[comp.text.tex] OzTeX version 1.3 available.

spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (10/23/90)

Version 1.3 of OzTeX, the public-domain implementation of TeX for the Apple
Macintosh microcomputer, is available for anonymous FTP on
'giza.cis.ohio-state.edu' (182.146.8.61) in the pub/oztex directory.

There is an OzTeX.README file which gives more information about which files
to download.  Basically, the fonts have not changed, so if you already have
OzTeX you need not download the font files.  The new files are:
 Formats.sit.hqx, Inputs.sit.hqx, and OzTeX.sit.hqx.

spencer@osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (10/24/90)

In article <1057@gertie.osc.edu> spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:

>Version 1.3 of OzTeX, the public-domain implementation of TeX for the Apple
>Macintosh microcomputer, is available for anonymous FTP on
>'giza.cis.ohio-state.edu' (182.146.8.61) in the pub/oztex directory.
>			    ^^^

I goofed.  The Internet address for 'giza' is 128.146.8.61.  Sorry if it
inconvenienced anyone.                        ^^^

--
Stephen N. Spencer      | "Gentlemen!  You can't fight in here!
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. |  This is the WAR room!"

park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov (Yongsup Park) (10/29/90)

In article <1061@gertie.osc.edu>, spencer@osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes...

>>Version 1.3 of OzTeX, the public-domain implementation of TeX for the Apple
>>Macintosh microcomputer, is available for anonymous FTP on
>>'giza.cis.ohio-state.edu' (182.146.8.61) in the pub/oztex directory.
>>			    ^^^
>I goofed.  The Internet address for 'giza' is 128.146.8.61.  Sorry if it
>inconvenienced anyone.                        ^^^

It's also available from 'tank.uchicago.edu' in the pub/OzTeX directory.

BTW, I just upgraded OzTeX 1.2 to 1.3.
But I have no idea about the various parameters in 'Default' configuration file
especially about the memory allocations.
It says its present allocation is for 1 meg memory system.
Since I have a MacIIcx with 8meg, I'd like to optimize it for my system.
Anybody can help ?

Thanks in advance.
            Yongsup Park           Internet :  park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov
                                   BITnet   :  B40180@ANLCV1.BITNET
                  Life is short: Do not resist temptation.

c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (10/30/90)

In article <2890@linac.fnal.gov> park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov writes:

>It's also available from 'tank.uchicago.edu' in the pub/OzTeX directory.

The machine "tank" is no more.  The archive is now on midway.uchicago.edu.
See the official announcement in comp.sys.mac.announce.  You should not
expect references to tank to continue to work.

>BTW, I just upgraded OzTeX 1.2 to 1.3.
>But I have no idea about the various parameters in 'Default' configuration
>file especially about the memory allocations.
>It says its present allocation is for 1 meg memory system.
>Since I have a MacIIcx with 8meg, I'd like to optimize it for my system.

There is no "optimization" question here.  If you *need* to increase the
parameters, e.g., if you get one of TeXs "ask a wizard to enlarge me" error
messages, then you should increase the parameters -- or better yet, just
use the "large" configuration file that is included.  This will only be
necessary if you are using some gigantic macro file or writing a 10000 page
book with lots of symbolic references.  Otherwise, just use the default.
Sometimes bigger is not better!

--Walter
Walter Carlip 				**** c3ar@finite.chi.il.us ****
(the "3" is invisible)    **** c3ar%finite.chi.il.us@gargoyle.uchicago.edu ****
           Oztex Distributor: oztex@midway.uchicago.edu

Walter Carlip 				**** c3ar@finite.chi.il.us ****
(the "3" is invisible)    **** c3ar%finite.chi.il.us@gargoyle.uchicago.edu ****

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (10/30/90)

On the copy of OzTeX 1.3 that I got, the bundle bit of the OzTeX application
was not set.  If you know what that means, you should fix it.  If you
don't, ask a Mac expert to do it for you.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY