[comp.text.tex] macros for making tables in TeX

glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) (10/16/90)

Can anyone tell me where I might find some macros for making tables in TeX?

Thank you,
Glenn Leavell
Glenn F. Leavell            glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu             404-542-3488
Systems Administrator
University of Georgia Economics Department. 147 Brooks Hall. Athens, GA 30602

myers@ut-emx.uucp (Eric Myers) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.144412.4740@rigel.econ.uga.edu>
glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) writes:

>Can anyone tell me where I might find some macros for making tables in TeX?

Try the ruled table macros in the file ruled.tex, available via
anonymous ftp from emx.utexas.edu (128.83.1.33) in pub/texsis/tables.
There is also documentation in the same directory.

--
Eric Myers		"Frankie say '\relax'"

Center for Relativity, Department of Physics, University of Texas at Austin
myers@emx.utexas.edu  |   myers@utaphy.bitnet   |   myers@ut-emx.UUCP

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (10/17/90)

There is a package 'stables' from Robert Nilson.

How to get stables.tex and stables_doc.tex from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get TEX/stables.tex
    get TEX/stables_doc.tex

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu (PLEASE SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
    send TEX/stables.tex
    send TEX/stables_doc.tex
    end

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct16.144412.4740@rigel.econ.uga.edu>, I wrote:

>Can anyone tell me where I might find some macros for making tables in TeX?

I would like to thank all who responded.  Here is a brief summary of what
I learned.

stables
-------
Robert Nilssson has written a table macro package called S-Tables.
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl> let me know that you can obtain this
package by anonymous ftp from archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5].  Get the
files TEX/stables.tex, TEX/stables_doc.tex, and TEX/s_verbatim.tex.  Piet
also explains how you can obtain these files through a mail-server:

>send the following message to
>mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf):
>
>	begin
>	path john@highbrow.edu (PLEASE SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
>	send TEX/stables.tex
>	send TEX/stables_doc.tex
>	end
>
>The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
>message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
>first issue the request:
>	send HELP

ruled.tex
---------
Eric Myers <myers@emx.utexas.edu,myers@utaphy.bitnet,myers@ut-emx.UUCP>
let me know about his package, ruled.tex.  The following is from his
README file:

>  RULED TABLES.
>
>  The file ruled.tex contains a set of macros which can be used to typeset
>  tables with vertical and horizontal rules.  The syntax is the same
>  as for Ray Cowan's macros TABLES.TEX, as described in TABELDOC.TEX,
>  and  I have used some of Cowan's tricks, but most of the macros
>  are complete re-writes.  To use these macros in place of Cowan's
>  simply copy them to a file called TABLES.TEX or use a link.

Eric also states in his documentation that his tables are different
internally than Cowan's, and that they run about 5 times faster.

You can receive ruled.tex and related documentation by anonymous ftp
from emx.utexas.edu [128.83.1.33] in pub/texsis/tables.

T2D4 and TaBlEs
---------------
John Yee <yee@seas.ucla.edu> told me about two packages that are
available at a cost:

>I know of two:  Tables to Die for (T2D4) by Michael Spivak.
>  It was available from PCTeX for about $80.00
>Then there is TaBlEs again from them for $79.00.
>They are both macro packages and so useable on any machine.
>PCTeX is at pti@well.sf.ca.us

general
-------
Raymond Chen <raymond@math.berkeley.edu> also told me about two general
TeX sites that allow anonymous ftp:

>sun.soe.clarkson.edu has a formidable archive of TeX materials.
>ymir.claremont.edu has a simply mind-boggling archive of same.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded,
Glenn