[comp.text.tex] AMSTex, is it discussed?

squash@math.ufl.edu (Jonathan King) (10/16/90)

Does this newgroup discuss AMSTex?  Is this newsgroup mostly devoted
to LaTeX? -if so, is there a special news group dealing with questions
from AMSTex users?

Specific question:  Is there a macro package for AMSTex designed to do
automatic indexing of a book?  (I realize that LaTeX can do this.)

Jonathan

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (10/16/90)

In article <SQUASH.90Oct15220139@shadrach.math.ufl.edu> squash@math.ufl.edu (Jonathan King) writes:
>Does this newgroup discuss AMSTex?  Is this newsgroup mostly devoted
>to LaTeX? -if so, is there a special news group dealing with questions
>from AMSTex users?

Yes, this is the right group to discuss AMSTeX.  Perhaps you should use
the word AMSTeX in your subject line to notify browsers.  Now if we
could get those others to put the word LATEX in their subject lines,
the rest of us could save the time involved in reading the frequent
"How can I do <***> in LATEX" messages.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

walter@hpsadle.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (10/17/90)

The texindex package, although it is intended for LaTeX, is fairly
flexible and could be used with a variety of text processors, even
(gasp!) non-TeX ones.  I'm not familiar with AMSTeX, but I've used
texindex with plain TeX satisfactorily.  When you say "automatically",
do you mean "without my having to type index-specific stuff in my
document", eg. \index{keyword} ?  If so, the current state of the art
may be disappointing; most indexing packages assume you're willing to
so identify the phrases to be indexed.  I have a makefile that takes a
list of words (not) to be indexed and wraps \index{} around the words
to be indexed, but this isn't as good as a human-produced one, but it
may serve as a starting point for one.