[comp.text.tex] TeX for IBM PC

I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (09/18/90)

I'd like to put TeX on a few IBM PC 100% clones, ranging from Amstrad
8086 boxes up to 286 and 386 machines.  The output devices would be
mainly Epson 9 pin and 24 pin.  What are peoples' experiences with doing
this?  What are the preferred packages?  Where would I get them from?

Please mail any comments; I'll post a summary.

ian

I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (09/19/90)

Almost all the people who sent me mail suggested EmTeX.  It is regarded
as the best by people who have tried others, and is well-regarded by
those who have used nothing else.

Can anyone in the UK put it onto floppies for me?

ian

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (09/19/90)

In article <B+G%65^@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) writes:

>I'd like to put TeX on a few IBM PC 100% clones, ranging from Amstrad
>8086 boxes up to 286 and 386 machines.  The output devices would be
>mainly Epson 9 pin and 24 pin.  What are peoples' experiences with doing
>this?  What are the preferred packages?  Where would I get them from?

There's no question: for a complete, convenient TeX distribution for
DOS, emTeX is the winner.  sbTeX (and shortly sbMF) is a little faster,
but if you're installing on several machines and need DVI drivers too,
then emTeX has it all.

Send 6 1.2meg 5.25 formatted floppies to

Eberhard Mattes,
Teckstr. 81,
D-7141 M\"oglingen,
Germany,

together with 3 international postage coupons.  Send about the same again
if you would like Eberhard to supply fonts (name your printer).

emTeX is also available from various network sites, but it is large
enough that unless you are hard-wired into an ethernet or something,
you don't want to ftp it.

Dominik

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (09/19/90)

In article <B+G%65^@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) writes:

   I'd like to put TeX on a few IBM PC 100% clones, ranging from Amstrad
   8086 boxes up to 286 and 386 machines.  The output devices would be
   mainly Epson 9 pin and 24 pin.  What are peoples' experiences with doing

Eberhard Mattes' emTeX package will do exactly what you want out of
the `shrink wrapping'; ftp from Aston in the UK, or terminator in the
USA. It is excellent.

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) (09/20/90)

> Send 6 1.2meg 5.25 formatted floppies to
> [...me...]
> together with 3 international postage coupons.  Send about the same again
> if you would like Eberhard to supply fonts (name your printer).
Please send diskettes only as a last resort. And if you're somewhere
overseas (with regard to Europe; USA, Japan, Australia, for example),
you should include 1 extra international postage coupons per 60 gram
(0.06 kg) for air mail. If you asked me via e-mail, I could give
you the address of a kind person in your vicinity who already has
emTeX. In the US, you can get emTeX from John Radel.

--
       Eberhard Mattes   (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)

jonradel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jon Radel) (09/21/90)

In article <MATTES.90Sep20122352@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) writes:
>> Send 6 1.2meg 5.25 formatted floppies to
>emTeX. In the US, you can get emTeX from John Radel.

As some people have noted here already, I've not been good at returning
mail this summer.  I'm planning on getting a copy of emTeX v3 at long
last, issuing a new catalog, and answering all my paper mail within the
next 2 weeks.  People who have not gotten e-mail responses from me have
probably been using the address jonradel@bogey.princeton.edu or
jonradel@icecream.princeton.edu.  Neither of these machines exist
anymore, and you get nothing but cryptic error messages if you use those
addresses.  Please use the address below.

--Jon Radel
   ^-- note lack of "h"  :-)
jonradel@phoenix.princeton.edu