[comp.text.tex] Help-can't get emTeX running!!! Font Problems..

vober@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (10/18/90)

Please help me before I pull my hair out!!!!!

I have installed emTeX and so far I have not been able to get it to run
properly.

TeX, TeX286, dviscr, and dvidot all have problems finding the required
fonts.  I have installed fx_1200.fli, fx_1315.fli, fx_1440.fli,
fx_1728.fli, fx_2488.fli, fx_2074.fli, and fx_2986fli in a directory
called 'texfonts' off the root directory.  I have run set-tex.bat, so
the environment variables are set.

If I run v.bat, which calls dviscr with a configuration file @fx.cnf, the
program responds with the message:

"Warning 1205: font cmbx10 (c:/texfonts/pixel.fx/pxl$s/cmbx10<1200>) no found"

What's this pixel xxx subdirectory?  I donts have this subdir.  Do I need to
run some utility to set up my font directories properly?

Also, is the fx_xxxx.fli font files all I need to have for:  printing on an
epson printer, and using dviscr?  How about dvips.exe, will it use these
font libraries also, or do I need different ones?

If someone could please e-mail me some answers, I would truly appreciate it.
Having such a powerful program and not being able to understand/use it is
becoming very frustrating.

Thanks again.

Jim Vober

fong@ksuvax1 (Eric Fong) (10/18/90)

[stuff deleted...]
>If I run v.bat, which calls dviscr with a configuration file @fx.cnf, the
>program responds with the message:
>
>"Warning 1205: font cmbx10 (c:/texfonts/pixel.fx/pxl$s/cmbx10<1200>) no found"
>
>What's this pixel xxx subdirectory?  I donts have this subdir.  Do I need to
>run some utility to set up my font directories properly?

[........]
>If someone could please e-mail me some answers, I would truly appreciate it.
>Having such a powerful program and not being able to understand/use it is
>becoming very frustrating.

I have the similiar problem with dviscr, everything works except that.  Would
some kind soul e-mail me solution for the same problem.  Thank you very much.

--Eric Fong-- (fong@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu)

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (10/20/90)

In article <1481.271c53d5@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> vober@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

   TeX, TeX286, dviscr, and dvidot all have problems finding the required
   fonts.  I have installed fx_1200.fli, fx_1315.fli, fx_1440.fli,
   fx_1728.fli, fx_2488.fli, fx_2074.fli, and fx_2986fli in a directory
   called 'texfonts' off the root directory.  I have run set-tex.bat, so
   the environment variables are set.

   If I run v.bat, which calls dviscr with a configuration file @fx.cnf, the
   program responds with the message:

   "Warning 1205: font cmbx10 (c:/texfonts/pixel.fx/pxl$s/cmbx10<1200>) no found"

You have put the font files in \texfonts\*.fli. Your fx.cnf file says they are
in \texfonts\pixel.fx. The moral is pretty clear - move the directory
or edit the .cnf file. The format of .cnf files is explained in detail
in dvidrv.doc - you do have to read this stuff!

Sebastian

PS before someone tells me, yes I am aware that the questioners .cnf
file has moved on to search for individual pixel files, and my answer
is a simplification. But the moral remains - its all in the manual

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)