Date: Mon, 8 Oct 90 16:00:33 BST
From: Martin Ward <Martin.Ward%durham.ac.uk@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Is this a bug in enumerate or the ifthen.sty file?

Is this a bug in enumerate or the ifthen.sty file?
The \S command is so I can type \S{} for a bold S, \S' for S'
and \S1 for S_1 etc. both inside and outside math mode.

\documentstyle[ifthen]{article}
\def\S{\boldsub{S}}
\def\boldvar#1{{\hbox{\bf #1}}}
\def\boldsub#1#2%
    $\ifthenelse{\equal{#2}{}}%
      {\boldvar{#1}}
      $\ifthenelse{\equal{#2}{'}}%
	$\ifmmode\boldvar{#1}'\else{\boldvar{#1}'{\fi}}
	$\ifmmode\boldvar{#1}_{#2}\else{\boldvar{#1}_{#2}{\fi}}}
\begin{document}
Consider the following cases: \\
This puts the S in the wrong place:
\begin{enumerate}
	\item \S{} is primative\dots
	\item \S{} is complicated\dots
\end{enumerate}
This does the right thing:
\beginenumerate}
	\item \mbox{} \S{} is primative\dots
	\item \mbox{} \S{} is complicated\dots
\end{enumerate}
What is going on here?
\end{document}

My ifthen.sty is dated: 28 October 1986
My latex.tex  is dated: <8 Feb 1990>

			Martin.

JANET: Martin.Ward@uk.ac.durham    Internet (eg US): Martin.Ward@DURHAM.AC.UK
or if that fails:  Martin.Ward%uk.ac.durham@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk
or even: Martin.Ward%DURHAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
BITNET: IN%"Martin.Ward@DURHAM.AC.UK" UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!durham!Martin.Ward

Date:     Sun, 7 Oct 90  18:39 BST
From: Karl Glazebrook at Royal Observatory Edinburgh <KGB@STARLINK.ROE.AC.UK>
Subject:  \topinsert and \headline

Can anyone tell me how I can set things up so that pages containing
\pageinsert 's (and not \topinsert 's) will have a different \headline
from other pages?

At the moment I'm using a crude solution which involves storing page
numbers *+ in registers. This goes wrong occasionally because of TeX's
clever page breaking mechanism. Is there an elegant solution? I need
this for my thesis.

| Karl Glazebrook,    |    JANET:    KGB @ UK.AC.ROE.STAR                      |
| Dept. of Astronomy, | INTERNET:    KGB % STAR.ROE.AC.UK @ NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK |
| Univ. of Edinburgh, |     SPAN:    19463::REVAD::KGB                         |
| Royal Observatory,  |     IPSS:    PSI%23423130012155::KGB                   |
| Blackford Hill,     |                                                        |
| Edinburgh EH9 3HJ,  |      Tel:    44 (UK code) 31-668-8411                  |
| UK.                 |                                                        |

Date:    Thu, 04 Oct 90 14:38 CET
From: "Andr{ HECK/Strasbourg Obs."U01105%FRCCSC21.BITNET@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Help needed for voluminous indexing in TeX on PCs

For several years now, we have been making available to the astronomical
community at large directories of astronomical organizations and of
related entries of interest. These compilations included extensive
indices with three levels of indexation. This was carried out with
Script on a IBM mainframe computer.

To improve the general layout of the directories, we decided to switch
to TeX, but we could not find the same indexation power in TeX nor in
LaTeX. Unless we are wrong, the 'index' command does not allow a multi-
level indexation and requires moreover a 'manual' intervention to get
rid of the multiple occurences under the same references, all this after
sorting through an independent routine.

To give an idea of the volumes, we are talking here of more than 6000
directory entries producing several thousands of references leading to
an index covering about 200 pages on two columns (in the Script
version).

We are looking for a performant package that could be plugged into TeX
and carrying out a multi-level indexation (at least three), sorting
the references and merging the redundancies. Ideally this package
should work on a PC. Alternatively we could consider transplanting
the whole directory production on a VAX.

Information can be sent to the following e-mail address:
   HECK @ FRCCSC21.
Many thanks in advance.
Andre HECK.

Date: Thu, 4 OCT 90 10:58:56 +01:00
From: MACALLSTR@physics.oxford.ac.uk
Subject: HP PCL command query ...

Does anyone know what this HP PCL command does?

 <ESC>&l1057.32259J
 <ESC>&l5257.1058J

I have it in a file but I can't find anything about the
            <ESC>&l...J
command in my Tecnhical Manual.

John

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 90 13:47:45 EDT
From: "Bradley D. Keister" <keister@poincare.phys.cmu.edu>
Subject: DVIEPS

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, but the documentation I have
available doesn't provide it.  I'm trying to run DVIEPS on a PC, and it
gives messages that it can't find the fonts it needs, with basically no
output as a result.  What dpi base should I use?  240 dpi?  300 dpi?  If
the latter, do I just use the laser printer font tree?  If the former,
can I get the complete set somewhere?  I have the fonts for DVIVGA, but
that apparently doesn't make DVIEPS happy (too small a dpi...?).

Brad Keister
Physics Dept.
Carnegie Mellon U

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 12:14:21 GMT
From: Erik Jacobsen <erja@daimi.aau.dk>
Subject: Looking for dvitty-program in C
Keywods: dviware

I need to install dvitty on a machine without a Pascal-compiler, so I
am looking for a version in C. All I seem to be able to find on
the ftp-sites is the Pascal-version.

(dvitty translates any dvi-file to a (sometimes) reasonable straight
ASCII-representation, useful for previewing on a dumb terminal.)

Erik

Erik Jacobsen,     Computer Science Department,    Aarhus University
Ny Munkegade,    Building 540,       DK-8000 Aarhus C,       Denmark

Phone: +45 86127188, Telefax: +45 86135725, Home phone: +45 86169199
       Internet: erja@daimi.aau.dk,           Ham-radio: OZ6KS

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 22:51:18 EST
From: "Michael Barr, Math Dept, McGill University" <INHB@MUSICB.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: Lisa Ungar`s LaTeX question

I am giving a public answer to the question of Lisa Ungar who was
advised that, ``You can't do that in LaTeX (although it would be easy in
TeX).''  This is nonesense.  LaTeX offers exactly the same possibilites,
although sometimes in different ways.  In the case at hand, the same
code that works in TeX works without change in LaTeX, although I have
used LaTeX type syntax.  I am not sure exactly what is desired, so
perhaps some modifications would have to be nade.  I have not put in
line numbers.  If only one number is wanted, then that is relatively
easy; just add $$ at the beginning of \leftarray and \eqno\theequation$$
before the \par in \endleftarray (not tested, but something of this sort
should work).  Multiple line numbers would be harder but an appropriate
modification of \eqnarray will certainly work.

\def\leftarray{\bgroup\openup5pt\let\\=\cr\par\kern6pt\noindent\halign
\bgroup $##$\hfil & $##$\hfil & $##$\hfil \cr}
\def\endleftarray{\cr\egroup\egroup\par\kern6pt\noindent}

\begin{document}

Sample text above the formula
\begin{leftarray}%
G(N)&=&\sqrt{2 \pi N} e^{N(\frac{1}{\beta_1}-1)}
\frac{N^{m -1} \alpha_{1}^{N-m +1}}{(m - 1)!}
(1-\alpha_1)^{m-1} \prod_{i=1}^{m}A_i (\frac{r_i}{\alpha_1})
\\
&& \times \prod_{i=m+1}^{M} \frac{A_i (\frac{r_i}{\alpha_1})}
{1-\frac{\alpha_i}{\alpha_1} }
[1+O(N^{-1})]
\label{eq:gt1}
\end{leftarray}
Sample text below the formula

\end{document}

As for the question fo what \lefteqn actually does, it allows the
leftmost term of the first line of an alignment to print to extend far
to the right of the leftmost terms of the remaining lines.  This is what
it says, although perhaps not very clearly, on page 50 of the LaTeX
book.

I received a couple of responses to my question on chemical macros, both
giving exactly the same code.  It was in plain TeX and didn't use the
LaTeX line fonts, so of course it couldn't do rings, such as benzene.
This makes it less than useful, except perhaps for inorganic.  Hasn't
anyone done this in LaTeX.  My daughter works for a company that
prepares courses to prepare for standardized tests.  They use some
klunky page preparation program that uses graphics imported from a
drawing program.  She asked me if they would do better converting to TeX
and we agreed that, except for chemistry, they would be.  The macros I
got didn't change my opinion.  So there is a challenge for all TeXxies.

Michael Barr
inhb@mcgillb
inhb@musicb.mcgill.ca

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 21:15:25 EDT
From: Peter C Olsen <pcolsen@super.org>
Subject: APL Fonts for TeX

Can anyone give me a pointer to a set of APL Fonts for TeX (or LaTeX)?

Thanks!

Peter Olsen --- pcolsen@super.super.org

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 1990 15:04 PDT
From: Don Hosek <DHOSEK@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Bug in TeX??? Strange things happening with entirely blank
		 character

The problem you've encountered is actually a device/device-driver bug
which is surprisingly frequent. Some output devices choke on an output
character which is entirely blank and the drivers fail to filter this
out. If you paid for your device driver, complain to the people who took
your money until it's fixed.

This issue is specifically addressed in the Level 0 DVI driver standard
(being completed).

dh

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 17:27 N
From: KNAPPEN%VKPMZD.Physik.Uni-Mainz.de@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Extra letters not only for African languages

Real fonts -- using the places 128 to 255 in the cm-fonts

Revised and enlarged version 7.SEP.1990

These are some preliminary thoughts about using the places 128 to 255 in
the (real) cm-fonts. I think there should be a convention to use this places
in a standard way. If this does not happen, plenties of homemade solutions
will occur.

With the help of Prof. N. Cyffer from the Institut f\"ur Ethnologie und
Afrikanistik at Mainz University I examined many african languages with
latin based writing. I included the so-called critical languages according
to the definition given by the US department of education in 1985.
Each of these languages has at least one million speakers.

Unfortunately, the process of standardisation has not come to an end yet.
So the inventory of zusatz letters is going on. Even worse news: Some
writing systems are invented using special letters only to make a
difference to other languages.

A reference (ipa:nnn) means that the letter is given in the wsuipa-font
(University of Washington International Phonetic Alfabet) in the octal
position nnn.

Some non-regarded european languages are included either. Not (yet)
included is the sami language (northern scandinavia).

I) Some characters that should be added to the cm-fonts:

A) letters:

  b: b which's stem curls to the right (ipa:010), occurs in many languages
     including Hausa, Fulful, Kpelle, Zulu.
     Uppercase: B with curl on the NE corner (Hausa, Fulful, Kpelle)
                Cyrillic B (Zulu)

  d: edh (Icelandic) (ipa:023)
     d-bar (Kroatian)(ipa:015)
     d with descender curling to the right (Ewe) (ipa:021)
     Uppercase: D with stroke (\char32) (good for this three ones).

     Remark: To do this, a change in the cm Metafont code of \char32
     (oct040) is necessary. The ligtable of this special character is
     included in the code of it and not in the ligtable stuff of the driver
     file. After that, define in plain.tex
     \def\D{\char32D}
     If the \allowhyphens macro from german.sty is known, you may define
     \def\D{\char32\allowhyphens} % allows hyphenation in the rest of the word

     d which's stem curls to the right (ipa:020) (Fulful, Hausa)
     Uppercase: D with curl on the NE corner.

  e: \varepsilon-like e (ipa:030) very common, e.g. Basa (Kru), Dinka, Ewe,
     Fulful, G\~a, Kpelle, Mandekan (Bambara), Mende, Ngala (Lingala)
     Uppercase: Larger \varepsilon (like \cal E)

     e rotated 180 degrees (ipa:025) (Kanuri)
     Uppercase: E rotated 180 degrees, like \exists.

  f: Ewe uses two differnt f's, one like the roman f and the other like the
     italic f with j-like descender.
     Uppercase: F with J-like curl on the SE corner.
     (Remark: This contradicts European and American typografic
     conventions. The italic font has f with descender in the position of "f"
     and shall have an f without descender in postion of "varf". An ewe.sty
     will find the proper f then).

  g: Letter looking like v with a drop under it (ipa:040) (Dinka, Ewe,
     Kpelle).
     Uppercase: Looking the same, but sitting on the base line.

  h: h-bar (Maltese) (ipa:043)
     Uppercase: Double-barred H

  k: k, which's stem curls to the right (Hausa)
     Uppercase: K with curl on NW corner.

  n: eng, n with j-like right stem (ipa:070) very common.
     Uppercase: The same, but sitting on the base line
                variant: Looking like LaTeX \Box (or AMSTeX \square)

     enj, n with j-like left stem (ipa:071) (Songhai) (don't know, if there
     is a standard yet).
     Uppercase: unknown, probably in the same fashion as Uppercase ENG.
                         or like N with J-likle curl on the SE-corner.

  o: open o, looking like mirror-c (ipa:075) very common.
     Uppercase: like mirror-C

  s: variant s, looking like unbarred f (Old European writing, eg mediaeval
     french). No uppercase.

   : esh, looking like an integral sign (ipa:115) (G\~a)
     Uppercase: looking the same, having descender, with weightier stroke
                (without reference: \Sigma---not in G\~a)

  u: \upsilon (ipa:131) (Ewe). Must be distinguished from u,v,y.
     Uppercase: The same enlarged.

  y: y with curl on the NW corner (Fulful) (must be distiguished from
     normal y)
     Uppercase: Y with curl on the NW corner (maybe \Upsilon is acceptable)

    : thorn (Icelandic) (ipa:102)
      Uppercase: Thorn

    : Ain, U rotated 180 degrees (Maltese, obsolete?)
      Ghain: the same with dot over it
      Lowercase unknown, only seen small cap.

B) punctuation:

french single and double quotes (looking like << < > >> )
german quotes (looking like ,, and ``)

C) accents (and other diacritical marks)

a double falling accent (used in kroatian dictionaries)
prime accent (Efik, between acut and gravis, must be distinguished from both)
  (placed in the middle over a vowel, standing upright)
a standing tilde accent (like a dotless question mark) (Vietnamese)
ogonek

D) other

a degree sign
a per mille sign (0/00)

II) Some more characters, that could be added, but are not that necessary:

A) letters

    greenlandic kra
    lowercase only, looking like a small cap K (it's possible to call it as
    a macro from cmcsc-font. Maybe a slanteded cmcscsl-font should be added
    to the font distribution for providing an italic kra)

   variant eszet (moved to section IV)

D) other

numero sign

E) ligs

fj, f\i,ft, variant s-ligs
t-esh (G\~a)

F) accented characters

This is quite a problem, because there are really many of them. Just
including french, spanish, kroatian, hungarian and polish leads to about 80
ones. But in many ways, including them makes life easier: They can be
accessed as ligatures (see e.g. icelandic TeX), which allows hyphenation
and makes typing easier.

I think, TeX should support as many languages as possible. Priority should
be given to accented letters that cannot be created with floating accents
or don't look right then (eg some ogonek'ed letters)

III) Characters which should *not* be placed in the standard cm-fonts:

D) other

Any commercial signs (like currency symbols, trademark, etc). These aren't
necessary in roman, italic, caps-and-small caps and sans serif form. It's
sufficient to have them one time in a special symbol font. I emphasize this
point a bit, because they are included in some iso-standards.

Male/female signs (see remark above)

IV) More switches

The standard cm-fonts now contain one switch: the variant_g. I want to
propose some more switches:

 variant_a: An italic type small a (in the same manner like variant_g). In
        germany sans serif fonts with this variant a are quite popular.

 variant_eszet: Looks like variant s with a little three. Some people prefer
        this one in roman style, especially in bold face.

V) Note added

The Cork conference has voted for a standard supporting only the european
languages. This standard includes besides many accented letters the Edh,
Eng and Thorn. It does *not* include Open E, Open O and variant B, which are
widely used in african writing (not to mention those letters occurring in
only a few languages). So, if you want to use TeX for typesetting african
languages, you will have to prepare your own fonts.

*** Metafont code available ***
I prepared some Metafont code for the above mentioned characters. I'll
e-mail it to you, if you send me a short mail including who you are and
the reason of interest.

J\"org Knappen               Bitnet: Knappen@dmznat51
Institut f\"ur Kernphysik
Postfach 3980
D-6500 Mainz
R.F.A.

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest