[comp.text.tex] bold greek letters?

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (10/02/90)

I would like to be able to set the \beta character in bold for a paper to
be published.  Can someone give me a hint about how to do it?  The secretary
tried $\bold \beta$, and TeX took it, but nothing was printed.  Do we just
need to create that font or is it a bigger problem?

Please reply quickly -- deadline is near.

email to :  rodney@ipl.rpi.edu

Thanks,
Rodney

--
Rodney

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (10/03/90)

In article <_AQ%?G=@rpi.edu> rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:

   I would like to be able to set the \beta character in bold for a paper to
   be published.  Can someone give me a hint about how to do it?  The secretary
   tried $\bold \beta$, and TeX took it, but nothing was printed.  Do we just
   need to create that font or is it a bigger problem?
if you look in (I think) lplain.tex, you find that \theta is
explicitly defined as coming from math family 1:
   \mathchardef\theta="0112
no amount of font changes will affect this. the \boldmath command
changes meaning of math family 1 to be a bold one. maybe someone out
there can tell us how to solve this in general? in the meanwhile, I
hack it by
  \mathchardef\btheta="0512
making \btheta produce a bold theta from math family 5, which I have
defined to be maths bold. Unfortunately, I use M & S font selection
macros, so I define the family with
 \newmathalphabet*\bfm{cmm}{b}{it}
which wont help you if you not a `font selection macro' person. its
also hacky, as it relies on me noticing that the bold math was
assigned to family 5. but it works in the short term

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

walter@hpsadle.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (10/04/90)

Our system has a cmmib10 font that should have a bold beta, you just
need to figure out how to install and use it.  Another approach is the
"poor man's bold" described in the TeX book.

jxp@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Joe Petrolito) (10/04/90)

In article <_AQ%?G=@rpi.edu>, rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
> I would like to be able to set the \beta character in bold for a paper to
> be published.  Can someone give me a hint about how to do it?  The secretary
> tried $\bold \beta$, and TeX took it, but nothing was printed.  Do we just
> need to create that font or is it a bigger problem?
Use the following:
\font\bg=cmbi10
\def\balpha{\hbox{\bg{\char'013}} % this defines a bold alpha - see p 430 of
%                                      Texbook for codes
Using the same procedure you can define other bold Greek that you need. Note
that they must be used in math mode eg $\balpha$ or $$\balpha$$.