[comp.text.tex] Another problem with INDEX and /newcommand

plaut@sc2a.unige.ch (Olivier PLAUT) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.220343.1298@dayton.saic.com>, fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:

> 	I am trying to put out a '\index' command from within a '\newcommand'
> defined command.  A problem arises when there is a '_' within the text I am
> trying to use.  Using a '_' directly with the '\index' command produces the
> desired results.  Using it from within the newcommand defined gives me:

I have the same type of problem with \index in a \newcommand:

If I use a newcommand, LaTeX transforms accents, as shown below.

That transformation will cause a mistake in the alphabetical order:
\'{e}thane will appear normally in lettre 'e'
whereas {\accent 19 e}thane will appear before 'a' in the index.

Is there a possibility to avoid this ?

FILE TEST.TEX
\documentstyle {rapport}
\makeindex
\newcommand{\idxtest}[1]{\index{_#1}}
\begin{document}
text page 1
\idxtest{\'{e}thane}
\index{_\'{e}thane}
\end{document}

FILE TEST.IDX
\indexentry{_{\accent 19 e}thane}{1}
\indexentry{_\'{e}thane}{1}

| Olivier Plaut. University of Geneva.      Geneva, Switzerland |
| INTERNET: plaut@sc2a.unige.ch         BITNET:  plaut@cgeuge52 |