[comp.text.tex] Help with removing latex commands

sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (11/14/90)

I am looking for a program that will remove all the LaTeX specific commands
from a document while preserving the structure of the document.  I have delatex
but that removes the structure of the document.  I do not mind if things like
equations, tables, and pictures are removed.  All I am interested in is plain
ASCII text.

I have looked into dvitty but that messes up the words.

Thanks for any pointers.

Sanjiv

Sanjiv K. Bhatia				Department of Computer Science
sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu				Ferguson Hall 115
voice: (402)-472-3485				University of Nebraska - Lincoln
fax  : (402)-472-7767				Lincoln, NE 68588-0115

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (11/14/90)

SKB> I am looking for a program that will remove all the LaTeX specific
SKB> commands from a document while preserving the structure of the
SKB> document.  I have delatex but that removes the structure of the
SKB> document.  I do not mind if things like equations, tables, and
SKB> pictures are removed.  All I am interested in is plain ASCII text.

If your LaTeX source is reasonably well behaved you can use emacs with
latexinfo to get a structured ASCII text out of your latex document. But
notice that there is no general completely automatic solution to this
problem (not that I know of at least). Whatever tool you use, you will
almost always have to hand-twiddle the output.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

oneil@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Graham O'Neil LESC) (11/20/90)

Hi,

In <4302@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:

>If your LaTeX source is reasonably well behaved you can use emacs
>with latexinfo to get a structured ASCII text out of your latex
>document. But notice that there is no general completely automatic
>solution to this problem (not that I know of at least). Whatever tool
>you use, you will almost always have to hand-twiddle the output.

Which caught my attention.  Can some one send me a pointer on where
this process is documented, preferably with a good example.  I have
been looking for an easy way to strip the \latex and \tex commands so
I can have a plain text of work in progress or else so the Writers
Workbench Tools don't go high order.

Specific questions are:
1. Where and what is latexinfo? I have texinfo.tex.
2. After getting into \tex mode in emacs, what do I do next?

If there is enough interest, I will summarize replies and post.

Appreciatively,
Graham--
Graham O'Neil ...oneil%NASA-JSC.span@{Internet.domain.name}  (713)333-7197
              ...GONeil@nasamail