Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 09:04:25 +0200
From: Malki Cymbalista <VUMALKI%WEIZMANN@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Bibtex, unix, c source, TeX, VAX/VMS

Where can I get the source for Bibtex in C?  I am trying to install
Bibtex on a Sun 3 running Unix.

I am trying to get TeX to create an external file for table of contents,
references etc.  I am running on a VAX/VMS and even though the file
gets created, when TeX tries to read in the file, I get an error
message saying that it can't find the file.  Does anybody running
on a VAX under VMS have experience creating external files?
Any help will be appreciated.
Malki

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 19:40 N
From: KNAPPEN%VKPMZD.Physik.Uni-Mainz.de@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Re: APL Fonts for TeX

Dear Peter Olson,

to me are two fonts known:
1) cmapl: You can get it via ftp from  ymir.claremont.edu
get [anonymous.tex.mf.misc]cmapl10.mf
You'll find some documentation and macros in the following files:
get [anonymous.tex.periodicals.tugboat]apldef.tex
get [anonymous.tex.periodicals.tugboat]aplstyle.tex
get [anonymous.tex.periodicals.tugboat]aplverb.tex

2) wasy: A symbol font available from  listserv@dhdurz1
send wasy zoouue

J"org Knappen.

Date:     Fri, 19 Oct 90 9:42:59 PDT
From: JSLee <jslee@nrtc.northrop.com>
Subject:  Comparison of Tex with Word, Wordperfect, etc.

Has anyone made a comparison of the capabilities and non-capabilities
of Tex, Word, WordPerfect, and all those others?

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 18:48:15 EDT
From: dgame@pcs.CNC.EDU (David Game)
Subject: latex and ps

I am looking for a way to put postscript drawings (EPS) into figures
in latex.  Running on Suns. Anyone out there doing this?
Cutting and pasting is a drag! Thanks!

Date: Tue 16 Oct 90 09:46:00-EST
From: Charlotte Laurendeau <CVL@MATH.AMS.COM>
Subject: Winter Course Schedule

                         TeX Users Group
                1990/1991 Winter Course Schedule

Intensive Course         Intensive Beg/Inter       Advanced TeX/
in LaTeX                 TeX                       Macro Writing
%------------------------------------------------------------------
Providence College       Univ of Houston,          Cal State
                         Clear Lake                Northridge
January 7-11             January 7-11              January 14-18

Northeastern Univ.       Providence College        Univ. of Maryland
March 25-29              January 7-11              January 28-February 1

                         University of Hawaii      University of Hawaii
                         at Manoa                  at Manoa
                         March 25-29               March 25-29

                        Course Fees:
                        Institutional member .... $595
                        Individual member ....... $620
                        Non-member .............. $695
                        Retired or full-time
                        unemployed student ...... $350

Call Charlotte at the TUG office to register or obtain additional
information:  (401) 751-7760
        fax:  (401) 751-1071
     e-mail:  cvl@math.ams.com

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 17:44:02 PDT
From: Francisco Antonio de Moraes Accioli Doria
         <DORIA@SUWATSON.stanford.edu>
Subject: Trouble with Levy's TeX Greek

     Hi,
     Could you help me ? I'm having trouble loading Levy's TeX Greek into
my Mac SE. I got to the point where I have the fonts 'inside' a suitcase
very much like the other TeX fonts, but when I give the proper TeX
command I get the answer, "Fonts not available".
     Also, does anyone know of a Metafont version of Griffi's old Bembo
fonts ? I mean the complete set, Antiqua Roman + Italic. I must say I
abhor the Bodoni stuff that is available with the usual TeX & LaTeX
programs...
     Please send the answers to my e-mail address, as I do not subscribe
to TeXhax:

     doria@suwatson.bitnet
     doria@suwatson.stanford.edu

     (F. A. Doria, IMSSS/Stanford)

     E-mail after November 1st:

     fad@lncc.bitnet

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 10:03:51 PDT
From: ik%enterprise@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Ik Su Yoo)
Subject: TeX and transcript

We recently installed SUN transcript 2.1 and our TeX 2.0 is now broken. We
can generate `.ps' file from `.tex' file, but when we print the postscript
file we get the error message saying:

    ERROR: limitcheck
    OFFENDING COMMAND: framedevice

The person who installed TeX has left us, and we are clueless as to what to
do. We do have TeX 3.0 and tried to build it using `web2c' without success.
We are stuck at step 6 in the installation guide, where it asks us to:

  6. cd into `tex' and make the format files you want.  If you don't know
     what this means, see the section `Format files and preloading' below.

From looking at the "section below", we now know what a format file is, but
we don't know what format files we want. Also, there were no format files
in the `tex' directory mentioned.

Could some kind soul(s) point us in the right direction? We have the
following setup:

    Sun SPARCs running SunOS 4.0.3
    Sun transcript 2.1
    TeX 3.0 (and Tex 2.0)

Please respond by e-mail, because we don't receive `comp.text.tex'. Thanks
in advance.

|  Ik Su Yoo                                 |  Office: (415) 354-5584        |
|  Scientist @ Lockheed AI Center            |  Fax:    (415) 354-5235        |
|  Orgn. 96-20, Bldg. 259, 3251 Hanover St.  |  E-mail: ik@laic.lockheed.com  |
|  Palo Alto, CA  94304-1191                 |          ...!leadsv!laic!ik    |

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 18:57:17 EDT
From: David Game <dgame@pcs.cnc.edu>
Subject: What's the deal with yacc stack overflow?

I am in the process of installing LaTeX on Sun 386s. I am using 'cc',
not 'gcc' and have eliminated the -O option as per directions.

My problem is that I am getting a number of errors which look like
this:

/bin/sh ./convert vftovp.p vftovp.c
  1 Function ligf
163 symbols.
cc  -I.. -c vftovp.c
"vftovp.c", line 1946: yacc stack overflow
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `vftovp.o'

What's the deal with yacc stack overflow?

Second question :
Are there any previewers available to run on Sun386s for
TeX. I don't find any on the distribution tape.
Oh yea, I'm running sunview, and would prefer something
for that, but if not, anything available for x-windows?

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 13:45:14 PDT
From: wescheng <wescheng@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Subject: Need Metafont->MS Windows 3.0 display font converter

Hello;
        I would appreciate if you had any info regarding tools (public
domain or other company) which will convert Metafont symbol sets to
MS Windows 3.0 display fonts.

        Thanks

Wesley Cheng
Hewlett Packard Company
100 Mayfield Ave, MS 36-LR
Mountain View, CA 94043

e-mail: wescheng@hpasda.mayfield.hp.com
                or
        wescheng@hpcc01.corp.hp.com
tel: (415) 691-5304

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 16:41:37 EDT
From: Karl Berry <karl@aten.cs.umb.edu>
Subject: web2c 5.8a released

I have released web2c version 5.8a (that's TeX 3.1 + Metafont 2.7 +
web2c `a').  You can get it by anonymous ftp from ics.uci.edu
[128.195.1.1], in the directory TeX, from ftp.cs.umb.edu [192.12.26.17],
in the directory pub/tex and from other sites (like the Aston archive).
The files are named `web-5.8a.tar.Z' and `web2c5.8a.tarZ'.  (Sorry for
the inconsistency, but system V insists on a 14 character limit.)

As well as updating to the new versions of TeX and Metafont, et al.,
several other changes have been made:

* I redid the implementation of SEARCH_SUBDIRECTORIES, so the programs
  now start up essentially as fast as before,

* If the current directory cannot be written, TeX and Metafont try to
  use the value of an environment variable (TEXMFOUTPUT) for the output
  files.

* I added an environment variable to find virtual fonts, VFFONTS.

* Errors from pltotf are reported properly (instead of as numbers).

* I fixed a bug that made MF fail the trap test under Ultrix et al. (and
  it wasn't fun, let me tell you :-().

* The usual round of changes to make it work on more systems.  It works
  out of the box (with only the right defines in site.h) on the AIX,
  Ultrix, Sun, BSD, and System V machines I have access to.

Let me know if you encounter problems.

karl@cs.umb.edu

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 16:22:31 EDT
From: jsg@arbortext.com
Subject: Code pages and TeX on PCs

For European PC users IBM provides various ``code pages,'' each of
which provides a different correspondence between keys and displayed
characters.  I don't have any direct experience with code pages, but
if I understand them correctly one key produces the same character
code under all conditions, but the screen might display a semicolon
with an English code page, an o-umlaut with German, and an o-slash
with Norwegian.

Now that we have (or nearly have) a standard international text font
coding with most of the European letters included, the question that
is raised is how to supply a TeX to all of these users that will
permit them to use their native languages and keyboards naturally.

One school of thought is simply to implement TeX to work with one
particular keyboard mapping, say ISO Latin 1, and expect users of
other code pages to work around this mapping with active characters
and \chardefs.  This has the advantage that TeX input files are
compatible throughout the world as long as the local \chardefs are
distributed with the files.  A disadvantage, however, is that TeX's
diagnostic messages will be written using the ISO Latin 1 coding, and
so users will see different things in their error messages than they
see in their TeX files.

The other alternative that I know of is much more complex but
philosophically more correct.  It is to provide a different xchr/xord
translation for each code page.  On a small scale the differences
between two code pages are like the differences between ascii and
ebcdic, and this is exactly what the xchr and xord arrays were
designed to handle.  Also, Knuth established a precedent for using
xchr/xord to deal with small keyboard differences when he created
special versions of TeX for the extended ascii character set described
in Appendix C of The TeXbook.

Using xchr/xord to handle code pages would make error messages agree
with the TeX input, but it would make German input incompatible with
Norwegian Tex.  This problem could be solved in two ways, and maybe
both ways simultaneously.  First, it would be easy to write a
table-driven translation program that would translate TeX input based
on one code page to any other code page.  Second, TeX could be made
configurable, so that a Norwegian user could change their xchr/xord
translation to German for an occasional German input file.
Configurable xchr/xord arrays raise their own problems, however, such
as whether to try to standarize the language in which code pages are
specified, and whether or not such an extended TeX is truly TeX at
all.

What are your preferences?  Are there other pros and cons?  Better,
are there other alternatives?

John Gourlay
ArborText, Inc.
jsg@arbortext.com

Date: Tue,  9 Oct 90 14:05:48 PDT
From: David Kellerman <davek@nls.com>
Subject: RE: Help with Strange sort of Tabular environment

Mark Gabriele asked about setting a table with the following appearance:
>                    /    /    /    /    /
>                   /    /    /    /    /
>                  /    /    /    /    /
>                 ---------------------
>     row 1 name  |    |    |    |    |
>                 ---------------------
>     row 2 name  |    |    |    |    |
>                 ---------------------
>     row 3 name  |    |    |    |    |
>                 ---------------------
>Where the areas represented by "/" should actually be the text which
>labels the columns.  The text should be ascending at an angle of
>about 60 degrees elevation from the horizontal.

I've done this a few times, and can offer a few suggestions.

First, the easy (easier?), but non-portable, way --- use PostScript.
If you happen to be using a PostScript output device, and your driver
allows you to insert PostScript code with TeX special commands, the
easiest way is to wrap the column heading text with PostScript commands
that reposition the coordinate system for drawing the headings.  The
exact commands will depend on your driver's conventions for coordinate
system, how it processes special commands, and so forth.

The harder, but portable, way to do it involves dismantling the \halign
once it is built, then reformatting the headings on the diagonal,
printing them on a separate page, they cutting them out and pasting
them into place.  Sounds awful, but that's how we prepared the device
driver tables in TUGboat 7, #1, March 1986.  The actual TeX code is
pretty well entwined with those macros, but the outline is this:
 1. set the \halign, but use an \rlap to hide the heading widths,
    so they won't affect the column withs, saving the alignment in a
    \vbox.
 2. \unvbox the box containing the alignment (do this inside another
    \vbox, so the results don't end up in the output); use \lastbox
    to copy all lines but the first to another \vbox, save the first
    line separately for further processing.
 3. \unhbox the \hbox containing the first line (inside another \hbox);
    use \lastbox to grab each column label; as you do this, you can
    note the column width, and then extract the column text from inside
    the \rlap box; use the column width to position the heading text
    at the correct diagonal position within another box (code similar
    to that described in The TeXbook Appendix D, p. 389) --- you get
    to do a bit of trigonometry; also save the length of the column
    text so you know how much room to leave for the headings.
 4. output the body of the \halign (saved in step 2), prepending
    enough space to fit the headings.
 5. your output routine needs a hook to generate an extra page
    containing the column heading box.
If you want to pursue this further, I can track down the macros if
you send me a note.

David Kellerman

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest