[comp.text.tex] Difficulties with LaserWriter printing postscript

rpg@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Robert Goldman) (09/22/90)

We have been having enormous problems with our laserwriter as a
printer connected to unix systems.  In particular, it is unable to
reliably print postscript generated from dvi.  Sometimes it succeeds,
more often it gets partway through the document and wedges.  It often
successfully prints and then prints the following page(s) (following
documents) with microscopic print size.

If any of you can help, please do write me.  I don't regularly read
these newsgroups, so an email response would be best.  I hope I have
not posted this to any inappropriate newsgroups.  If so, please accept
my apologies.

Robert Goldman

farrell@mcs.kent.edu (Paul A. Farrell) (09/22/90)

In article <4253@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, rpg@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Robert
Goldman) writes:

> We have been having enormous problems with our laserwriter as a
> printer connected to unix systems.  In particular, it is unable to
> reliably print postscript generated from dvi.  Sometimes it succeeds,
> more often it gets partway through the document and wedges.  It often
> successfully prints and then prints the following page(s) (following
> documents) with microscopic print size.

We have experienced  similar problems with our Laserjet IID with
postscript cartridge. In particular it sometimes prints in
microscopic mirror-image print  when we use dvi2ps to convert
the dvi to ps.  Is this  a known bug ?
We do not seem to have this problem when we use dvips.
Incidentally can dvips be made to function with the psfig package.

Paul A. Farrell				farrell@cs.kent.edu
Department of Mathematics & 		Phone: (216) 672-2931
   Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242, U.S.A.

ne201ph@prism.gatech.EDU (Halvorson,Peter J) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep22.105949.10794@mcs.kent.edu> farrell@mcs.kent.edu (Paul A. Farrell) writes:
>Incidentally can dvips be made to function with the psfig package.

>Paul A. Farrell				farrell@cs.kent.edu

At Georgia Tech, we're using dvips and psfig.  I've tried to preview
these files with ralpage, and had no success.  Is this a known problem?
Is there a good interface to a ps previewer? for multipage documents?
something that would allow the user to skip to a particular page?

              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program
    uucp:    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ne201ph
Internet: ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu  --   peter@fission.gatech.edu