[comp.text.tex] TeX 3.0 Hyphenation

young@emx.utexas.edu (Young U. Ryu) (10/27/90)

Charles Geyer wrote:
  > The TeX 3.0 we have here performs the following terrible hyphenation:
  >
  > \tenrm Y-ounes
  >
  > and splits the word as shown across a line break

I tested it with emTeX 3.0, but it gave the correct result,
i.e. no hyphenation.

As I know, TeX 3.0 has a bit different hyphenation scheme
from TeX 2.xx. I guess he should make sure if he has
the correct version of plain.tex and hyphen.tex.
That is, he should check \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin.

Or he may try the following, which is supplied by emTeX.

%
% 3.tex
%
% Some definitions for using pre-3.0 formats with TeX 3.0
%
\errorcontextlines=5
\lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 % disallow x- or -xx breaks

Young (young@emx.utexas.edu)
The Univ. of Texas at Austin.