{name 28}{}\NAME{name 29}{}\NAME{name 30}{}
\NAME{name 31}{}\NAME{name 32}{}\NAME{name 33}{}\NAME{name 34}{}\NAME{name 35}{}
\NAME{name 36}{}\NAME{name 37}{}\NAME{name 38}{}\NAME{name 39}{}\NAME{name 40}{}
\NAME{name 41}{}\NAME{name 42}{}\NAME{name 43}{}\NAME{name 44}{}\NAME{name 45}{}
\NAME{name 46}{}\NAME{name 47}{}\NAME{name 48}{}\NAME{name 49}{}\NAME{name 50}{}
\NAME{name 51}{}\NAME{name 52}{}\NAME{name 53}{}\NAME{name 54}{}\NAME{name 55}{}
\NAME{name 56}{}\NAME{name 57}{}\NAME{name 58}{}\NAME{name 59}{}\NAME{name 60}{}
\NAME{name 61}{}\NAME{name 62}{}\NAME{name 63}{}\NAME{name 64}{}\NAME{name 65}{}
\NAME{name 66}{}\NAME{name 67}{}\NAME{name 68}{}\NAME{name 69}{}\NAME{name 70}{}
\NAME{name 71}{}\NAME{name 72}{}\NAME{name 73}{}\NAME{name 74}{}\NAME{name 75}{}
\NAME{name 76}{}\NAME{name 77}{}\NAME{name 78}{}\NAME{name 79}{}\NAME{name 80}{}
\end

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 15:55:20 EST
From: bill@phys.anu.oz.au
Subject: Yet another LaTeX bug?

Their appears to be a systematic bug in LaTeX V2.09 style files whereby
\thesubsubsection is not being printed in a subsubsection heading and
the subsubsection line is completely missing from the table of contents.
I suspect that this is also present in the LaTeX manual itself. This bug
wouldn't be noticed very often because most people don't need to go to
the subsubsection level. Further similar problems occur at the paragraph and
subparagraph levels. The easy solution to this is as follows:
put the following before \begin{document}

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\c@secnumdepth}{9}
\renewcommand{\c@tocdepth}{9}
\makeatother

Bill Alford,                    ACSNet:bill@phys.anu.oz.au
SCU, RSPhySc,                   VAX PSI_MAIL:PSI%050526244003214::BILL
Australian National University,
GPO Box 4,
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 15:32:41 -0500
From: "Michael D. Sofka" <mike@morgana.pubserv.com>
Subject: Re: TeX bug in make_accent

>    $\delta={1\over2}(w-a)+h\cdot t-x\cdot s$.

	... some delted description ...

>  As t = s, couldn't this expression be simplified to:

The original expression is correct because t<>s.   That is, the accent
character and the character being accented do not have to be from the same
font.  This is almost always the case with math mode, and could be the
case in horizontal mode (e.g., "\^{\it u}" and "$\hat u$" are correct TeX
code, but both result in a roman circumflex being placed over an italic u).

The relevant code is in "do_assignments;" which best I can tell will expand
a control sequence including blocks (which can change the value of cur_font).

>  Or should we use the italic correction of the character instead of h*t?

Italic correction is added to the characters width (w) if \/ is called after
the character in horizontal mode (e.g., \^{u\/}) or in math mode if the
natural word spacing of the font (font parameter 2) is 0.  So, sometimes it
is used, sometimes it is not, but never by itself.

Michael D. Sofka                   INTERNET:  mike@pubserv.com
Publication Services, Inc.         ATTNET:    +1-217-398-2060
1802 South Duncan Rd.              FAX:       +1-217-398-3923
Champaign, IL 61821, USA.          LANSTAT:   40 05' 42'' N / 88 17' 31'' W

Date: Wed,29 Aug 90 23:29:47 BST
From: David_Rhead@vme.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Subject: LaTeX, BibTeX, Chicago Manual of Style

John Wooten (TeXhax V90, #57) asked whether anyone has developed a
bibliography style for LaTeX that follows the Chicago Manual of Style.

I did have a go last year at developing .bst files that deliver
bibliographies formatted in accordance with a compromise between
1.  The relevant British Standards, BS 1629, BS 6371 and BS 5605.
    [I used the 1976 edition of BS 1629.  There is now a 1989 edition.]
2.  Judith Butcher's book, "Copy-editing", published by
    Cambridge University Press.
3.  The Chicago Manual of Style.
Thus, the Chicago Manual of Style was one of the influences, but not the
major one.  (I have the impression that the above "authorities" are all
more important in mainstream publishing than Mary-Claire van Leunen who
seems to have been the main influence on the Scribe/LaTeX/BibTeX scheme.)
I derived my .bst files by hacking at existing .bst files, so the error
checking etc. reflects their history rather than what they should be doing.

I offered the .bst files (and some corresponding .sty files) to the Aston
archive earlier this year.  I don't know what the archivists' plans (if any)
are for them.

More importantly, during the course of this work, I concluded that if I had
time to do it again properly (which I don't), I would abandon the definitions
of "document types" and "fields" given in Appendix B of the LaTeX book
(and subsequently modified in Oren Patashnik's "BibTeXing") and adopt those
given by whatever standard (or compromise between standards) I was trying to
get the .bst file to conform to.  (I had an article to this effect published
in Malcolm Clark's "TeXline", May 1990.)

Thus, if you're aiming to help an end-user to conform to the conventions
of the Chicago Manual of Style, I think that the end-user will be best helped
by a document classification scheme that is the same as Chicago's and
by fields that are the same as Chicago's.  (It will be more work for you,
since you'll have to write an analogue of Appendix B of the LaTeX book
to describe the scheme and will have to write a .bst file that differs
radically from existing ones.  On the other hand, you can refer the reader
to Chapter 16 of Chicago for plenty of examples of how to use the scheme.)
Then, in borderline cases, the reference would come out as Chicago would
recommend.  (The distinction between the scheme in Appendix B of the LaTeX
book and that in Chicago doesn't matter much for straightforward references.)

For example:
*  Chicago lumps books, booklets, conference proceedings
   and manuals all together as "book".  You could probably get the number
   of entry types for "book" down to (say) @BOOK and @PARTOFBOOK
   which your end-user could interpret by reference to the relevant
   sections of Chicago.
*  Chicago lumps all theses, dissertations, etc. together.  You could
   have @DISSORTHESIS instead of @MASTERSTHESIS plus @PHDTHESIS.
*  Chicago distinguishes between various things that Appendix B of the
   LaTeX book would call @MISC or @UNPUBLISHED.  To reflect the Chicago
   scheme, you might have to have more entry types than there are in
   Appendix B, e.g. @PAPER, @DUPLICATED, @MANUSCRIPT, @USCONGRESS,
   @PUBLICDOC, etc.
Similarly, to reflect Chicago's terminology for fields, you might:
*  get rid of ADDRESS, preferring PLACEOFPUB (for things like books),
   LOCATION (for @MANUSCRIPT), ...
*  define various things like ISBN (not that Chicago mentions ISBN!),
   ANNOTATION, etc., since NOTE can't do the jobs of all such things.
In the short term, this would cause problems for people who have existing
 .bib files that use the scheme described in Appendix B of the LaTeX book.
But in the long term, it would reduce the number of tricks that the end-user
has to use to get wrongly classified things to look right.

If anyone knows of a postgraduate, working on the boundaries between
librarianship and computing, who wants a substantial project, perhaps
they might suggest a project to:
*  analyse the entry types and fields that are really required in a .bib file
*  implement a .bst file that takes such a .bib file and delivers
   bibliographies formatted as suggested by Chicago.

Of course Chicago is only one "authority".  If this hypothetical postgraduate
wanted to take account of ISO standards too, so much the better.  (I think
that looking at ISO would help to take account of current trends which
may be to make references to information from non-printed media, e.g.
television interviews.)  My guess is that this postgraduate could deduce
a classification scheme that worked not only for Chicago, but also for ISO
etc., so that .bib files prepared in accordance with the postgraduate's scheme
could be formatted by corresponding .bst files into the Chicago style,
implementations of ISO style, etc.  Thus, I would hope that this postgrad
could do an analogue of Appendix B of the LaTeX book that would not just
bear a one-to-one relationship to Chicago, but would bear a clear relationship
to other authorities, so that his/her scheme could be adopted as a
successor to that described in Appendix B (and the prospect of a variety
of rival successors to Appendix B could be avoided).

Again, I doubt whether the difference between the scheme given in Appendix
B of the LaTeX book and one produced by the hypothetical postgraduate
would matter much for straightforward things like books and journal-articles.
But a new scheme could provide better LaTeX/BibTeX support for humanities
people, people referring to non-printed sources, etc., and could make
it easier to guarantee adherance to instructions from publishing houses
even in obscure situations.

                                                                  David Rhead

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest