[comp.text.tex] 2 sided printing with emTeX drivers

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (11/01/90)

This is a batch file that I use with emTeX and a HP LaserJet III for
printing my documents double-sided.  Not earth shattering, but useful.

--- cut here ---
echo OFF
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Now starting to print even pages:
dvihplj @d:\tex\lj.cnf /2e/z+ %1
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Now take the paper from output tray, and put it back into the input tray,
echo face down, with the top of the pages towards the back of the printer.
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------
pause
echo Now starting to print odd pages:
dvihplj @d:\tex\lj.cnf /2o /z- %1
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Finished!
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- cut here ---

Dominik

c37189h@saha.hut.fi (Harri "Haba" Suomalainen) (11/02/90)

In comp.text.tex teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) writes:
>This is a batch file that I use with emTeX and a HP LaserJet III for
>printing my documents double-sided.  Not earth shattering, but useful.

I've used a script like that as well. If you got pages 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9
                                                               ^^^
ie. page 6 is MISSING that will not work. You'll get page 7 on the other
side of page 5. It is very nasty indeed if you've figured you'll get
something at the outer side of the page. (ie. right side on odd and left
side on even page numbers).
  I guess it is all a result of the fact that laserjet driver
thinks the first page there comes is odd, the second one is even etc.
Therefor you'll get the same 'foulty' results if your text starts with
an odd page.
  Of cource this all will happen only in LaTeX twosided-enviroment or any
any similarly contructed twoside printing system under TeX.
  LaTeX, for example, takes a look at the page number and then decides on
twosided printing if it should be on the left or on the right. Fortunately
you'll quite rarely, if ever, run into situation described above.

-haba
--

Harri Suomalainen    c37189h@saha.hut.fi    haba@otax.tky.hut.fi