[comp.text.tex] Problem building TeX 3.0 under SunOS 4.03 - SOLUTION

cnbs06@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Bruce Rodger.) (10/10/90)

About a week ago, I posted an article detailing problems I was having building
TeX3.0 from the distribution tape on a sun 3-80.

The problems were oversized case statements in gftodvi.c and vftovp.c, causing
yacc stack overflows when compiled with cc.

The solution was actually in the make.history file - split up the case
statement.

alternatively, use gcc rather than cc

Thanks to all who replied

Bruce.

R.B. Rodger           |JANET:   R.B.Rodger@uk.ac.strath.vaxa
OptoElectronics Group |Internet:R.B.Rodger%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Elec. Eng. Dept       |BITNET:  R.B.Rodger%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@UKACRL
Strathclyde University|UUCP:    R.B.Rodger%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Glasgow G1 1XW        |
Scotland.             |

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.162558.2019@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cnbs06@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Bruce Rodger.) writes:
>About a week ago, I posted an article detailing problems I was having building
>TeX3.0 from the distribution tape on a sun 3-80.
>
>The problems were oversized case statements in gftodvi.c and vftovp.c, causing
>yacc stack overflows when compiled with cc.

I've just compiled TeX3.0 on our Suns with SunOS4.0.3. When getting
the stack overflow I tried it on another machine running SunOS4.1.
The SunOS4.1 compiler could handle the large case statements.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve