[net.music] Science Fiction References in Music

rsk@pucc-k (Wombat) (07/18/85)

Spurred by the ongoing discussion in net.sf-lovers about sf references
in (mostly pop) music, I'd like to assemble a list of such references;
of course I'll post it to the net eventually.

If you've got such a reference in mind, please send it along, including
a (short) explanation of what the piece refers to; for instance:

Led Zeppelin, "The Battle of Evermore", Led Zeppelin IV.
	-- mentions the Ringwraiths of Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings"

1. Please note that references to music in sf are something entirely different.
2. Credit for the idea goes to Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>.
3. I think we can take the collected works of Hawkwind as a given.
--
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@{pur-ee,purdue}.uucp, rsk@purdue-asc.csnet
		rsk@purdue-asc.arpa or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/18/85)

A couple of other sci-fi related songs are:
  Children of the Sun (I don't remember who by)
    about the landing of aliens on the earth.  I seem to recall a few
    of the other songs on this album were also realted to this topic.
  The entire "I Robot" album by the Alan Parsons Project.
  A song about video games on a recent Lou Reed album.
  And about half the songs David Bowie came out with between
    1969 and 1976.
  '`'`'
   Ken
  '`'`'
PS sorry if anyone's already mentioned some of these.

There's the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" from a few
years back... anyone remember the artist?  (It wasn't popular for very
long.)

From the Crossposting Synapses of
a hacker
at&t [teletype corp.]

mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) (07/19/85)

Klattu did "Calling Occupants..." initially, I think, but it was later
popularized by The Carpenters.  (By the way, the Klattu album it
appears on also has "Little Neutrino", the only song supposedly
sung by a subatomic particle in music history, I bet...)

	- Mike

asente@Cascade.ARPA (07/20/85)

In article <910@druxo.UUCP> knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) writes:
>A couple of other sci-fi related songs are:
>  A song about video games on a recent Lou Reed album.

Saying "Red Joystick" is about video games is like saying "Little Red
Corvette" is about cars.
(Apologies for disillusioning those who think that "Little Red Corvette"
really IS about cars.)

	-paul asente
	    asente@Cascade.ARPA		decwrl!Glacier!Cascade!asente

tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) (07/21/85)

In article <281@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>There's the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" from a few
>years back... anyone remember the artist?  (It wasn't popular for very
>long.)

The band was called Klaatu (from the movie 'The Day The Earth Stood Still').
They wrote some pretty strange (though, perhaps over-produced) music. I
thought for a while I was hearing re-formed Beatles.

Check out Klaatu - Klaatu (has 'Calling Occupants')
      and Klaatu - Hope

Also, the Carpenters recorded 'Calling Occupants'.  Not nearly as interesting.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor

--
Steve Tynor
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!tynor

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (07/23/85)

In article <304@Cascade.ARPA> asente@Cascade.UUCP (Paul Asente) writes:
>>A couple of other sci-fi related songs are:
>>  A song about video games on a recent Lou Reed album.
>
>Saying "Red Joystick" is about video games is like saying "Little Red
>Corvette" is about cars.

I think he was referring to "Down At The Arcade".

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/24/85)

The band is 'Klaatu' not 'Klattu'.

Another band with lots of sci-fi music is 'Amon Duul' and 'Amon Duul II'.

'Children of the Sun' is by Billy Thorper.

   '`'`'
   Ken
   '`'`

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/24/85)

Sorry, I was just going on a dim recollection:
'Red Joystick' is definitely NOT about video games,
any more than 'Ten Inch Record' is about a girl who likes
to listen to the blues...

   '`'
   Ken
   '`'

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/25/85)

> There's the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" from a few
> years back... anyone remember the artist?  (It wasn't popular for very
> long.)

How about the song with the refrain

	...A lesson to be learned
	Traveling twice the speed of sound
	It's easy to get burned.

Or has this already been mentioned?  (I'm not sure that I would recognize
the title.)
--
					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

"To those who love it is given to hear
 Music too high for the human ear." 	--Bruce Cockburn

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (07/25/85)

> There's the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" from a few
> years back... anyone remember the artist?  (It wasn't popular for very
> long.)
>		Daniel R. Levy

"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" was recorded by the Carpenters.

The song was taken up by some orginization (World Peace?) as their "anthem"
and as such the track was "beamed" into outer-space as a goodwill message to
any aliens that may be listening. As far as I know, the song is still being
"beamed" into outer-space.

I only hope any aliens who hear it like Karen Carpenters voice, otherwise we
could be in for trouble :-)

--
 [ I bought a ticket to the world,
                              But now I've come back again - Spandau Ballet ]

bryanf@fluke.UUCP (Bryan Faubion) (07/26/85)

The album you want is called KLAATU or KLAATTU. It's a great album.
I made a tape of the album from a college roomate's disc and I still
listen to it 9 years later. Other songs on the album include:
THE NEUTRINO (not the exact title)
ANUS FROM URANUS
THE MAN WHO WENT TO HELL AND CAME BACK ALIVE (again imprecise)
and others. There are some interesting sound effects on some tunes but
the album is mostly musical. The Carpenters made a version of "Calling
occupants of interplanetary craft" which received more airplay but is
an inferior version. If I run across this album again I will
definitely buy it. As Joe Bob Briggs says: "check it out"

  Bryan Faubion
  John Fluke Mfg. Co.
  P.O. Box C9090    M/S 243F
  Everett WA  98206

  {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utscrgv}!uw-beaver--.

  {decwrl!sun,decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,ssc-vax}--> !fluke!bryanf

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (07/26/85)

Jefferson Airplane fanatics may or may not know that most of the lyrics
from the song "Crown of Creation" were taken from the wonderful
John Wyndham novel "Re-Birth".
--
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,whuxcc,clyde}!infopro!dave    People Phone: (201) 989-0570

lwb@watdcsu.UUCP (L.W. Borsato [DCS]) (07/26/85)

> The album you want is called KLAATU or KLAATTU. It's a great album.
> I made a tape of the album from a college roomate's disc and I still
> listen to it 9 years later. Other songs on the album include:
> THE NEUTRINO (not the exact title)
> ANUS FROM URANUS
> THE MAN WHO WENT TO HELL AND CAME BACK ALIVE (again imprecise)
> and others.

	The name of the band is KLAATU, and the album to which you
	are referring is their first, entitled 3:47 EST. They have
	six albums altogether. These are :

	3:47 EST
	Hope
	Sir Army Suit
	Endangered Species
	Magentalane
	Klassic Klaatu  (a sort of greatest hits deal)

	These albums contain a lot of neat tricks. For example, there
	is a song called Silly Boys on Sir Army Suit that is actually
	Anus Of Uranus played backwards. There are some pretty wild
	sounds too.

	The band was Canadian by the way, three displaced Englishmen
	based in Toronto. When Capitol Records picked them up in the
	States, they hyped them as the Beatles (about 1976). For the
	first three albums, they refused to reveal their identities.
	The albums are definitely worth a listen.

--

A memo from the desk of :

                       Larry W. Borsato

Just one step away from total mental collapse ... but fine otherwise.

{decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!lborsato

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (07/29/85)

In article <954@ihlpg.UUCP> jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) writes:
>> There's the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" from a few
>> years back... anyone remember the artist?  (It wasn't popular for very
>> long.)
>
>How about the song with the refrain
>
>	...A lesson to be learned
>	Traveling twice the speed of sound
>	It's easy to get burned.
>
>Or has this already been mentioned?  (I'm not sure that I would recognize
>the title.)
>--
>					AMBAR
>                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

This is from a Crosby, Stills and Nash song.  I don't know the title but it's
on the CSN (I think this is the name) album.

____

" Let there be songs to fill the air ... "

____
				Rea Simpson
				Lawrence Livermore Labs L-306
				P.O. Box 808
				Livermore, CA  94550
				(415) 423-0910

{dual, gymble, sun, mordor}!lll-crg!simpson
simpson@lll-crg.ARPA

clark@grdian.DEC (Dave Clark, 283-6322) (07/29/85)

> How about the song with the refrain

>	... A lesson to be learned
>	Traveling twice the speed of sound
>	It's easy to get burned

This song is by Crosby, Stills and Nash ....

Concerning plagarism - The song "Isn't it A Pity," from George Harrison's
first solo album, "All Things Must Pass," is purposefully similar to "Hey
Jude" by the Beatles, including the "na na na na-na-na na" chorus at
the end.

Dave Clark			"And he screams 'Why don't we celebrate?
				 Love can make you sad
				 Come on let's drive ourselves mad."   --BC

brewster@crystal.UUCP (07/30/85)

> How about the song with the refrain
>
> 	...A lesson to be learned
> 	Traveling twice the speed of sound
> 	It's easy to get burned.

The Concorde DOES travel at twice the speed of sound at upper altitudes.
I always thought that was what CSN were referring to, since much of the song
is about leaving someone at an airport.  Why is that Science FICTION?

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/31/85)

> There's the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" from a few
> years back... anyone remember the artist?  (It wasn't popular for very
> long.)

That was Klaatu, a group of Canadian studio hacks who did a mediocre ripoff
of middle-period Beatles and convinced a sizable number of gullible and/or
desperate fans that they were indeed the Fab Four, reunited under an alias.

This song was covered by (of all people) the Carpenters!  The way I heard it,
the late Karen C. believed she had had an encounter with extraterrestrial
beings and recorded the song as a result.

>How about the song with the refrain
>
>	...A lesson to be learned
>	Traveling twice the speed of sound
>	It's easy to get burned.
>
>Or has this already been mentioned?  (I'm not sure that I would recognize
>the title.)

That's Crosby, Stills, and Nash; the title is "Just A Song Before I Go".  It's
a Graham Nash song from "CSN".

AWR

tp@ndm20 (07/31/85)

A few SF references that spring to mind:

   Rush
      many (most?) of their songs. A few examples:
      2112 (based on a short story by Ayn Rand)
      Cygnus X-1, and Hemispheres (Cygnus part II), (anyone know if there is
         a direct connection to the Rosinante books?)
      The Necromancer (fantasy, are you including that?)
      Rivendell (Tolkien reference)
      The Fountains of Lamneth (fantasy)

      I'm not near my records. That list is far from complete.

   Kansas - Mysteries and Mayhem/The Pinnacle (fantasy)
   Pink Floyd - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.
   Van der Graff Generator - Pioneers Over c (c refers here to the speed of
      light)
   Someone already said the collected works of Hawkwind, right?
   Deep Purple - Space Truckin'

Terry Poot

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (08/01/85)

There's a song by Queen on the same album that had "Bohemian Raphsody"
on it (is that name right??), which seemed to me to refer to the effects
of Special Relativity - the following lines come to mind:

	"Don't you hear me call, though you're many years away?
	 Don't you hear me calling you?
	 Write your letters in the sand for the day I take your hand
	 In the land that our grandchildren knew..."

Listening to the whole song makes it more obvious, I think.
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (08/02/85)

[Go ahead bug, make my day.]

     It's not quite SF, but the classic of classics, The Lord of The
Rings, was refered to by Styx in one of thier earlier (?) albums.  I believe
that the song started out

	They came from everywhere,
	The young and old, the rich and poor....

      The refrain includes:

	All hail to the Lord of the Rings...

     And in the end you realize that the singer has become "a Lord".  I wish
that I could remember the title of the song or what album it's on, but I
seem to remember that it was relatively obvious.  Sorry that my memory is so
sketchy, but it's been a long time since I listened to the album.
--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (08/02/85)

In article <217@steinmetz.UUCP>, connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) writes:
> There's a song by Queen on the same album that had "Bohemian Raphsody"
> on it (is that name right??), which seemed to me to refer to the effects
> of Special Relativity - the following lines come to mind:
>
> 	"Don't you hear me call, though you're many years away?
> 	 Don't you hear me calling you?
> 	 Write your letters in the sand for the day I take your hand
> 	 In the land that our grandchildren knew..."
>
> Listening to the whole song makes it more obvious, I think.
> --
> C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
> 	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd
> An rud a bhionn, bionn.

	Quite right. The album is "A Day at the Races" (it's
basically all white) and the song is "Thirty Nine" (I think. I
haven't heard it in years.). The overall theme of the song
seems to be time travel.

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) (08/04/85)

> A few SF references that spring to mind:
>
>    Rush
>       many (most?) of their songs. A few examples:
>       2112 (based on a short story by Ayn Rand)
>       Cygnus X-1, and Hemispheres (Cygnus part II), (anyone know if there is
>          a direct connection to the Rosinante books?)
>       The Necromancer (fantasy, are you including that?)
>       Rivendell (Tolkien reference)
>       The Fountains of Lamneth (fantasy)

	Lots of stuff from Rush! In fact, just about everything from
Fly By Night to Hemespheres is pretty much sci-fi, fantasy, or even
science fact.

	Cygnus X-1 (Book One - The Voyage) - A Farwell to Kings

	Invisible to telescopic eye. Infinity the star that would not
	die.

	All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsom
	force.

	Through the void to be destroyed. Or is there something more?
	Atomized - at the core. Or through the Astral Door. To soar...

		- Neal Peart.

	Any astro experts out there? I'd call that a pretty accurate
description of a black hole.

	Also, Xanadu (A Farewell to Kings), is based on the poem Kubla
Kahn (author??). By-tor and the Snowdog from Fly By Night was actually
their first real song of that type.

	Any more hard core Rush heads around? Send me some mail!!!
How about a net.rushfans group (just kidding)....

"...One likes to believe in the freedom of music. But glittering prizes
 and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity..."

--
* Isaac Salzman (Gumby)
* UUCP: ...!randvax!ttidca!rdlvax!salzman or

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (08/05/85)

In article <162@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>In article <217@steinmetz.UUCP>, connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) writes:
>> There's a song by Queen on the same album that had "Bohemian Raphsody"
>> on it (is that name right??), which seemed to me to refer to the effects
>> of Special Relativity - the following lines come to mind:
>>
>> 	"Don't you hear me call, though you're many years away?
>> 	 Don't you hear me calling you?
>> 	 Write your letters in the sand for the day I take your hand
>> 	 In the land that our grandchildren knew..."
>> --
>> C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
>
>	Quite right. The album is "A Day at the Races" (it's
>basically all white) and the song is "Thirty Nine" (I think. I
>haven't heard it in years.). The overall theme of the song
>seems to be time travel.
>--
>Edward C. Bennett UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

Everything Edward says is true except the album name: "A Night at the Opera".
--
                  Al Schwartz
                  Pacesetter Systems Inc., Sylmar, CA