[comp.text.tex] Beginners questions --- please help!!

vober@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (10/11/90)

Could someone answer these rookie questions for me?  I'm new to TeX and
do not understand many of the concepts.  I've ftp'd parts of the emTeX
package and am not sure if I need all the files or not.

1)  What is a .pk file, and how is it different from .tfm files?

2)  What is a .fli file and how does it differ from .pk and .tfm files?

3)  I will want to print on an IBM graphics printer (dot matrix) for draft
purposes, and for final copies I will want to print out to a postscript
printer.  I understand that the dvidrv files im emTeX should do the job,
but do they require .pk and .fli files to do the trick?

4)  Sometimes I get an error message from TeX stating "Metric font file
not found", or something like that.  Is it looking for .pk or .fli files?

5)  What's the difference betwen TeX, Latex, and Metafont.  Which would
be easier for a beginner to use?

Many thanks for your patience.  Your help is truly needed.

Jim Vober

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (10/11/90)

vober@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>Could someone answer these rookie questions for me?  I'm new to TeX and
>do not understand many of the concepts.  I've ftp'd parts of the emTeX
>package and am not sure if I need all the files or not.

>1)  What is a .pk file, and how is it different from .tfm files?
PK stands for PacKed format. It is a format for bitmaps, and it
is needed only by screen/printer driver programs, not by TeX.
TFM stands for TeX Font Metrics, and it gives the size descriptions
of the fonts, but no shape descriptions. As a character is a box to
TeX, these files are needed by TeX, but it would surprise me
if a screen/printer driver would find any use for them, as all
information is also included in the PK file.

>2)  What is a .fli file and how does it differ from .pk and .tfm files?
FLI is not a standard TeX format. It must be an invention of the
maker of the emTeX package. Sorry, dunno this one.

>4)  Sometimes I get an error message from TeX stating "Metric font file
>not found", or something like that.  Is it looking for .pk or .fli files?
I'd guess it was looking for a .tfm file, but lacking the knowledge
of what an .fli is...

>5)  What's the difference betwen TeX, Latex, and Metafont.  Which would
>be easier for a beginner to use?
TeX is a program that can load a format. Usually there are two
formats included in a package: plain.fmt and lplain.fmt.
The first one stands for the PLAIN format, the second one
for LATEX. If you call
   tex &lplain
you get LaTeX,
calling
   tex
is equivalent to
   tex &plain
So it's not a matter of TeX or LaTeX, but *plain* TeX or LaTeX.
People who say the former really haven't understood matters
properly. You can write your own format, but considering you're
a rookie I suggest that you'd wait with that for a few years.
Metafont is a program to generate letters. It is not an alternative
to plain TeX or LaTeX.

Plain TeX or LaTeX? Depends. If you only want to start writing
articles I'd suggest LaTeX. Saves you a lot of learning and
frustration. But if you are going to do more text processing than
just scientific articles (or a book or a thesis), I'd invest
some time in learning the whole of TeX, and starting with
plain TeX, and then writing your own macros. But don't
do this if you want to have your thesis printed one month from
now!

>Jim Vober

Victor.