[comp.text.tex] How do I correct for Underfull \vbox ?

glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) (11/16/90)

I was able to use Knuth's "TeXbook" to determine how to change the
tolerance to correct for Underfull \hbox errors (badness), but I have had
no success in learning how to do the same for Underfull \vbox errors.
Specifically, I often get this error:

	Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) has occurred while \output is active

Then, TeX adds extra lines between my paragraphs to stretch out the page.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to correct this error?

Thank you,
Glenn
Glenn F. Leavell            glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu             404-542-3488
Systems Administrator
University of Georgia Economics Department. 147 Brooks Hall. Athens, GA 30602

jcorr@aegean.princeton.edu (Jim Orr) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.150302.17811@rigel.econ.uga.edu>, glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) writes:

|> I was able to use Knuth's "TeXbook" to determine how to change the
|> tolerance to correct for Underfull \hbox errors (badness), but I have had
|> no success in learning how to do the same for Underfull \vbox errors.
|> Specifically, I often get this error:
|>
|> 	Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) has occurred while \output is active
|>
|> Then, TeX adds extra lines between my paragraphs to stretch out the page.

     To allow uniform spacing vertically, you can try "\raggedbottom".
     It has always worked for me.

     Good Luck -- Jim Orr

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (11/17/90)

glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) writes:

>Specifically, I often get this error:
>	Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) has occurred while \output is active
>Then, TeX adds extra lines between my paragraphs to stretch out the page.

First, the extra space between paragraphs is not an error but a feature.
There is a parameter \parskip which is usually 0pt plus .1pt, meaning
that it will not stretch much, but in case of emergency (I suspect
that you have a page with only text and no whitespace) it will stretch
that however far is necessary. Your problem is (probably) that
your \vsize is not an integral multiple of the \baselineskip, meaning
that you get in trouble if you have a page without any explicit
vertical white space.

Easiest solution is to calculate \vsize from the number of lines
that you want to fit on the page. You may also set \vfuzz to
something like 5pt, but that's not exactly elegant.

And if you just set \parskip=0pt the space between paragraphs
will not stretch. You will stil get the error message, but no
visible manifestation of it. (This is not what 	I recommend,
by the way).

Victor.