[comp.text.tex] Help with Strange sort of Tabular environment

gabriele@riverdale.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele ) (09/22/90)

I am attempting to coerce LaTeX into drawing a 2-dimensional matrix
which has labels on the rows *and on the columns*.  The appearance
I wish to achieve is this:

                      /    /    /    /    /
                     /    /    /    /    /
                    /    /    /    /    /
                   /    /    /    /    /
                  /    /    /    /    /
                 ---------------------
     row 1 name  |    |    |    |    |
                 ---------------------
     row 2 name  |    |    |    |    |
                 ---------------------
     row 3 name  |    |    |    |    |
                 ---------------------

       ...etc.

Where the areas represented by "/" should actually be the text which
labels the columns.  The text should be ascending at an angle of
about 60 degrees elevation from the horizontal.  Can anyone suggest
a way to do this?  Thanks in advance.

=Mark (gabriele@hub.toronto.edu)

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (09/23/90)

In <1990Sep22.005907.5826@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> gabriele@riverdale.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele ) writes:
>Where the areas represented by "/" should actually be the text which
>labels the columns.  The text should be ascending at an angle of
>about 60 degrees elevation from the horizontal.  Can anyone suggest
>a way to do this?  Thanks in advance.

I have never seen any TeX document that had rotated text.  It sounds
like a lost cause to me.  Perhaps it would be possible if your TeX
supports embedded postscript, but then you probably won't be able to
position the text exactly, and you wouldn't be able to preview it very
easily.

It sounds like you should use a WYSIWYG type DTP program instead if you
want rotated text.  I think there is something on the Sun that is
WYSIWYG but outputs in TeX format... Maybe UofT has it somewhere?

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-438-2855
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen

dsmith@applga.aa.cad.slb.com (J. Daniel Smith) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep23.161653.11819@contact.uucp> ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) writes:
>In <1990Sep22.005907.5826@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> gabriele@riverdale.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele ) writes:
>>labels the columns.  The text should be ascending at an angle of
>>about 60 degrees elevation from the horizontal.  Can anyone suggest
>
>I have never seen any TeX document that had rotated text.  It sounds
A recent issue of the TUGboat has an article about generating rotated
fonts.  One of the examples is doing something just like this.  If you
don't belong to TUG, you should join.  Its not that expensive
(discounts for students) and the TUGboat is an invaluable resource, as
can be seen from this example.

Also, several DVI->PS drivers allow PostScript code to be included in a
DVI file.  The 'dvips' driver package includes some macros for
rotating TeX text using PostScript.

>It sounds like you should use a WYSIWYG type DTP program instead if you
I would never want to step down to a WYSIWYG package :-)

   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                     Internet: dsmith@applga.aa.cad.slb.com
Schlumberger CAD/CAM                  BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
Ann Arbor, Michigan                   Usenet: uunet!sharkey!applga!dsmith
                                       SINet: AAACA1::SMITH

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity,
but not necessarily in that order.