[comp.text.tex] I want indentation after a \section command

msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) (10/03/90)

Dear Experts,

The subject pretty much says it all.  The paper I'm writing must conform to
a strict style which happens to differ greatly from what LaTeX easily
produces.  To help me get what I need, I've defined a new section command
that: a) centers the section heading, b) renders it in bold-normal size,
and c) gives me back paragraph indent on the following text.  Unfortunately
the resulting indentation is larger than what occurs normally.  Is there a
better way to restore paragraph indent after new sections?

\newcommand{\newsec}[1]{\section*{\normalsize
 \bf \null \hfill #1 \hfill \null} \mbox{} \indent}

Thanks!
--
NAME:   Dr. M. Scott Dewey             TELE: (301) 975-4843
DIVISION: Quantum Metrology            INTERNET: msd@enh.nist.gov

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (10/03/90)

In article <0093D99C.7E11FCA0@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV> msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:

   produces.  To help me get what I need, I've defined a new section command
   that: a) centers the section heading, b) renders it in bold-normal size,
   \newcommand{\newsec}[1]{\section*{\normalsize
    \bf \null \hfill #1 \hfill \null} \mbox{} \indent}

you should, I am afraid, go further back into LaTeX and look at the
long and detailed explanation of the \start@section macro in
latex.tex, and define your new section heading type in those terms.
I'm not offering to quote you the solution, but indentation after a
heading is one of the things you can set

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (10/04/90)

MSD> The subject pretty much says it all.  The paper I'm writing must conform to
MSD> a strict style which happens to differ greatly from what LaTeX easily
MSD> produces.  To help me get what I need, I've defined a new section command
MSD> that: a) centers the section heading, b) renders it in bold-normal size,
MSD> and c) gives me back paragraph indent on the following text.  Unfortunately
MSD> the resulting indentation is larger than what occurs normally.  Is there a
MSD> better way to restore paragraph indent after new sections?

The proper way to do this is to write a new article-like style file (e.g.
by modifying copies of article.sty and art1[012].sty)

The definition of \section is in the art1[012].sty files, e.g. in
art10.sty:

\def\section{\@startsection {section}{1}{\z@}{-3.5ex plus -1ex minus
 -.2ex}{2.3ex plus .2ex}{\Large\bf}}
\def\subsection{\@startsection{subsection}{2}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus -1ex minus
 -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\large\bf}}
\def\subsubsection{\@startsection{subsubsection}{3}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus
-1ex minus -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\normalsize\bf}}

where latex.tex defines:

% \@startsection {NAME}{LEVEL}{INDENT}{BEFORESKIP}{AFTERSKIP}{STYLE}
%            optional * [ALTHEADING]{HEADING}
%    Generic command to start a section.
%    NAME       : e.g., 'subsection'
%    LEVEL      : a number, denoting depth of section -- e.g., chapter=1,
%                 section = 2, etc.
%    INDENT     : Indentation of heading from left margin
%    BEFORESKIP : Absolute value = skip to leave above the heading.
%                 If negative, then paragraph indent of text following
%                 heading is suppressed.
%    AFTERSKIP  : if positive, then skip to leave below heading, else
%                 negative of skip to leave to right of run-in heading.
%    STYLE      : commands to set style
%  If '*' missing, then increments the counter.  If it is present, then
%  there should be no [ALTHEADING] argument.
%  Uses the counter 'secnumdepth' whose value is the highest section
%  level that is to be numbered.
%

You can't do it in a style option file, because the art1[012].sty files are
read in AFTER the style options.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (10/05/90)

In article <3961@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
>You can't do it in a style option file, because the art1[012].sty files are
>read in AFTER the style options.
         ^^^^^
>--
>Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,

Whoa!  When I have a \documentstyle header like

\documentstyle[11pt,va,xref]{article}

The log file CLEARLY shows article.sty starting up, read in art11.sty
in ENTIRETY, article.sty finishing up, followed by va.sty and xref.sty:

This is TeX, Version 3.0 (preloaded format=lplain 90.8.8) 4 OCT 1990 13:05
**va
(./va.tex
LaTeX Version 2.09 <7 Dec 1989>
(/usr/local/lib/tex/styles/article.sty
Document Style `article' <16 Mar 88>.
(/usr/local/lib/tex/styles/art11.sty)
)
(./va.sty
\sfigskip=\skip41
\sfigadjp=\skip42
) (./xref.sty) (./va.aux

... etc
--

dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu (David M. Jones) (10/05/90)

The following tirade is offered in a spirit of gentle rebuke, and is
meant to encourage a more user-friendly attitude in this group.  No
offense is intended toward either of the people whom I quote.

I think there's a valuable lesson in humility in the following two
that doesn't suppress the indentation of the following paragraph.

First, in article <SPQR.90Oct3114242@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk>,

Then, in article <3961@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, Piet van Oostrum said:

>The proper way to do this is to write a new article-like style file (e.g.
>by modifying copies of article.sty and art1[012].sty)
[...]
>You can't do it in a style option file, because the art1[012].sty files are
>read in AFTER the style options.

Both of these, of course, are wrong.  The command is \@startsection,
not \start@section and, as Areh Weiss has already pointed out, the
art1[012].sty files are read in _before_ any others.

The lesson?  Don't be so quick to pontificate, especially when
answering off the cuff without checking your answers first.  Granted,
neither of these errors was particularly dreadful, but I was more than
a little annoyed by the tone of Mr. Rahtz's reply, which I found
somewhat patronizing.

It's frustrating enough to be learning your way around LaTeX's
internals for the first time without having the experts give
misleading information because they don't take the few seconds
necessary to check their memories.
David M. Jones                              |"The earth's a prison -- one can't
17 Simpson Ave #1; Somerville, MA 02144     | get away from it.... I'm still
ARPANET: dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu         | too young to lack desires, Not
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!dmjones      | young enough now for mere play."

des@frogland.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct5.005941.7173@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu (David M. Jones) writes:
|> The following tirade is offered in a spirit of gentle rebuke, and is
|> meant to encourage a more user-friendly attitude in this group.  No
|> offense is intended toward either of the people whom I quote.

-- ditto --

[discussion about two answers to a question that were not entirely
 correct]

|> The lesson?  Don't be so quick to pontificate, especially when
|> answering off the cuff without checking your answers first.  Granted,
|> neither of these errors was particularly dreadful, but I was more than
|> a little annoyed by the tone of Mr. Rahtz's reply, which I found
|> somewhat patronizing.

at the same time remember that it isn't their/our job to answer questions
about LaTeX in this group. If you expect carefully checked and tested
solutions to your problems then your site should be employing someone
to support LaTeX (either internally or via someone who sells TeX +
support). You should be quite pleased that someone, out of the goodness
of their heart, points you in the right direction if you post a
problem here as you've no right to expect anything.

david shepherd: des@inmos.co.uk or des@inmos.com    tel: 0454-616616 x 529
                inmos ltd, 1000 aztec west, almondsbury, bristol, bs12 4sq
                phevbfvgl xvyyrq gur png

dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu (David M. Jones) (10/06/90)

In article <11639@ganymede.inmos.co.uk>, des@frogland (David Shepherd) writes:

>at the same time remember that it isn't their/our job to answer questions
>about LaTeX in this group. If you expect carefully checked and tested
>solutions to your problems then your site should be employing someone
>to support LaTeX (either internally or via someone who sells TeX +
>support). You should be quite pleased that someone, out of the goodness
>of their heart, points you in the right direction if you post a
>problem here as you've no right to expect anything.

I certainly agree with most of this.  However, I don't think anyone
should be expected to be too grateful for a wrong answer, especially
when the answer is trivially wrong, but quite misleading.

I'm no LaTeX wizard, but I do know enough to be helpful once in a
while.  I don't feel that this obligates me to answer any given
question that I read on the net.  However, when I do choose to answer
a question, I do feel some obligation to make sure that my answer is
correct and as helpful as possible.  If it isn't, then I'm wasting my
time and the time of the person I'm responding to, and am also running
the risk of increasing his/her frustration. I'm not comfortable with
the "shooting from the hip" style of reply, because it leads to
precisely the sort of slightly incorrect answers that I quoted
earlier.

By the way, let me repeat that I meant no personal offense to either
Rahtz or van Oostrum.  I've generally found their articles to be quite
helpful and authoritative.  In fact, I'd like to take this chance to
thank Piet for the diffs he sent me a few weeks back to make
letter.sty work with Mittelbach and Sch\"opf's font selection scheme.
I installed them and they've worked beautifully.  (Time constraints
prevented me from acknowledging his reply then.)

It is perhaps true that my rantings should be taken with a megadose of
salt.  Having recently completed a Local Guide to LaTeX for our
system, I'm rather sensitive right now to the issues of documentation
and the proper way to respond to questions.
David M. Jones                          |"I've just come across a fascinating
17 Simpson Ave #1; Somerville, MA 02144 | piece in the Times. Concerns the
ARPANET: dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu     | effects of lack of sleep among
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!dmjones  | the marginally sane."

kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) (10/06/90)

In article <0093D99C.7E11FCA0@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV> msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:
>Dear Experts,
>
>The subject pretty much says it all.
  [ stuff deleted ]
>--
>NAME:   Dr. M. Scott Dewey             TELE: (301) 975-4843
>DIVISION: Quantum Metrology            INTERNET: msd@enh.nist.gov
>USMAIL: NIST (formerly NBS)            BITNET: msd@nbsenh
>        Rm. A-141, Bldg. 221
>        Gaithersburg, MD  20899

I am not an expert, but in a posting some months ago, Denys Duchier
(duchier-denys@cs.yale.edu) suggested saying \leavevmode\indent after the
section command and before the first paragraph.  This has worked fine for
me (although I know it is mixing TeX and LaTeX together).

Bill Kath ----------------------- kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
             Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
   A Guest of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
McCormick School of Engineering,  Northwestern University