Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 22:10:02 -0400
From: beck@cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
Subject: Fig 2.1 Available

Fig 2.1 is now available for anonymous FTP from svax.cs.cornell.edu
or sun.soe.clarkson.edu in ~ftp/pub/transfig/fig.tar.Z, or by mail
archive server from Clarkson.  TransFig 2.1 is also available at the
same locations.

Fig is a graphics editor which runs under SunView.  Fig generates output
in a file format which can be translated, using the TransFig package,
into many output forms, including PostScript, the PIC graphics preprocessor
for Troff, LaTeX picture environment, PiCTeX, EEPIC, and TeXtyl.
A different version of Fig, called XFig, runs under X-Windows V11R4.

Fig 2.1 uses a file format which is not compatible with previous versions of
Fig, TransFig, or XFig.  Thus, it is necessary to install Fig 2.1 and TransFig
2.1 simultaniously.  However, Fig 2.1 can read in files generated by previous
versions of Fig: 1.3, 1.4(-TFX), and 2.0.  XFig 2.1, which will be compatible
with Fig 2.1, is expected to be available soon.

Most of the enhancements in Fig 2.1 were implemented by Dr. Baron Grey
of USC.  My only contribution was the addition of new flags to the text
object.  A summary of the most important improvements is included below.

Micah Beck				beck@cs.cornell.edu
Department of Computer Science
Cornell University

*  Several default values can now be set via the "change" panel item.
   Pressing mouse middle button in "change" mode will now pop up a
   window that displays these defaults. As before, left button allows
   individual object attributes to be changed. The code has been
   updated in several places to support these new defaults (they are
   defined in global.c). Default values are NOT currently saved with a
   figure (while this might seem desirable, there are many instances
   where it can lead to great confusion).

*  Compound objects can now contain other compound objects. Before,
   only primitive objects could be part of a compound.
   Now, one can encapsulate an entire figure as a compound, if
   necessary, and manipulate it as a single logical object. CAVEAT:
   currently, you can make a compound of a single compound -- but why
   would you want to do that?

*  Right- and center-justified text are now displayed as such as the
   text is being entered. You can establish the default text justification
   using the "change" panel item (middle button while in "change" mode).

*  A carriage-return anywhere in a text string now causes the cursor to
   advance to the next line. EACH SUCH LINE OF TEXT IS AN INDEPENDENT OBJECT.
   Thus, text entry must now strictly be terminated by pressing middle
   mouse button. Moreover, the text baseline spacing is adjusted depending
   on the default setting of the text size, even though the text is
   rendered in 10-point on the canvas (you can get an approximation of
   the actual size of the text by looking at it in zoom mode -- any
   zoom factor).

*  The default size of the canvas has been increased horizontally (760
   versus 600 pixels) to support figures in landscape mode (see const.h).
   The widths of the rulers have also been increased so that negative
   dimensions (obtainable in zoom mode) are now visible.

*  A general cut/paste buffer (called the "scrap") has been added to
   Fig. An object may be copied to the scrap (using middle mouse
   button in copy mode) or deleted to the scrap (using middle mouse
   button in remove mode). A figure may be read from a file directly
   to the scrap using the popup menu (right mouse button). The
   contents of the scrap can be written to a file using the popup
   menu. The contents of the scrap can be pasted on the canvas using
   the paste panel item (a new Fig mode) -- the lower left corner of
   the bounding box of the contents of the scrap (a single object or
   an entire figure) will be located at the mouse position when left
   mouse button is pressed in "paste" mode. A paste operation can be
   undone. The contents of the scrap are cleared before a new object
   or figure is put in the scrap; otherwise, the contents of the scrap
   is always available. The scrap is perhaps most useful for saving
   objects used many times in different figures, or pasting such
   objects into an existing figure.

*  Fig can now handle Sunview window-specific command-line options.

*  A simple -- but functional -- "align" mode has been added to Fig.
   Objects comprising a compound object can now be aligned based on
   the boundaries of the compound's bounding box. For example,
   aligning to "top" forces all objects in the compound to have their
   "tops" aligned to the top of the bounding box, and so on.
   This mode is invoked by clicking left mouse button on the align
   icon in mode-select area. When the left mouse button is
   subsequently clicked on a COMPOUND object, a popup window appears
   that allows various align options to be selected; when the "done"
   button is selected from the popup, the objects in the compound are
   aligned appropriately. More than one align option can be selected,
   but the actual alignment is done sequentially in the order
   presented in the popup window. Note that the contents of nested
   compounds are NOT aligned -- alignment is therefore for top-level
   objects only. "Align" can be undone.

   The method of selecting objects to be aligned -- by forming a
   compound of them explicitly -- is not the most flexible in the
   world. Fig really needs a uniform "select" operator.

*  Three new flags to the text object: Rigid, Special, and PSfont.
   These flags can be set in the text "change" box.

	1) Rigid text does is not affected by the magnification
	of the figure.  In previous versions, all text was rigid.  When text
	is positioned inside of objects such as boxes, it is usually desirable
	for it to scale along with the box.  Introducing the rigid text flag
	allows the user to specify non-rigid text; the default is still rigid.

	2) Special text includes text formatting commands for LaTeX or Troff.
	In non-special text, the control characters for these commands are
	escaped and so are not interpreted as commands.  The default is
	non-special text.

	3) I have added a psfont flag which specifies that the font is to be
	chosen from a different list of fonts, corresponding to the PostScript
	fonts.  The change window for a text object with the psfont
	flag set will show this list of fonts.  However, a text object with
	psfont specified can be translated only into PostScript, and not
	into the other output languages available from TransFig.  The default
	value for the psfont flag is false.

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 17:50:34 EST
From: "Michael Barr, Math Dept, McGill University"
             <INHB@MUSICB.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: PC/TeX

Since June at least, PC/TeX, Inc. has been advertising its upgrade to
TeX, version 3.0.  Since the major difference between version 2 and
version 3 is that the latter allows 8 bit input and what TeX is selling
does not, I must protest calling it version 3.  In fact, version 2 is
also supposed to allow 8 bit input, ignoring the high bit and the latest
from PTI doesn't do that either.  Thus the latest program from PTI
doesn't qualify to call itself TeX at all.  Who is minding the
trademark.

The situation is actually worse than not accepting characters with high
bit set.  It actually gives the error message, !  Text line contains an
invalid character. which I believe is a new error message not in the
older version.  That means that it is not just a programming bug, but
the program was intentionally designed not to be TeX 3 compatible.

I called PTI (and sent them an email message and mailed them a disk) a
bit over four months ago and I have yet to get any sort of reply from
them.  Now this is a commercial company that takes a public domain
program that is bug-free, or nearly so, optimizes it for speed and
sells it.  I don't understand how they even introduced such a bug and I
think it intolerable that after four months there is still no reply from
them.

While I am bashing commercial companies, I might add that I didn't
appreciate the tactics of VectorTex that advertised their ``Introductory
Special Offer'' that expired on Spet. 15 in an issue of TUGboat that I
received on Sept. 17.  When will companies realize that such bogus
offers simply ruins their credibility, without which their business will
surely suffer.  I certainly wouldn't trust my money to such a company.

Michael Barr

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 13:28:23 EDT
From: Masoud Salehi <salehi@omid>
Subject: dvips

The \special command to include a postscript figure in a LaTeX file
does not put the figure in the file. I have also tried the epsf and
\epsfbox commands with LaTeX and EPS files and they have not been
working either.

Any comment would be welcome.

Masoud

Date:    Thu, 25 Oct 90 15:04
From: BD05 at DKAUNI2.BITNET            F15WAL at DHHDESY3.BITNET
Subject: new symbol font WASY

        Dr. Roland Waldi
        Universitaet Karlsruhe            DESY
        Inst. fuer Exp. Kernphysik        F15
        Physikhochhaus, P.O.Box 6980      Notkestr. 85
        D-7500 Karlsruhe                  D-2000 Hamburg 52
        Tel. (721)-608-3559               (40)-8998-3637
        BD05 at DKAUNI2.BITNET            F15WAL at DHHDESY3.BITNET

There is a new symbol font for TeX, which can be obtained from
the Heidelberg bitnet server, LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.BITNET.
The font {\tt wasy} contains some of the {\tt lasy} characters, and
a lot more symbols. It does not contain letters and letter-like symbols
(like the upside down $\Omega$ in {\tt lasy}); those characters will
be provided later in different styles ({\tt teletype}, roman,
{\sl slanted} and {\ssf sans-serif}) as different fonts, to make it
easier to combine them with the existing characters.

An extension to PLAIN-\TeX\ for using the fonts is included
in the file {\tt wasyfont.tex}.

Among the symbols available in WASY are PC-characters, APL-characters,
astronomy, math and physics symbols, like:

male, female, currency, smiley, diameter, phone, bell, music notes,
planet symbols, hexstar, davidsstar, hexagon, pentagon, half-circle,
leftturn, rightturn, diameter, therefore, apprle, apprge, leadsto,
vertical integrals, alternate propto and more.

There are still unused places in the font table, which will be
filled in the future. However, the next version will be downward
compatible to this one, i.e.\ no character will be removed from its
current place.

You are encouraged to contribute to the extension, by sending your
favourite character(s) to me. Also suggestions are
welcome. The recent discussion about 256-characters fonts offers
also another possibilty: to use WASY as extension of the
CMSY font.

enjoy, R. Waldi

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 10:08:41 GMT
From: "Wayne G. Sullivan" <WSULIVAN%IRLEARN@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: METAFONT for MS-DOS

A PC version of METAFONT 2.7 is now available by anonymous FTP from
VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU as
SBMF11.ZIP;1          3-OCT-1990 14:09:17   242688/474    (RWED,RWED,RE,R)
It should be available soon from the ASTON archive. Thanks to J.A. O'Brien
for making it available on Yale-Venus.

Date: Thu, 25 OCT 90 09:27:31 BST
From: UHAH208@vax.rhbnc.ac.uk
Subject: Crudetype version 3

CRUDETYPE Version 3.0

First, I want to thank G-H Knauf, M Rawohl, J Warbrick, A Trevorrow and
P King, for many improvements which I have tried to incorporate into the
WEB program.

At present, this version runs on VMS and SUN-OS3.5 and "similar" versions
of Unix. I hope eventually to adapt it to web2c; but the language that
web2c translates is still nothing like Standard Pascal. The main changes
include:

256-char fonts;

Several new coding schemes;

Separate horizontal and vertical magnifications;

Two flavours of screenview.

Barring bugs, I intend V3 to support the Level 0 device driver standard,
except as follows:

2.6.1.  (Location of origin). This must be allowed to move or else a
negative \hoffset would force off the paper text which on a proper printer
would be on the paper.

2.6.3. (Range of movement). Standard specifies 2^31 units in any direction;
Crudetype only allows 2^31-1 because that is VMS Pascal's maxint.

3. Configuration. /D lets you specify the location of fonts. I dont know
what the Standard means by changing the "naming scheme" for fonts, but I am
sure you cannot do this without recompiling.

4.1. Font formats. Since Crudetype does not use raster data, it reads TFM
files only.

5. For reasons explained in my original paper (Tugboat v7) you cannot get
tolerable results on a lineprinter by merely rounding DVI units to printer
units. Crudetype has to do something much more complicated.

I have only seen a draft of the Standard, I dont know what changes may have
been made since.

As with V2, this version makes all existing changefiles obsolete. I hope to
get a new lot as time allows. The ones listed below are up-to-date. I intend
to send this to the Aston archive, requesting the archivists to put it into
this directory:

SITE:        UK.AC.ASTON.TEX
DIRECTORY:   DISK$TEX:[TEX_ARCHIVE.DRIVERS.CRUDETYPE.VERSION3]

The main files are: AAAREAD.ME  (lists some other files)
00FILES.TXT                     (list all files in this directory)
CRUDETYPE.WEB
VMS.CH
UNIX.CH
HPGF.CH
Makefile
VMS-BUILD.COM
NOSCHEME.ADD

R.M.Damerell, Maths Dept, RHBNC, Egham,Surrey, UK.

E-mail: Damerell@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 07:33:08 PST
From: john@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Hung P. Ho Jr.)
Subject: HELP, Tex Source..

Ladies & Gentlemen,

THis might be the wrong place to ask this question, but a friend of mine
gave me this address..

I am just taking over a couple of Sun4 servers.. On them are Tex 3.0,
just installed recently.. People are asking me to get the previewers..
I am looking for DVI Previewers for SUNVIEW, OPENWINDOW, and X11R4..

Thank you very much..

Thanks

                    ._. ._____   ._.
IAS JETSUN Net      | | | .__ \  | |		JOHN HO, System Administrator
                    | | | |__) | | |		   John@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
 NASA/CALTECH     __| | | |\__/  | |___		   ..!cit-vax!elroy!john
                /_____| |_|      |_____\	   hho@chaph.usc.edu

%%%          where xxx is the nearest geographical site in the
%%%          tree shown below
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%% Here is the BITNET re-distribution tree as shown in a recent
%%% REVIEW (The geography is guessed at from the subscription list)
%%%
%%%                        CLVM    TAMVM1      FINHUTC
%%%                           |    |     (Finland, UK, Scand, CERN)
%%%                           |    |           |
%%%  TeXhax ----> UWAVM ----- MARIST ----- EB0UB011 ----- BNANDP11
%%%                           |     (France,Italy,Spain)  (Belgium)
%%%                           |                |
%%%                        UBVM      HEARN --- DEARN
%%%                              (Netherlands) (Germany)
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%% Previous years in TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.dir/
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@MATH.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       3.0                   metafont  2.0
%%%    plain.tex 3.0                   plain.mf  1.8
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 (12/7/89)        cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09 (12/4/89)        gftodvi   3.0
%%%    tangle    4.0                   gftopk    2.2
%%%    weave     4.1                   gftype    3.0
%%%    dvitype   3.2                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    3.2                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    3.1                   mft       2.0
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%