[comp.text.tex] TeX3.0 help needed.

woo@nas.nasa.gov (Alex C. Woo) (10/28/90)

The standard UNIX TeX3.0 distribution seems to compile
fine the MIPS C compiler, except for some unreachable
statement in tex/tex3.c.  However, the result seems
to produce one page per word.

Is there some trick to this?

Thanks,

Alex Woo
woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov

lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) (10/31/90)

woo@nas.nasa.gov (Alex C. Woo) writes:

>The standard UNIX TeX3.0 distribution seems to compile
>fine the MIPS C compiler, except for some unreachable
>statement in tex/tex3.c.  However, the result seems
>to produce one page per word.

>Is there some trick to this?

I think I saw this a some point in the distant past.  Since I can't really
remember, let me simply advise:

a) Run the trip test to REALLY see if you've compiled correctly.

b) Make certain that you defined "schar" as "signed char" in site.h.
   This is important.

c) Depending on which release of 'cc' you're using, compiling with -O
   can break parts of both TeX and Metafont.  Try compiling without -O
   first and check that you pass the trip (& trap) tests.

Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
University of Washington	Bitnet:   yaffe@uwaphast.bitnet