[comp.text.tex] Not so BIG TeX

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (11/08/90)

I just installed Unix TeX version 3.1 (based on web2c 5.8a). There is one
problem, that I like to discuss. I installed two different \languages,
English and Finnish. The problem is, LaTeX with two different hyphenation
tables can't typeset documents, since its memory runs out. Well, there is
this bigtex patch, which increases tables. The problem is, it increases all
the tables, so result is, well BIG. Is there some patch, which keeps the TeX
about same size, but with larger tables for several \languages ?

--
Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (11/09/90)

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) writes:

>I just installed Unix TeX version 3.1 (based on web2c 5.8a). There is one
>problem, that I like to discuss. I installed two different \languages,

Big TeX's increase among other the main memory, and that's not
really what you need. The thing to look for is the parameter
called `trie-size' (maybe without the hyphen), which controls the
size of the tables used for hyphenation patterns. That one can be
increased even for versions of TeX that have to run in a measly 1M.
It is somewhere in the tex.ch and initex.ch file. Just alter that.

V.