[comp.text.tex] LaTeX figures - how to force position ?

belk@cernvax.UUCP (andrew belk) (09/24/90)

I have a document (report style) where I want the figures to appear with
the associated text. Unfortunately, I don't have enough text for LaTeX's
taste, and despite using \begin{figure}[h], it insists on gradually
placing them further and further nearer the end of the section as it goes.
Of course, I end up with them all at the end,

Does anyone know of a way to force the inclusion of the figure (I would
rather break the text across a page than have the figure appear on a later
(indeterminate) page ? I can use \clearpage but that is messy. Perhaps
\pagebreak{3 or 4} ?

Thanks,
		    Andy Belk

golding@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Andy Golding) (09/25/90)

In article <2814@cernvax.UUCP> belk@cernvax.UUCP (andrew belk) writes:
>I have a document (report style) where I want the figures to appear with
>the associated text. Unfortunately, I don't have enough text for LaTeX's
>taste, and despite using \begin{figure}[h], it insists on gradually
>placing them further and further nearer the end of the section as it goes.
>Of course, I end up with them all at the end,

It sounds like LaTeX is moving the figures to
avoid filling up "too much" of the page with figures
(rather than text).  To change its threshold, you can say

	\renewcommand{\topfraction}{0.40}

This makes it so that "floats" can occupy up to 40% of
the page at the top.  There is a corresponding
\bottomfraction parameter.

Andy