[comp.text.tex] Troff to TeX converters

gustav@tharr.UUCP (Paul Moore) (09/14/90)

I have recently seen stuff on the net about Troff-to-TeX converters, notably
something called tr2tex. Can anybody tell me where I can get hold of this?
I want to port to a new machine, so I'll need sources. Mailserver access would
be best - I don't have ftp.

Thanks,
Gustav

Note: E-Mail replies to pmoore@cix.compulink.co.uk rather than the above
address.

gralia@ddsdx2.jhuapl.edu (Mars Gralia x5509) (09/15/90)

	I, too, am interested in Troff-to-TeX (or, better, Troff-to-LaTeX)
converters.  So please post responses to net; don't just send them to Paul.

P.S.:  I've only rejoined the net recently, so if this is in an archive,
please point me there.

Reference:
In <980@tharr.UUCP> gustav@tharr.UUCP (Paul Moore) writes:

>I have recently seen stuff on the net about Troff-to-TeX converters, notably
>something called tr2tex. Can anybody tell me where I can get hold of this?
>I want to port to a new machine, so I'll need sources. Mailserver access would
>be best - I don't have ftp.

>Thanks,
>Gustav

>Note: E-Mail replies to pmoore@cix.compulink.co.uk rather than the above
>address.

mark@motown.altair.fr (Mark James) (09/19/90)

People have been asking about tr2tex, so here is the information that
I posted on it a couple of weeks ago.

* * *

TROFF-TO-LATEX.TAR-Z is available on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
(26.2.0.74) in directory pd2:<unix-c.textproc>.

This program, written by Kamal Al-Yahya at Stanford, assists in the
translation of a troff document into LaTeX format.  It recognizes most
-ms and -man macros, plus most eqn and some tbl preprocessor commands.
Anything fancier than that needs to be done by hand.  Two style files
are provided.  There is also a man page (which converts very well to
LaTeX :-).  The program is copyrighted but free.

* * *

If you don't have access to ftp, the following comes from Raymond
Chen's "Frequently Asked Questions" posting that appears on several
newsgroups once a month:

* * *

    To obtain a file from SIMTEL20 via email, send mail to an email
    server (e.g., listserv@vm1.nodak.edu or listserv@vm.ecs.rpi.edu) with
    no subject and containing the single line

        /PDGET MAIL PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>VGAIMG12.ARC UUENCODE

    for example.  Do not include a signature because it confuses
    the server.  No more than 100k or 3 files per day will be sent.
    For general instructions, send the message "GET PDGET HELP".

    BITNET users can also use send LISTSERV commands to LISTSERV@NDSUVM1
    or LISTSERV@RPIECS to accomplish the same thing.

    [...]

    If you don't even have email, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files are available
    for downloading on the Detroit Download Central network at 313-885-3956.
    It is not a free system but the hourly cost is only 17 cents.
    It's also accessible on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
    StarLink outdial.

* * *

Hope this helps.

--