[comp.text.tex] LaTeX to Plain TeX

grf@maadfa.ma.adfa.oz.au (Glenn Fulford) (11/07/90)

I have notced that there are available programs to convert
things like troff, wordperfect, PC-write into Plain TeX or LaTeX.
Does anyone know if there are available any programs to convert
LaTeX into PlainTex or LaTeX into AMS-TeX?

Glenn FULFORD,                  Phone	 :	+61 6 268 8887
                                FAX      :      +61 6 268 8886
Dept. of Mathematics,	EMAIL-ARPA/CSNET :	grf@maadfa.ma.adfa.oz.au
ADFA, Canberra, 2600.		UUCP	 :	..!uunet!munnari!maadfa.ma.adfa.oz!grf
AUSTRALIA			ACSnet   :	grf@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (11/08/90)

grf@maadfa.ma.adfa.oz.au (Glenn Fulford) writes:

>Does anyone know if there are available any programs to convert
>LaTeX into PlainTex or LaTeX into AMS-TeX?

In fact LaTeX contains most of plain TeX. One solution to
your problem would be to start up plain TeX, and then
\input latex \input lfonts
That way you have loaded LaTeX on top of plain TeX.

O.k. I know this is silly, but the question is silly.
Plain TeX contains just about nothing. No references,
no sectioning, no table of contents, no verbatim.
How on earth would you expect to translate that, other
than just loading one on top of the other?

Victor.

walter@hpsadle.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (11/13/90)

If such a thing were feasible, I would like to have such a beast,
since I frequently use macro sets that are incompatible with LaTeX,
but would like to be able to use some LaTeX style sheets, BiBTeX, etc.
that need LaTeX.  Since there are many people cleverer than I about
LaTeX, perhaps someone could tell me a simple way to do in-line escape
to (plain) TeX.