Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 20:15:32 EDT
From: INHB000 <INHB%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Chemical diagrams, TeX, graphic specials

Has anyone made up a macro package for doing chemical diagrams?  Is
there any program for PC compatibles that mixes TeX and graphic specials
in the same was as can bve done on a Macintosh?

Michael Barr
inhb@mcgillb
inhb@musicb.mcgill.ca

Date: 13 Sep 90 18:27:00 EDT
From: "DARREN STALDER" <dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Subject: I haven't..Does anyone have something like this?

From:	GMUVAX::WINS%"<TPRUSA@SBCCVM.Stanford.EDU>" 13-SEP-1990 17:56:40.24
To:	DSTALDER

Hello,
      Quite awhile ago I heard about a LaTeX style file being developed
that would give LaTeX some of the technical formatting capabilities
of AMSTeX.... Can anyone there tell me where to obtain this style
file (if it was ever completed)?

                             thanks in advance, tom prusa

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 1990 16:24 PDT
From: Don Hosek <DHOSEK@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU>
Subject: Re: I haven't..Does anyone have something like this?

The AmSLaTeX package consists of a style option, amstex.sty, for
LaTeX that provides AmSTeX's math abilities to LaTeX users and a
couple of document styles for AMS publications.

Installation of the package requires also installing the
Mittelbach & Schoepf font selection software for LaTeX.

These files are available from e-math.ams.com (primary source)
and ymir.claremont.edu (secondary source for AmSLaTeX, primary
for Mittelbach & Schoepf macros) via FTP.

 -dh

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 13:11:14 EDT
From: "Lisa Ungar" <LUNGAR@IBM.COM>
Subject: \lefteqn inside eqnarray environment

		******

I've thought about this for a few days, and I'm not convinced that what
Lisa wants is possible within the LaTeX abstraction barrier (give me an
\halign to \hsize, and...).  Can anyone out there come up with a solution?

Thanks.

 -Rhu

		******

Dear LaTeX Helper,

Perhaps you can clear up my confusion with the above command.  On
page 50 in LaTeX A Document Preparation System User's Guide & Reference
Manual, it shows that \lefteqn is suppose move the equation from the
center to the left margin on the page.  If \lefteqn is not suppose to
be able to do this please explain what it does do.  I have enclosed
a sample document here.

\documentstyle[12pt]{article}

\begin{document}

\begin{eqnarray}
\lefteqn{G(N)= \sqrt{2 \pi N} e^{N(\frac{1}{\beta_1}-1)}
\frac{N^{m -1} \alpha_{1}^{N-m +1}}{(m - 1)!}
(1-\alpha_1)^{m-1} \prod_{i=1}^{m}A_i (\frac{r_i}{\alpha_1})}
\nonumber                         \\
& & \times \prod_{i=m+1}^{M} \frac{A_i (\frac{r_i}{\alpha_1})}
{1-\frac{\alpha_i}{\alpha_1} }
[1+O(N^{-1})]
\label{eq:gt1}
\end{eqnarray}

\end{document}

Thanks for help in advance,

Lisa

PS.  I was able to move the equation an inch to the left using the FLEQN style
option.  Is there a way to just move the first line to the left margin of the
page?

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 12:58:43 GMT
From: "T.Duttle" <SYSTMD%NMSUVM1@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Rotated TeX fonts for 3800-3

We would like to print TeX stuff on our 3800-3, rotated 90 degrees
to print on 8.5"h x 11"w paper, our standard form. We don't have any
trouble printing using the unrotated TeX fonts, but are having trouble
trying to create rotated fonts.
Is anyone else doing this? How did you get it to work?
Can we use FLSF to rotate the fonts?
We are running PSF/VM R3.0 and TeX R1.93 (from Maria Code DP Services)
on VM/XA SP 2.1. (We also run PSF/MVS, so any MVS solutions
would also be of interest.)

I am new to this list; my apologies if this has already
been covered before.

T. Duttle, NMSU

Date: Wed,  5 Sep 90 15:19:50 PDT
From: <terry@nls.com>
Subject: Request for VMS HP LJ Driver

A message in TeXhax digest V90-58 made the following request:

>Does anybody know where I can get (for a VAX/VMS environment) a DVI to
>Hewlett-Packard LaserJet II that can do either/both of
>
>1) Raster Graphics integration.
>
>2) Landscape Printing.
>
>I have been using Nelson Beebe's excellent DVIJEP, but I now need to do
>both of the above and DVIJEP can't do these.

The T2/jet program from Northlake Software includes both of the features
that are mentioned in this TeXhax request.  Raster Graphics in HP PCL
format are supported through the TeX \special command, and landscape
printing is supported with the /landscape command line qualifier.

T2/jet is one member of a family of TeX devices interfaces for VMS.
The other members are T2/script, for PostScript printers, T2/ln03, for
the ln03 printer, and T2/view, a TeX previewer for DECwindows.

T2/jet has the following features:

Fonts:
    -can use LaserJet built-in fonts and cartridge fonts
    -can use downloadable Soft Fonts converted to GF or PK format by XXtoXX
    -provides TFM files for LaserJet II fonts
    -includes same font set as TeX, with compiled fonts for LaserJet printers

Graphics:
    -HP PCL graphics and illustrations may be included in document
    -rotates graphics to match page orientation on LaserJet II,
     LaserJet IID, and LaserJet 2000

Paper handling:
    -can select letter, legal, ledger, A4, #10 envelope, and executive
     paper sizes
    -uses automatic duplexing on LaserJet IID and LaserJet 2000

Hardware and software requirements:
    -supports LaserJet II, LaserJet IID, LaserJet 2000, LaserJet Plus,
     LaserJet 500 Plus
    -complex documents may require additional printer memory
    -VMS or MicroVMS 4.6 to current
    -1,500 disk blocks for software; 3,000 blocks on system disk during
     installation
    -16,000 disk blocks for single font set (PK format)

If anyone has any questions or would like to receive a copy of our brochure
that describes T2/jet, and the other T2 products, please contact me at
Northlake Software.

Terry Bryll  (Bryll@NLS.COM)
Northlake Software
812 SW Washington, Suite 1100
Portland, OR  97205-3215
503-228-3383  Fax 503-228-5662

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 20:58 N
From: KNAPPEN%VKPMZD.Physik.Uni-Mainz.de@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Bug in TeX??? Strange things happening with entirely blank character

a strange thing happened to me while I used Leslie Lamport's testfont to
test the font eusm10 and eusb10. In position oct060 occured a {\tt x} and
a {\H} respectively during the \table test. These characters have nothing
to do with the tested fonts and look quite arbitrary to me.

A closer look using gftype proved that \char48 (=oct060) is an empty character.

The same thing happened to me while testing homemade fonts in which I left
positions free with an entirely blank character.

The character TeX choose to fill the place seems to be unpredictable, but
several runs gave the same ersatz character.

So what happens?

I'm working on a VAX under VMS5.3-1 and having
METAFONT 1.0, TeX 2.93, testfont has no version number or date specified.

J"org Knappen
Institut f"ur Kernphysik
Postfach 3980
D-6500 Mainz

BITNET: knappen@dmznat51

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 22:47 GMT+1
From: GAI-CENS-Politecnico-Torino <SILVANO%ITOPOLI.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON

Subject: Needed: psfig, VAX/VMS, DVIPS

reply does anybody know where I can find PSFIG and DVIPS for VAX/VMS ?

Silvano Gai

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 07:12 EDT
From: Ted Nieland <TNIELAND@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Announcing the 1990 DECUS TeX Collection

                              Announcing
                            DECUS TeX 1990

The  DECUS   Languages  and Tools SIG Public Domain  Working  Group  and the
Electronic Publishing SIG  TeX/LaTeX/WEB Working  Group  are proud to announce
the 1990 DECUS TeX  Collection. This collection offers nearly everything a TeX
User would  want  on their system for TeX.

The  master  tapes for the collection have been sent to DECUS   Library and to
the top of the DECUS LUG  distribution tree. The new  collection will be
available to all shortly through their channel for procuring DECUS   Software.

This  collection is an extensive rework of the previous collection with nearly
all of the material being updated  or new. More  DVI  drivers have been added
and  many  of the VMS programs  now sport a CLD   interface.

Also, an extensive effort on documentation  has taken place resulting in a
DECUS TeX Help Library.

The  following items are included in the DECUS  TeX  Collection 1990:

o  WEB   (Tangle 4.0 / Weave 4.1)
o  TeX  Version 3.0
o  METAFONT  Version 2.0
o  LaTeX  Macro  Package  2.09 <7 Dec 1989>  (with mod  for TeX  3.0)
o  SliTeX  Macro  Package 2.09 <7  Dec 1989>  (with mod  for TeX 3.0)
o  BibTeX  Version 0.99c
o  TeXsis Macro  Package  Version 2.13
o  DVIOUT    Version 1.2
o  DVIPS  for VMS,  Version 5.35
o  DVItoVDU    Version 3.2
o  DVItoLN03   Version 3.1-4
o  XDVI  (with support for DecWindows)
o  TeXx  (with support for DecWindows)
o  Vassar Spell Version 2.2
o  FWEB   (including support for VMs)
o  CWEB   (including support for VMS)
o  MWEB
o  TIB
o  CRUDETYPE
o  DVIDIS  (for VAXStations  Running  VWS)
o  GPLOT   4.23
o  RNOTOTEX
o  IDXTeX
o  GloTeX
o  DVIDVI
o  MAKEINDEX
o  PicTeX
o  TeXTYL
o  DVI2TTY
o  LSE  Templates for LaTeX  and  BibTeX
o  MFWARE     (GFtoPK,  GFtoPX,   etc)
o  PICMODE
o  TR2TEX
o  WS2LATEX
o  AmS-TeX    Macro  Package
o  AmS-LaTeX    Macro  Package
o  PHYZXX    Macro  Package
o  PHYSE   Macro  Package
o  ScriptTeX Macro  Package
o  MuTeX   Package (including METAFONT  files)
o  Clarkson LaTeX   & BibTeX   Style Collections
o  DECUS   TeX  Help Library
o  Beebe Utah  DVI  Driver Collection with additional submissions
o  DVI2PS
o  Many  Font Additions (Concrete, Duerer, Chess, DECUSLOGO, among  others)
o  Support  for Foreign Languages  including Dutch,  French, German,
   Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian,
   Spanish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
o  TeX  for the Amiga with some  DVI  Drivers and the LaTeX  Picture
   Editor (LPE)
o  TeX  for the Macintosh (OzTeX),  along with BibTeX,  and DVI  drivers.
o  TeX  for MS-DOS,  plus previewers and DVI  drivers.
o  Various TeXware  for UNIX,  including WEB2C   and  XTeX  (for DECStations).

The  following output devices are supported:

o  DEC  LN03  (requires a RAM   Cartridge) [DVITOLN03]
o  DEC  LN03  Plus (uses bitmaps) [DVIL3P]
o  DEC  LA75  [DVI175]
o  PostScript (LPS40, Apple LaserWriter, LN03S)  [DVIALW, DVIPS, DVIOUT, GTEX]
o  Hewlett Packard  Laserjet [DVIJET]
o  Hewlett Packard  Laserjet Plus [DVIJEP]
o  Cannon  Engine Laserprinter [DVICAN]
o  EPSON   Printer [DVIEPS]
o  Printronix Printer [DVIPRX]
o  Okidata Pacemark   2410 (72 or 144 DPI) [DVIOKI]
o  VT  terminals, ReGIS Terminals, Tektronix  Terminals [DVITOVDU]
o  VAXStations  running VWS   [DVIDIS]
o  DECWindows    [XDVI,  TeXX]
o  Version 3.10 BBN  BitGraph  Terminal [DVIBIT]
o  Golden Dawn   Golden Laser 100  printer [DVIGD]
o  Imagen imPRESS-language    laser printer family [DVIIMP]
o  Apple Imagewriter  72 or 144 dpi printers [DVIM72 or DVIMAC]
o  MPI  Sprinter 72 dpi printer [DVIMPI]
o  Toshiba P-1351 180  dpi printer [DVITOS]
o  Generic Output  [DVI2TTY]
o  QMS  Laser Printers [GTEX]

The  collection includes numerous example  files including A Gentle
Introduction to TeX by Micheal Doob and Essential LaTeX  by Jon Warbrick.

For  more information  on getting a copy  of the DECUS   TeX  Collection,
contact your DECUS    Local User Group  or the DECUS   Library at:

                     DECUS   Library (BP02)
                     219 Boston Post  Road
                    Marlboro, MA   01752-1850
                    (508) 480 3418/3659/3446

Date: Tue, 4 SEP 90 13:39:52 BST
From: TEX@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
Subject: Aston archive 00* listing files

wrote a year ago), I've made some changes to the 00*.* listing files
scattered around the archive.

ARCHIVE LISTINGS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the top of the archive you will now find the files:

    disk$tex:[tex-archive]00directory.list
    disk$tex:[tex-archive]00directory.size
    disk$tex:[tex-archive]00last7days.files
    disk$tex:[tex-archive]00last30days.files

Their contents are summarised briefly below:

    00directory.list	- all of the files in the archive grouped by
                          directory.

    00directory.size	- all of the files in the archive grouped by
                          directory.  The size and date of each files is
                          also listed.

    00last30days.files	- files in the archive which have been changed
                          in the last 30 days listed in descending date
                          order.  The date, size, contents and full
                          file specification is listed for each file in
			  '00files.txt' format (see below).

    00last7days.files	- files in the archive which have been changed
                          in the last 7 days listed in descending date
                          order.  The date, size, contents and full
                          file specification is listed for each file in
			  '00files.txt' format (see below).

NOTES:  With the exception of 00last7days.files (which didn't exist),
        these names used to begin with THREE zeros.  The old files will
        remain for a while but will not be updated.  The new files will
        be updated every day at about 0130 UK time (BST/GMT).

DIRECTORY LISTINGS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In every (non-empty) directory of the archive, you should find a file
called 00files.txt which lists all of the files in that directory in
descending date order.  The date, size, contents and full
file specification is listed for each file.  For example, here is the
00files.txt from the directory DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.AMSTEX]

> Files matching DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.AMSTEX]*.*
> listed in reverse time order (listing updated: 26-Aug-90 15:52).
>
> Last change         Size   Type  File specification
> 30-Apr-90 11:13         -  DIR   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]trip.dir
> 30-Apr-90 11:13         -  DIR   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]doc.dir
> 30-Apr-90 11:13         -  DIR   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amstex-style.dir
> 13-Jul-89 20:06     12110  BIN   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amstex.doc_z
> 13-Jul-89 20:05     10166  BIN   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amsppt.doc_z
> 13-Jul-89 20:05     30856  BIN   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amsman.tex_z
> 13-Jul-89 20:05      1296  BIN   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amsman.hdr_z
> 13-Jul-89 20:05      1014  BIN   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amsman.errata_z
> 14-Apr-86 21:32      1018  TXT   disk$tex:[tex-archive.amstex]amstex.chg

NOTES:  The size is in bytes (not VMS blocks).  The Type will be one of:

	    BIN -  binary file (use /ENCODE with the mail server)
	    DIR -  VMS directory (don't try to fetch these)
	    TXT -  ordinary text file

	The directory contents are checked every day, and the
        00FILES.TXT files updated only if something has changed in the
        directory.

The contents of 00LAST7DAYS.FILES and 00LAST30DAYS.FILES in the top
level directory are in this format, except that the first two lines are
slightly different:

> Files matching DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE...]*.*
> modified since 21-Aug-90 00:00 (listing updated: 27-Aug-90 01:49).
>
> Last change         Size   Type  File specification

If you find any problems, errors, or have any comments to make, please
direct them to me or <Archive-Group@Uk.Ac.Aston.Vaxa>.

    Niel Kempson
    Aston University TeX archive group

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ JANET:     tex@uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs                                     +
+ BITNET:    tex%uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs@ukacrl                              +
+ INTERNET:  tex%uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                  +
+ UUCP:      {mcvax,ukc,uunet}!rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk!tex                   +
+ Smail:     School of Electrical Engineering & Science, Royal Military   +
+            College of Science, Shrivenham, SWINDON SN6 8LA, U.K.        +
+ Phone:     Swindon (0793) 785687 (UK), +44-793-785687 (International)   +
%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest