[comp.text.tex] UKTeX V90 #35

S.P.Q.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (10/12/90)

UKTeX Digest	Friday, 12 Oct 1990
		Volume 90 : Issue 35

Today's Topics:
       RE: Fundamental tendencies of LaTeX sectioning commands
	     TeX 3.0 on the HP9000/300 workstation family
			 non-centred displays
		   Correction to MF [VMS PD V2.1c]
	       Re: 2-Up output with PostScript & dvips
       Help needed for fonts (I told him I forwarded this here)
			 archive submissions

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator:       Peter Abbott
Editor:          David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
                 <d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.clan>
Submissions:     uktex@uk.ac.aston
Administration:  uktex-request@uk.ac.aston

Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.UKTEX.90]
Latest TeXhax:    #64
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEXHAX.90]
Latest TeXmag:    V4 N4
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEX-MAG]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 01 Oct 90 18:10:12 +0000
Subject: RE: Fundamental tendencies of LaTeX sectioning commands

> Does anybody out there know what the exact circumstances are under which  LaT
eX
> will put a section heading at the BOTTOM of a page, contrary to normal custom
?

I assume you mean with not even one line of text.
This can happen if you do things such as:

\section{...}
\begin{itemize}
\item
\label{...}

If you have a \marginpar in the first line of the text in the section
then this can be the last line of the page.

There are probbaly some other circumstances: when did it happen to
you?

chris

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 08 Oct 90 14:31:48 -0000
>From:    PFS@UK.AC.ABERDEEN.KC
Subject: TeX 3.0 on the HP9000/300 workstation family

I have some useful information for those people in the TeX world who use HP
workstations and wish to compile a working TeX using the latest web (5.0b) and
web2c (5.0e) releases. Below is a summary:

*****************************

Compiling TeX 3.0 on an HP 9000/300
- - -----------------------------------

Hardware: HP9000/370
Operating System: HP-UX 7.0
Compiler: cc (built in)

TeX 3.0
Metafont 2.0
web   version 5.0b
web2c version 5.0e

The following points should be noted so that the latest distribution of TeX
will compile successfully on an HP9000/300 series workstation. (See also the
file MACHINES in the latest distribution of web2c.)

 1. Define SYSV and HP in the Makefile, NOT BSD as is suggested there. Also,
    set OPT=-O +Nw500

 2. web2cy.c, web2cl.c and web2c.c do not compile with -O selected.  Compile
    without optimisation.

 3. Line 331 in common/extra.c has an error. It should read for HP (and
    others?):

	extern char *getcwd ();

 4. Join lines 1902-1904 in mf2.c and 1585-1587 in mf4.c otherwise compilation
    will fail.

 5. mf9.c will not compile with -O selected. Compile without optimisation.

 6. gftodvi.c and vptovf.c do not compile with -O selected. Compile without
    optimisation.

*****************************

Apart from this everything works fine. I have passed on this info to Karl Berry
so that it is corrected/included in the next version of web2c.

Philip Smith

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 08 Oct 90 15:47:20 +0100
>From:    N.CHAPMAN@UK.AC.UCL.CS
Subject: non-centred displays

the answer to exercise 19.4 in the texbook tells you how to get
displayed math material set on an indent instead of centred, and
somewhere in the appendices it tells you how to get equation numbers
with such displays.  this leaves the problem of \eqalign and \eqalignno.
the last time i looked at this i decided there was nothing clever you
could do with \everydisplay and it was necessary to rewrite \eqalign,
\eqalignno and \displaylines in order to produce a consistent style.
since i didn't understand all the code, i gave up at this point.

i am presently looking at some centred equations, which frankly look
awful, so i was womdering whether anyone out there has already tackled
this job -- or indeed {\it does\/} know of some \everydisplay magic that
could do it instead.

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 08 Oct 90 16:00:11 -0000
>From:    MARTIN.WARD@UK.AC.DURHAM

Is this a bug in enumerate or the ifthen.sty file?
The \S command is so I can type \S{} for a bold S, \S' for S'
and \S1 for S_1 etc. both inside and outside math mode.

\documentstyle[ifthen]{article}
\def\S{\boldsub{S}}
\def\boldvar#1{{\hbox{\bf #1}}}
\def\boldsub#1#2%
    {\ifthenelse{\equal{#2}{}}%
      {\boldvar{#1}}
      {\ifthenelse{\equal{#2}{'}}%
	{\ifmmode\boldvar{#1}'\else$\boldvar{#1}'$\fi}
	{\ifmmode\boldvar{#1}_{#2}\else$\boldvar{#1}_{#2}$\fi}}}
\begin{document}
Consider the following cases: \\
This puts the S in the wrong place:
\begin{enumerate}
	\item \S{} is primative\dots
	\item \S{} is complicated\dots
\end{enumerate}
This does the right thing:
\begin{enumerate}
	\item \mbox{} \S{} is primative\dots
	\item \mbox{} \S{} is complicated\dots
\end{enumerate}
What is going on here?
\end{document}

My ifthen.sty is dated: 28 October 1986
My latex.tex  is dated: <8 Feb 1990>

			Martin.

JANET: Martin.Ward@uk.ac.durham    Internet (eg US): Martin.Ward@DURHAM.AC.UK
or if that fails:  Martin.Ward%uk.ac.durham@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk
or even: Martin.Ward%DURHAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
BITNET: IN%"Martin.Ward@DURHAM.AC.UK" UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!durham!Martin.Ward

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 08 Oct 90 19:42:30 -0000
>From:    TEX@UK.AC.CRANFIELD.RMCS
Subject: Correction to MF [VMS PD V2.1c]

The previously announced version of METAFONT for VMS [PD V2.1c] has a
bug which will cause an access violation unless one has a supported
graphics device; even specifying /NODISPLAY doesn't prevent the error.

The MF.CH file in the Aston Archive
   ([TEX-ARCHIVE.METAFONT.MFDIR.V2.VMS]MF.CH)
has been corrected, and is now at [VMS PD V2.1d]

                               Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ JANET:     tex@uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs                                     +
+ BITNET:    tex%uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs@ac.uk                               +
+ INTERNET:  tex%uk.ac.cranfield.rmcs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                  +
+ UUCP:      ...!mcvax!rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk!tex                           +
+         OR ...!ukc!rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk!tex                             +
+ Smail:     School of Electrical Engineering & Science, Royal Military   +
+            College of Science, Shrivenham, SWINDON SN6 8LA, U.K.        +
+ Phone:     Swindon (0793) 785252 (UK), +44-793-785252 (International)   +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- ------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 09 Oct 90 09:49:30 -0000
Subject: Re: 2-Up output with PostScript & dvips

In article <1898.9010010914@cameron.ecs.soton.ac.uk> spqr writes:
> Date:    Wed, 19 Sep 90 15:58:28 -0000
> >From:    S.P.Q.RAHTZ@UK.AC.SOUTHAMPTON.ECS
> Subject: Re: 2-Up output with PostScrip & dvips
>
> TIM@UK.AC.EDINBURGH.CSTR writes:
>  > For draft mode output it's quite nice to print 2 pages, in `landscape'
>  > format, per page on a PostScript printer.  We have a utility,
>  > `halfps', which does this, and which is I think common.
> halfps is a new one on me; I have used `mpage' and `up', and currently
> use multi.ps. These things seem to proferate every year.
>
>  > So all that's needed is some PostScript to stick 2 pages on each page
>  > & translate one appropriately.  dvips will call bop-hook & eop-hook if
>  > they're defined, so I reckon it should be easy to do this.
> the `up' utility does a good job of this. the difficulty is that it is
> written in Perl, so if you dont have that you are stuck. It is a
> filter which will apply any transformations you care to define to your
> pages; I have used it in an analogous manner to print `3up' pages to
> create a folding leaflet. I use PostScript fonts which scale by
> themselves anyway, but I can see why you want the effect.
>
> You might find some of what what you want from this set of definitions
> I hacked from `up' which you might be able to mix in with bop-hook and
> eop-hook. I'm not volunteering, tho. You should also carefully examine
> `multi.ps' for a model (in the Aston archive)

I have created generic N-up header and configuration files for use with dvips;
they are designed to work even if the file is being printed on a small
printer, and is divided into font downloading sections. They will also not
interfere with other bop/eop hooks. Unfortunately, they use some small
enhancements which I have done to dvips, but I could create versions for use
with vanilla dvips if there is any demand. (I am trying to get Tom to
incorporate my enhancements into dvips, but I've had only limited success so
far---you'll have to wait for dvips 5.5 for similar facilities.)

Angus.
==
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			|
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,		| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| OR:  ajcd%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

- ------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 Oct 90 01:57:00 +0000
Subject: Help needed for fonts (I told him I forwarded this here)

>From:   IN%"UKME997@CMS.ULCC.AC.UK"  "gw" 10-OCT-1990 18:28:59.95
To:     Multiple recipients of <RED-UG@DB0FUB11.BITNET>
CC:
Subj:   Font creation on PC

Hi there
        Does anyone out there know of a good program for creating fonts on
the PC? If it is compatible with any of the Mac programs (Fontographer or
Fontastic) then all the better. Commercial/ Shareware or otherwise.
Thanks for your time
Geoff Williams, School of Oriental and African Studies
London
ukme997@ulcc.cms

- ------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 Oct 90 14:24:00 +0000
>From:    FX@UK.AC.DARESBURY.NNGA
Subject: archive submissions

Would the archive group like to make a statement about what sort of
items they want or specifically don't want people to donate to the
archive (if there is any policy) and also what the approved method of
submitting things is?  I don't recall ever seeing anything to that
effect.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! UK TeX ARCHIVE at ASTON UNIVERSITY:
!!
!!  Files of interest
!!      [tex-archive]000aston.readme           [tex-archive]000directory.list
!!      [tex-archive]000directory_dates.list   [tex-archive]000directory.size
!!      [tex-archive]000last30days.files
!!
!!  FTP access: site               uk.ac.aston.tex
!!              username           public
!!              password           public
!!
!! Washington TeX tape distribution:
!! The latest tape is labelled
!!
!!   TeX 3.0, Metafont 2.0,LaTeX 2.09;
!!   utilityfonts,cmfonts,LaTeXfonts,amsfonts.
!!   Unix 4.2/3BSD, Sys V.
!!   Tar, 1600bpi, blocked 20, 1 file
!!
!! I have the facility to copy this tape for anyone who sends the following
!! 1 2400 tape with return labels AND RETURN postage. (2.50 pounds sterling
!! for UK users, payable to `Aston University') Outside UK please ask me.
!! UK users send 4.25 for two tapes or 6.60 for three tapes.
!! Send to
!!
!! P Abbott
!! Computing Service
!! Aston University
!! Aston Triangle
!! Birmingham B4 7ET
!!
!! A VMS backup of the archive requires 2 (two ) 2400' tapes at 6250bpi.
!! Remaining details as above.
!!
!! A VMS backup of TeX 2.991 plus PSprint is available; one tape is needed.
!!
!! Exabyte tape drive with Video 8 cassettes:
!!   Same formats available as 1/2in tapes.  We use the following tapes
!!     SONY Video 8 cassette  P5 90MP, MAXCELL Video 8 cassette P5-90
!!     TDK Video 8 cassette P5-90MPB
!! Postage 35p UK (stamp please), 1 pound sterling Europe, other areas 2 pounds
!!
!! OzTeX - Send 10 UNFORMATTED (800k) disks with return postage.
!!
!! ---Peter Abbott.

End of UKTeX Digest