[comp.text.tex] latex and empty page for figures to be installed later

ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG) (11/01/90)

Well, thanks to all those who replied to my article. The answer was
pretty obvious wasn't it. The other problem mentioned about overfull
main memory pool is more troublesome though, and short of getting a
bigger TeX (We already have what appears to be the biggest that can be
installed here) no other possible solutions were forwarded.

The problem remember was that I am using PiCTeX to draw chemical
structures which were placed in a scheme that could contain possibly
6-8 heterocyclic molecules with arrows etc. By itself it works fine
but if TeX tries to put two such schemes on the one page main memory
overflows. Positioning text by hand to try and get TeX to place the
second scheme on the next page does fix the problem, and I suupose in
the pentultimate draft that may be the easiest solution.

WE are just about to install TeX3.0, and I think I saw somewhere that
this version of teX had a more realistic approach to setting memory
sizes?? Is This so??

Can TeX3.0 be more easily configured to give a BiG-TeX??

Thanks again to all that replied. it is really good to know that there
is that sort of backup available.
tony scott.

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (11/02/90)

TS> WE are just about to install TeX3.0, and I think I saw somewhere that
TS> this version of teX had a more realistic approach to setting memory
TS> sizes?? Is This so??

TS> Can TeX3.0 be more easily configured to give a BiG-TeX??

If you get the web2c version of TeX3.1, this is very easy. There are diff
files that you can just apply (using "patch") to get a BIG tex and bibtex.

You can ftp this version from ics.uci.edu, in TeX/*5.8a*
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.