[comp.text.tex] Third call for help!! Overprinting Forms.

jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) (10/15/90)

I hav easked this question twice but to date have not received any replies or seen any posts for followup.

Can LaTeX be made to properly position text to overprint it on a
preexisting form that I could hand feed into my laser-printer?

Is the picture environment the place to start?

I want to print a full size form, can it be done?

Post replies please, out E-mail feed has been hosed lately.
If anyone has tried to E-mail a reply and had it bounce, I appreciate
the help, please repost to the net.

Thanks, Jeff

|    Capt Jeff Long                                 longj@lonex.radc.af.mil   |
|    Rome Air Development Center                    (315) 330-7751            |
|    Communications Networking Branch               (DSN) 587-7751            |

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (10/15/90)

jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) writes:

>Can LaTeX be made to properly position text to overprint it on a
>preexisting form that I could hand feed into my laser-printer?

Sure. Up to your printers accuracy, of course.

>Is the picture environment the place to start?

No. A form typically consists of a number of columns an items at
a regular distance. I suggest that you try something with a table.
You can insert horizontal skips to get the place of the
columns right, and there is a parameter to stretch the baseline
distance.

But your posting is far from specific, so answering is pretty
hard. For instance: do you have to fill in dates with all
digits in preprinted boxes? Are all items one-liners, or is there
a need for paragraphs of text at certain places?

Really, this is not a problem that can very well be solved in
the abstract on the net. For any given form it is merely
a tedious amount of tinkering with parameters.
But it may pay of: I had macros to fill in the complaint sheet
of my computer centre (at my former employer, that is!).
Saved hours of time. Per month.

Victor.