[comp.text.tex] Two reduced logical pages on a single physical page

shapiro@mars.inria.fr (Marc Shapiro) (09/21/90)

There was a discussion on this newslist recently about how to put two
logical tex/latex pages, reduced by 0.707, side-by-side on a single
physical page.
A few people posted PostScript hacks to to this.  I tried `multipr'
posted by
Ross Cartlidge <rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz>.  This works quite well, but
there is
a problem.  dvips sends a bitmap 300dpi font to the LaserWriter, which
is then
reduced using appropriate PostScript operations.  The result is in
interpolated
bitmap font, which doesn't look very good (some small letters are barely
readable).

Well, I happened to have at hand a set of 406dpi fonts (prepared for the
Agfa 3400PS).  I instructed dvips to use those instead of the normal
300dpi fonts, and shipped that to the laserwriter, along with the
`multipr'
commands.

Much to my surprise, the result is almost perfect.  I imagine the best
results will be achieved by using a 424dpi bitmap (because 300/0.707 =
424.26).
Anybody care to try?

--
						Marc Shapiro

INRIA, B.P. 105, 78153 Rocquencourt Cedex, France.  Tel.: +33 (1)
39-63-53-25;
fax: +33 (1) 39-63-53-30; e-mail: shapiro@sor.inria.fr

wsinpdb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep21.113022@mars.inria.fr> Marc Shapiro <shapiro@sor.inria.fr> writes:
?There was a discussion on this newslist recently about how to put two
?logical tex/latex pages, reduced by 0.707, side-by-side on a single
?physical page.
?...
?I imagine the best
?results will be achieved by using a 424dpi bitmap (because 300/0.707 =
?424.26).

Nope, the best results will be achieved by using a 212dpi bitmap
because 300 * 0.707 = 212.something
A 424dpi bitmap works reasonably well because scaling down a factor
of 2 isn't too hard. But metafont will still do a better job in generating
212dpi fonts than postscript will do in scaling a 424dpi font.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.113022@mars.inria.fr>, shapiro@mars.inria.fr (Marc Shapiro) writes...
>Well, I happened to have at hand a set of 406dpi fonts (prepared for the
>Agfa 3400PS).  I instructed dvips to use those instead of the normal
>300dpi fonts, and shipped that to the laserwriter, along with the
>`multipr'
>commands.

>Much to my surprise, the result is almost perfect.  I imagine the best
>results will be achieved by using a 424dpi bitmap (because 300/0.707 =
>424.26).
>Anybody care to try?

Actually, best results will be gotten with 212dpi fonts since
707 * 300 = 212.1. 424dpi will give decent results since we're
dealing with an even multiple of pixels in the scaling.

People dealing with nasty US paper will want to modify things so
that the scaling ratio is 5.5/8.5 rather than .707 (The US ratio
is .647 if you care). This calls for 194dpi fonts.

I like easy questions.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info