[comp.text.tex] TeX to ascii conversion

shallit@water.waterloo.edu (Jeffrey Shallit) (10/09/90)

I need a program to convert TeX code to an ordinary ascii file.  Obviously
the requirements are a bit underspecified.  What I have in mind is something
that can handle things like \centerline and \noindent "properly", and
do intelligent things to other TeX commands, so I can easily take
a colloquium announcement (say) written in TeX and make it readable
on e-mail to the non-TeX-speakers.

For example, if the input were

\centerline{Analytic and Algebraic Topology of Futharks}

\noindent{\it Abstract.}

	 We prove that $1 + 1 = 2$.

I'd like the output to be:

                Analytic and Algebraic Topology of Futharks

Abstract.

	 We prove that 1 + 1 = 2.

Yes, I could write it myself, but why reinvent the wheel?  If you know
of such a program, please send mail to me -- I don't usually read this
group.

Jeff Shallit
shallit@water.waterloo.edu

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct9.014055.9719@water.waterloo.edu> shallit@water.waterloo.edu (Jeffrey Shallit) writes:
>I need a program to convert TeX code to an ordinary ascii file.  Obviously
>the requirements are a bit underspecified.  What I have in mind is something
>that can handle things like \centerline and \noindent "properly", and
>do intelligent things to other TeX commands, so I can easily take
>a colloquium announcement (say) written in TeX and make it readable
>on e-mail to the non-TeX-speakers.
>
>Jeff Shallit
>shallit@water.waterloo.edu

How about using DVITTY? Simply redirect output to a file. For example,

dvitty foo.tex > foo.txt

will do the trick.

Jeff Racine             Tel (416)-656-2916
racine@nexus.yorku.ca
racine@yunexus.UUCP     /* Yo Mama */