[comp.text.tex] Envelopes in TeX

n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (10/23/90)

Does anyone know how to print addresses on envelopes using TeX?  I've got
an HP Laserjet IIP and the envelopes only go through the long way.

The TeXbook says landscape mode can't be done, but it would really be nice
to have my envelopes look as good as the letters inside them...

Thanks,

Kris Bruland

--
Kriston M. Bruland        |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu  |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .

hastings@rolls.utah.edu (Clint Hastings) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.083348.6215@unicorn.wwu.edu> n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) writes:

>Does anyone know how to print addresses on envelopes using TeX?  I've got
>an HP Laserjet IIP and the envelopes only go through the long way.
>
>The TeXbook says landscape mode can't be done, but it would really be nice
>to have my envelopes look as good as the letters inside them...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kris Bruland
>
>--
>Kriston M. Bruland        |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
>n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu  |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .
>8541751@nessie.wwu.edu    |    .             .         .     .   .     .

I have a LaserJet IIP, and to get it in landscape mode, I have to set
landscape in the printer menu.  Then my dvijep driver prints in landscape
mode just fine.  The same thing should work for your envelopes, although
I have not tried this.

  Only ///\      Clint Hastings   hastings@ee.utah.edu
      ///  \     KC7XX            veni, vidi, vici.
  \\\///~~~~\
   \XX/      \miga makes the impossible commonplace.

marcel@cs.caltech.edu (Marcel van der Goot) (10/24/90)

In <1990Oct23.083348.6215@unicorn.wwu.edu> Kris Bruland
(n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu) asks

> Does anyone know how to print addresses on envelopes using TeX?

The solution was developed long ago, before TeX even existed: You
print on peel-off labels instead of on the envelopes. You can buy
them in many different forms, with or without tractor feed holes, etc.

> The TeXbook says landscape mode can't be done ...

Does it? How things are finally printed on paper depends on the
dvi-driver and the printer you are using. Certainly TeX doesn't care
what the size of the paper is, whether it's 8.5 x 11 in (portrait), or
11 x 8.5 in (landscape), 21 x (21\sqrt{2}) cm, (21\sqrt{2}) x 21 cm,
or whatever.

					   Marcel van der Goot
					   marcel@vlsi.cs.caltech.edu

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (10/25/90)

In <1990Oct23.214405.15075@nntp-server.caltech.edu> marcel@cs.caltech.edu (Marcel van der Goot) writes:

>In <1990Oct23.083348.6215@unicorn.wwu.edu> Kris Bruland
>(n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu) asks

>> Does anyone know how to print addresses on envelopes using TeX?

>The solution was developed long ago, before TeX even existed: You
>print on peel-off labels instead of on the envelopes. You can buy
>them in many different forms, with or without tractor feed holes, etc.

An even easier solution is to use envelopes  with windows.

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (10/25/90)

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) writes:
>In <1990Oct23.214405.15075@nntp-server.caltech.edu> marcel@cs.caltech.edu (Marcel van der Goot) writes:
>>In <1990Oct23.083348.6215@unicorn.wwu.edu> Kris Bruland (n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu) asks

>>> Does anyone know how to print addresses on envelopes using TeX?

>> You print on peel-off labels instead of on the envelopes.

> An even easier solution is to use envelopes  with windows.

I wrote an LJenvelope.sty for my own use.  Rather simple but extremely
inelegant.  The prerequisites are you must print to a LaserJet, and you
need a dvi-driver that understands landscape printing such as dviljp from
Tom Rokicki's AmigaTeX.

The advantages include using pre-printed company letterhead envelopes,
not having to fold letters to get them just right, not wasting a whole
sheet of labels to get a single address, and not having to print on
plain paper then photo-copy onto labels.

It's an ugly hack, but it works for me.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

sxm@bebop.Philips.Com (Sandeep Mehta) (10/25/90)

> marcel@cs.caltech.edu (Marcel van der Goot) writes:

   > Does anyone know how to print addresses on envelopes using TeX?

   The solution was developed long ago, before TeX even existed: You
   print on peel-off labels instead of on the envelopes. You can buy
   them in many different forms, with or without tractor feed holes, etc.

yup, and it's a whole lot easier to keep and use peel off labels.
for addresses you need to print en-mass here is a q`n'd LaTeX file to
do it.

It prints a grid and the addresses inside the boxes. The sizes work w/
the label sheets I have. You'll have to fiddle around to make it work
with your labels. There are two files. Save the first as picture.1.sty
and latter as your labels files. it's pretty simple.

hope this is some use...

sandeep

-----------8<-------------8<------------------8<----------
%%%%%%%%% THE STYLE: SAVE IN FILE picture.1.sty  %%%%%%%%%%%%
%%  setup for picture mode

\pagestyle{empty}

\textheight        10.5in
\textwidth          8.0in
\columnwidth   \textwidth

\headheight         0.0in
\headsep            0.0in
\footheight         0.0in
\footskip           0.0in

\topmargin         -0.95in
\oddsidemargin     -0.8in
\evensidemargin    -0.8in

\setlength{\unitlength}{0.01in}

\newcommand{\border}
{
   \begin{picture}(850,1100)

   \multiput(0,0)(0,1100){2}{\line(1,0){700}}
   \multiput(0,0)(850,0){2}{\line(0,1){900}}

   \end{picture}
}

\newcommand{\grid}
{
   \begin{picture}(850,1100)

   \multiput(0,0)(100,0){9}{\line(0,1){1100}}     % vert lines
   \multiput(0,0)(0,100){12}{\line(1,0){850}}     % horz lines

   \end{picture}
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% THE EXAMPLE: SAVE IN SEPARATE FILE %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% prints 66 address labels (2 per label)
% for use with 8 1/2 x 11 label paper (3x11 labels/sheet)

\documentstyle[picture.1]{letter}

\begin{document}
\newcommand{\retaddr}
{