[comp.text.tex] latex and continuous figure numbering

ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG) (11/07/90)

 an trying to get figures to be numbered continuously through my
thesis rather than numbered within chapters. I realize that I need a
\global command somewhere either in the \makecaption, \caption of
\figure definitions in latex.tex but I can not figure out where to
place it.

any ideas?.

By the way can someone tell me what the various lines in the figure or
table definition mean. What signifigance is placed on TYPE firstly
being a power of 2 and the fact that tables are different to
figures.??

Thanks all,
regards tony scott. ascott@gara.une.oz.au

In article <4593@gara.une.oz.au> ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG)
writes:
> an trying to get figures to be numbered continuously through my
>thesis rather than numbered within chapters. I realize that I need a
>\global command somewhere either in the \makecaption, \caption of
>\figure definitions in latex.tex but I can not figure out where to
>place it.

No: you need a different style file, or a style modifier.  Read the
`frequently asked questions' posting to find out how to reach the
style archives.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)

dhosek@frigga.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (11/09/90)

In article <27544@mimsy.umd.edu>, chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes...
>In article <4593@gara.une.oz.au> ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG)
>writes:
>> an trying to get figures to be numbered continuously through my
>>thesis rather than numbered within chapters. I realize that I need a
>>\global command somewhere either in the \makecaption, \caption of
>>\figure definitions in latex.tex but I can not figure out where to
>>place it.

>No: you need a different style file, or a style modifier.  Read the
>`frequently asked questions' posting to find out how to reach the
>style archives.

Actually, it's not as bad as all that, but to cut off "numbering
within" of something, you have to remove _all_ such numbering and
add it back in for the cases where it should be there. For
example, putting the following commands into a .sty file (say
mynumbering.sty) and using that as a style option would give the
desired result:

% First clear all numbering within for chapters:
\def\cl@chapter{}

% Next we add the items that should be reset: sections, equations
% and I think that that's all if we want figures and tables
% renumbered.
\@addtoreset{section}{chapter}
\@addtoreset{equation}{chapter}

-dh