[comp.text.tex] Double Columns

smith@zeus.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) (09/29/90)

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Sophisticated Double Columns
--text follows this line--
I should have heeded Don Hosek's reason #xx to read TUGboat (but did
not).  It was pointed out to me that the double column capability
described below was developed (for TeX) by some people at Physics
Reviews and described by them in TUGboat, vol. 10, no. 4, and that
this question appeared in the Q&A section of a recent TUGboat.
Several people asked me for double column macros in TeX, which I
placed in an entry to this group.  As it turns out, there is a much
better version of such macros: Karl Berry, through the Free Software
Foundation, has written an extended version of plain TeX called
eplain.  These macros (which, by the way, do not have the capability
mentioned below) are available from ics.uci.edu.  I highly recommend
them; I have always resented LaTeX because I dislike its restrictive
and uninteresting style, yet enjoy its conveniences, such as cross
referencing.  The eplain macros supply many of LaTeX's conveniences
without any of the restrictions.

Steven Smith

Solved:

karl@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Karl Berry) (10/02/90)

Steven Smith writes:

> Karl Berry, through the Free Software
> Foundation, has written an extended version of plain TeX called
> eplain.
and then goes on to recommend my macros -- thanks, Steve.

But just a clarification: the FSF didn't fund the development of eplain,
and they aren't distributing it, and they know nothing about it.  The
macros were written mostly by me, based largely on some stuff in the
TeXbook, for the book TeX for the Impatient.  (But the macros are public
domain and the documentation is copylefted.)

Anyway, enjoy.

karl@cs.umb.edu