[comp.text.tex] Problems with Bibstack...

RJones@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Bob Jones) (10/14/90)

I have recently obtained BibTeX and Bibstack from the Aston archives.
In the main I am very pleased with the results. However, I am having a
few problems. When I open Bibstack the top menu bar (file/edit/go)
partially covers the buttons at the top of the card making them
extremely difficult to press. I would also like to know how one
deletes an existing card... perhaps one is just supposed to overwrite
them? In the small 'location' window there does not appear to be a way
of scrolling the text even though one is able to add text ad
infinitum. Finally, the journal button in the article type card does
not insert the selected entry. I am using Hypercard 1.2.2 by the way.

				Thanks in advance,

							Rob.

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (10/15/90)

I will preceed this advice with the statement that I have not used the
stack in question.  I did look at it briefly, but my advice is based on
general Hypercard (1.2.2) techniques.

In article <RJONES.90Oct14003251@exua.exua.exeter.ac.uk> RJones@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Bob Jones) writes:
>I have recently obtained BibTeX and Bibstack from the Aston archives.
>In the main I am very pleased with the results. However, I am having a
>few problems. When I open Bibstack the top menu bar (file/edit/go)
>partially covers the buttons at the top of the card making them
>extremely difficult to press.

This problem arises because the stack was probably created by someone
using a screen larger than that of the original compact macs (plus/se/se30)
on which the menubar does not occlude part of the card surface.

The solution in general is to bring up the message box (by selecting
Message in the Go menu, or by typing command-m) and type into it:

hide menubar (Then press return)

This will make the menubar go away.  To make the message box go away
just click anywhere on the main card, and the stack will come back to the
foreground.   If you want the menubar back, you must first bring up the
message box again.  Now, since there is no menubar to select from you must
use command-m to bring it up.  Then type into it:

show menubar (return)

>I would also like to know how one deletes an existing card...
>perhaps one is just supposed to overwrite them?

select "Delete Card" from the edit menu.  I just looked at the stack
scripts and it doesn't look like this will cause any problems (ie there
arent any indices being manually maintained that would need to be updated,
as far as I can tell).

Note, that you will not be able to delete the last remaining card for
a given card type.  That is, there must always be at least one entry
for each entry type, such as InProceedings.  With a little massaging
of the stack this could be eliminated.  The problem is that the stack
needs an existing entry to use as a template for creating new cards
of that type.  For publication quality stacks I usually make an attempt
to hide these "Template" cards from open view.

>In the small 'location' window there does not appear to be a way
>of scrolling the text even though one is able to add text ad
>infinitum.

This is a bit more involved.  Since you mention above that you have
only the (file/edit/go) options in the menubar, I assume you are in
something below "authoring" mode. To fix this you must be in "authoring"
mode. This involves bumping your user-level up by typing

set userlevel to 4 (return)

in the message box. Now from the "Tools" menu select the field tool
which is the top-right tool.  Now click on the "location" field to select
it, and choose "Field Info..." from the "Objects" menu. When the dialog
box comes up, you will notice a series of check-boxes on the right for
setting the field's type.  Simply click in the box marked "Scrolling".
Then click the "OK" button.  Finally, select the hand tool from the "Tools"
menu, and you are back in business.

Note you will have to do this to the location field on each of the
different card-types separately, but only on one card per card-type.
That is, changing the field on one "Book" card will chang it on all
"Book" cards, but will not effect it on "InProceedings" cards.

Finally, if you are uncomfortable being left in "authoring" mode,
just type

set userlevel to 3

in the message box.

>Finally, the journal button in the article type card does
>not insert the selected entry. I am using Hypercard 1.2.2 by the way.

This one I can't answer without looking through the pertinent scripts to
track the bug down.

>				Thanks in advance,
>
>							Rob.

Hope this helps.  By all means, make a copy of your stack and fool
around with it in "authoring" mode.  This is one of the best ways
to learn hypercard.  If you get really adventuresome and
want to check out the scripts (programs) try userlevel 5.

						Josh
Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu