[comp.text.tex] LaTeX style to wrap text around figures?

tas@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tasman Derk Van Ommen) (10/31/90)

I am writing a thesis using latex with lots of encapsulated postscript figures
and I would like to be able to have the text wrap around the figures as in the
following example:
_______________________________
! ----text------------------- !
!----------------  __________ !
!---------------- !          !!           Does anyone have a method for
!---------------- !   Fig    !!           doing this sort of thing?
!---------------- !          !!
!---------------- !          !!      Thankyou,
!---------------- !__________!!                Tas van Ommen
!----------------  caption    !     ____________________________________
!---------------------------- !     !Physics Department,               !
!---------------------------- !     !University of Tasmania,           !
! _________  ---------------- !     !GPO Box 252C,                     !
!!         ! ---------------- !     !Hobart.                           !
!! Fig     ! ---------------- !     !Tasmania.    7001.                !
!!         ! ---------------- !     !Australia.                        !
!!         ! ---------------- !     !                                  !
!!_________! ---------------- !     !E-mail:                           !
!  caption   ---------------- !     !    tas@physvax.phys.utas.edu.au  !
!---------------------------- !     ------------------------------------

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (11/04/90)

In article <tas.657326771@tasman> tas@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tasman Derk Van Ommen) writes:

>I am writing a thesis using latex with lots of encapsulated postscript figures
>and I would like to be able to have the text wrap around the figures as in the
>following example:
>   _______________________________
>   ! ----text------------------- !
>   !----------------  __________ !
>   !---------------- !          !!           Does anyone have a method for
>   !---------------- !   Fig    !!           doing this sort of thing?
>   !---------------- !          !!
>   !---------------- !          !!      Thankyou,
>   !---------------- !__________!!                Tas van Ommen
>   !----------------  caption    !
>   !---------------------------- !
>[...]

I'm also interested in this kind of line-oriented processing and a way
to do this in LaTeX without harm (I've done a quick and dirty hack which
worked for me but is very restricted and hardly tested --- therefore not
recommendable to a greater public).
Alan Hoenig wrote some TeX macros which allow (even arbitrary shaped)
`windows' in between a paragraph. Together with Tomas Rokicki's Encapsulated
PostScript File macros and some enhancements (like a colleague and me have
done to include PS pictures as figures) it should be possible to make them
accessible in LaTeX. But I'm not a TeXpert and I guess it's a bit against
LaTeX's philosophy to use macros which influence TeX's paragraph-building
routines. But with a bit care ... :-)
So I repeat the above question: has someone else tried to do `floating text'
in LaTeX or even written a style for it?

Greetings, Wolfgang

P.S.: Alan Hoenig's macros appeared in ``TeX: applications, uses, methods.
      M. Clark (ed.), Ellis Horwood.'' (proceedings of TeX'88 at Exeter)
      I don't have the book nor the macros, just an idea how he did it.

Wolfgang Huwig         FB14 Informatik         Universit\"at des Saarlandes
Internet: wolf@cs.uni-sb.de