[comp.text.tex] LaTeX speller

avinoam@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Avinoam Kalma) (09/26/90)

Hi.
I am looking for a LaTeX speller (to avoid spelling MYSTEAKES).

Thank you

Avinoam Kalma

avinoam@shum.huji.ac.il.bitnet
avinoam@hujivms.bitnet

ne201ph@prism.gatech.EDU (Halvorson,Peter J) (09/26/90)

In article <351@shum.huji.ac.il> shum!avinoam@lilac.berkeley.edu (Avinoam Kalma) writes:
>I am looking for a LaTeX speller (to avoid spelling MYSTEAKES).
>
>Avinoam Kalma
>
>avinoam@shum.huji.ac.il.bitnet
>avinoam@hujivms.bitnet

ispell is a decent program, it runs on most unix systems.  VMS has a better
one, I forget the name, but I found it on the TeX distribution tapes DECUS
puts out.

I don't know of a good one for MSDOS, does anyone else?  Something that will
work with the tex or latex source and fix errors, not just produce a list of
words it thinks are not spelled correctly.

--
              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program
    uucp:    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ne201ph

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) (09/27/90)

In article <14152@hydra.gatech.EDU> ne201ph@prism.gatech.EDU (Halvorson,Peter J) writes:
>In article <351@shum.huji.ac.il> shum!avinoam@lilac.berkeley.edu (Avinoam Kalma) writes:
>>I am looking for a LaTeX speller (to avoid spelling MYSTEAKES).
>>
>ispell is a decent program, it runs on most unix systems.
>I don't know of a good one for MSDOS, does anyone else?
>              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program

I use Microspell in conjunction with MicroEmacs 3.10. Microspell comes
with a dictionary package. Basically you can either

i) Merge a file conatining TeX/LateX commands with the main
dictionary, hence skipping all correctly spelled (La)TeX commands

ii) As you check you LaTeX files, save the (La)TeX commands as an
auxiliary file and then merge this with the main dictionary or use a
command line switch to include the user supplied dictionary at
run-time.

The nice thing about Microspell is that it "pops" up Microemacs when
it has spell checked the document, then interactively asks you whether
you want to change the word or skip.

Disclaimer: Just a satisfied customer.

PS. Microspell is available from SIMTEL20 in the directory
PD1:<msdos.memacs> as SPELL*.ARC (*=EXE,SRC,DOC).

Jeff Racine             Tel (416)-656-2916
racine@nexus.yorku.ca
racine@yunexus.UUCP     /* Yo Mama */