[comp.text.tex] HELP: UNIX TeX distr. dvipage

oldam@calc.math.liu.se (Olof Damberg) (10/03/90)

When running dvipage from the new UNIX TeX distribution, something fishy
happens:
Dvipage loads the dvi file OK, and apparently finds all the fonts (pk120)
since it does not complain about missing fonts.

However, when I view the pages the first time around, the output is not
correct. There are a lot of missing glyphs, and it is looking very ugly.
Viewing the same page again, the output is suddenly correct.
All glyphs appear and everything is looking good.

Is there anyone out there who have seen this behaviour besides me ?
Or, have I missed something obvious ?

I would greatly appreciate any hints, fixes etc.

We have tested this dvipage on monochrome SUN3 and SUN4, compiled with cc
and gcc 1.37; No luck :-(

Olof Damberg                       | email: oldam@math.liu.se
Dept of Math, Linkoping University | phone: +46 13 281473
S-581 83  Linkoping, SWEDEN        | fax:   +46 13 100746

jmd@franklin.ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (10/04/90)

In article <OLDAM.90Oct2200445@calc.math.liu.se> oldam@calc.math.liu.se (Olof Damberg) writes:
>However, when I view the pages the first time around, the output is not
>correct. There are a lot of missing glyphs, and it is looking very ugly.
>Viewing the same page again, the output is suddenly correct.
>All glyphs appear and everything is looking good.

Can't say that I've got a fix to this, but we have the same problem here.
If anyone knows of a fix, I'd like to see it too.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|    Internet: jmd@ee.umr.edu     |  M S - D O S . . .  |
|    UUCP: ...uunet!umree!jmd     |    Just say "NO!"   |

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (10/06/90)

In article <1455@umriscc.isc.umr.edu>, jmd@franklin.ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) writes:
|> In article <OLDAM.90Oct2200445@calc.math.liu.se> oldam@calc.math.liu.se (Olof Damberg) writes:
|> >However, when I view the pages the first time around, the output is not
|> >correct. There are a lot of missing glyphs, and it is looking very ugly.
|> >Viewing the same page again, the output is suddenly correct.
|> >All glyphs appear and everything is looking good.
|>
|> Can't say that I've got a fix to this, but we have the same problem here.
|> If anyone knows of a fix, I'd like to see it too.

Well this isn't a fix, but the problem seems to go away when dvipage is
compiled under SunOS4.1.  Under SunOS4.0.3, the very same sources produce the
problem described above.  The problem is *not* with the Sun supplied libraries,
though, because a binary compiled under 4.0 when dynamically linked with
the 4.1 libs also exhibits the problem.  Conversely, if you have a 4.1 machine
somewhere, you may use it to generate all the .o files, and then do the
static linking on a 4.0 system (so the dynamic loader will not complain
about outdated shared libs later).  The resulting binary runs just fine
on 4.0 systems.

This points to either a compiler problem or buggy header files in 4.0.

--
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU